Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1-is avondale heights away from the city centre?
how much time by bus?
2-i was intending to stay at a motel but an australian friend warned me not to do that as it is dangerous
is that true?
help needed

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi,

I don't really know about Avondale Heights but Sunshine, which is to it's West hasn't got a particularly good reputation.

It's about 12km from the CBD so maybe a 30 min bus trip.

There's nothing wrong with staying in motels, we done it and we've been absolutely fine and felt safe. There are reputable chains (Best Western/Golden Chain Motels/Budget motel chain) so google them to see where they are.

HTH
Dolly

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
2-i was intending to stay at a motel but an australian friend warned me not to do that as it is dangerous
is that true?
help needed
Did your friend say why motels were dangerous?
We've traveled around Australia several times staying only at motels. As Dolly mentioned there are some very good reputable chains of motels. If you are worried about your passport (or other valuables) you can always ask if they have the facility to put them in a safe for you. We've never had any issues with security at any of the motels we've stayed in.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did your friend say why motels were dangerous?
We've traveled around Australia several times staying only at motels. As Dolly mentioned there are some very good reputable chains of motels. If you are worried about your passport (or other valuables) you can always ask if they have the facility to put them in a safe for you. We've never had any issues with security at any of the motels we've stayed in.

Regards,
Karen
he told me that medium class and cheap motels are dangerous as my money and my luggage could be stolen there
is that true or what?

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
he told me that medium class and cheap motels are dangerous as my money and my luggage could be stolen there
is that true or what?
We have traveled around Australia (WA, NSW, Vic and SA) about 5 times and only stayed in motels and NEVER had an issue. All the motels were clean and safe.

I don't know what you'd class as medium and cheap motels - we stayed in motels belonging to the choice chain and the prices varied, since the rating was different - Australia Hotels, New Zealand Accommodations, Papua New Guinea, South Pacific and Asia - Choice Hotels Australasia..

Take a look at their website and you can decide whether you would put them in the medium to cheap range. We tended to stay in the cheaper rooms offered since we were traveling around for so long.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
these are not cheap motels i am sorry
they are called backpackersMelbourne City Budget Hostel Accommodation for Backpackers VIC Australia
Backpacker hostels are very different from 'normal' motels and personally I wouldn't stay in them since I prefer better accommodation than that so I can't help you.

And in comparison with hotels most of those motels are a lot cheaper. However what is cheap to one person is not cheap to another especially when we are talking different countries!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Backpacker hostels are very different from 'normal' motels and personally I wouldn't stay in them since I prefer better accommodation than that so I can't help you.

And in comparison with hotels most of those motels are a lot cheaper. However what is cheap to one person is not cheap to another especially when we are talking different countries!
iwas intending to stay there for a week or so
till arranging an appartment since i have no place to go there
but as he warned me
i dont know what to do
very confused and depressed
seems like plans would change

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
iwas intending to stay there for a week or so
till arranging an appartment since i have no place to go there
but as he warned me
i dont know what to do
very confused and depressed
seems like plans would change
Have you contacted any of the backpacker hostels and asked them whether they have a safe to keep your valuables? They may have something like that on offer.

Also have you contacted any letting agents in the area you want to move to? You want to know whether a week or so is a realistic time scale to rent somewhere.

Thousands of people manage to move to Australia every year and face the same challenges you do and manage to get through it okay so I'm sure that you will too.

We had already bought a house before we moved here so we didn't have to face that particular challenge.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you contacted any of the backpacker hostels and asked them whether they have a safe to keep your valuables? They may have something like that on offer.

Also have you contacted any letting agents in the area you want to move to? You want to know whether a week or so is a realistic time scale to rent somewhere.

Thousands of people manage to move to Australia every year and face the same challenges you do and manage to get through it okay so I'm sure that you will too.

We had already bought a house before we moved here so we didn't have to face that particular challenge.

Regards,
Karen
thanks karen for your attention
but actually i asked some friend there and they dont know much about these motels

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
thanks karen for your attention
but actually i asked some friend there and they dont know much about these motels
Rather than rely on friends who don't have the info, I would contact the hostels directly by phone to get the info you require. Most of them have websites with contact details.

Regards,
Karen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts