Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

so I moved to California a month ago on an E2 visa and I'm absolutely loving it so far. I'm pretty much here for the next 10-15 years (or as long as I want to be really).

My salary package equates to approx $130,000. Included in this is a $600/month car payment. This is used to hire car, with me adding a bit extra to upgrade. So essentially I'm paying approx $1000 per month to hire a car. Which then needs to be changed every month, or even every week depending on how long I rent it for (if there is a good deal on for that week then I just do it for a week etc)

however, I know that for $3-400 a month I could lease a decent car and save $600 a month...but do you think anyone would help?

so far, I've only tried 3 places, but each one has been a flat no_One company even said 'no, but here's a link to get decent rental with our affiliate' which would have resulted in costs of $1600 a month!!

They offer credit to people who have a history of bad credit, so why not someone who doesn't have such a negative history? surely someone who has proved they can't pay in the past is a worse risk (or surely no better a risk) than someone who doesn't have this?

does anyone have any options? if I never get any credit, then I will NEVER be able to build a credit history....and will be in the same position in 10 years

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
First of all, you can start building a credit history by opening a credit card account and keeping it in good standing. Set up the account for automatic full balance payment every month, for example. As one example, Capital One offers the "Cash Rewards Credit Card for Newcomers" which has no annual fee. Some retail stores still have their own no annual fee credit cards, good for shopping only at that store, that are easy to get, and having one of those card accounts in good standing counts. If you're absolutely desperate you can get a so-called secured credit card where you place a small refundable deposit with the card company -- usually $300 or so -- and get a card with a low credit limit. Wells Fargo has a secured Visa card with a $25 annual fee, for example.

A willing co-signer is often an option. Sometimes that co-signer can be an employer, at least metaphorically. For example, if your employer has arranged discounts with a particular car company or dealership, you should probably work within that program.

Another option is buying a used car outright. Or buying a more affordable new car. (The Nissan Versa is currently the most affordable new car in the U.S.) Or increasing your down payment. Or providing collateral to better secure the loan. Or some combination.

Another option is not spending $1,000/month on car rentals when you rent. Take the bus (or carpool) and rent less often if that's an option, or check lower cost rental companies such as the affectionately named Rent-a-Wreck to save money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.