Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
As a retired nurse and divorcee i am thinking of retiring to northern Cyprus, main concerns are health care, and whether to keep a bank account in the UK as well as opening one in Cyprus. Also is it sociable there?
Any help gratefully received
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Hi
As a retired nurse and divorcee i am thinking of retiring to northern Cyprus, main concerns are health care, and whether to keep a bank account in the UK as well as opening one in Cyprus. Also is it sociable there?
Any help gratefully received
Thanks
There are several issues that I can see. Firstly Northern Cyprus is not in the EU. It is an illgeally occupied territory. Therefore you would not be entitled to free healthcare there.
The republic of Cyprus (South) is an EU member so you have more rights and free health care if you are in receipt of a state retirement pension.

Secondly UK banks are getting funny about expats who live in Cyprus having UK bank accounts. Barclays is in the process of throwing out many of us expats. If you have an address in the UK or you have 100k+ in your account you are Ok.
The banking system in Southern Cyprus is healthy now and you can get your pension paid into a bank here. I dont know what the situation is in the North.

Veronica

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
There are several issues that I can see. Firstly Northern Cyprus is not in the EU. It is an illgeally occupied territory. Therefore you would not be entitled to free healthcare there.
The republic of Cyprus (South) is an EU member so you have more rights and free health care if you are in receipt of a state retirement pension.

Secondly UK banks are getting funny about expats who live in Cyprus having UK bank accounts. Barclays is in the process of throwing out many of us expats. If you have an address in the UK or you have 100k+ in your account you are Ok.
The banking system in Southern Cyprus is healthy now and you can get your pension paid into a bank here. I dont know what the situation is in the North.

Veronica
I would not say that the banking system is healty when they have more then 50% bad loans on their books

And sooner or later BoC has to pay back the billions that Laiki got from ECB. Was it seven or nine

·
Banned
403 Posts
When I was in the TRNC I got free health care. They have clinics in most of the large villages and in all the towns.
Very good expat social life as well.

·
Banned
403 Posts
Sorry but where have you found that information. Nowhere to be found, and I really doubt it. Cyprus president would not want anything to do with Israel if it was true
Just because you have not found anything does not mean that what I stated is not factual.

I lived in the TRNC for two years on our yacht. We were in a Brand NEW MARINA. It is called Karpaz Gate Marina. The several million that it cost to be built (it is magnificent) came from ISRAEL. Then after one year of opening they built a beautifull Beach Club costing many more hundreds of thousands.

The next thing on the cards is a botique hotel all above with Israely business mens comglomerate.

The comglomerate is also a huge mega yacht building company. The RUSSIANS have also ivested heavily into the TRNC, but I will leave you to find out how and where. I could go on and on but by now I think you have enough to go on.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Also recognised by ISRAEL. Who have invested BILLIONS into the TRNC.
Israel does not recognise the TRNC. If it did it would be at conflict with UN resolutions. Turkey is the only country to recognise the TRNC.

If they received BILLIONS, what happened to them? They are certainly not visible.

Please supply some sort of evidence to back up this statement which without which I can only dismiss as nonsense.

Pete

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Just because you have not found anything does not mean that what I stated is not factual.

I lived in the TRNC for two years on our yacht. We were in a Brand NEW MARINA. It is called Karpaz Gate Marina. The several million that it cost to be built (it is magnificent) came from ISRAEL. Then after one year of opening they built a beautifull Beach Club costing many more hundreds of thousands.

The next thing on the cards is a botique hotel all above with Israely business mens comglomerate.

The comglomerate is also a huge mega yacht building company. The RUSSIANS have also ivested heavily into the TRNC, but I will leave you to find out how and where. I could go on and on but by now I think you have enough to go on.
There is a huge difference between an Israeli citizen or company making a business investment and saying that Israel invested the money.

In any case there's a lot of money missing. You state the marina cost millions and the club hundreds of thousands. This does not add up to the BILLIONS you shouted.

Pete

·
Banned
1,576 Posts

As Pete said, business investments, from Israelis or Russians is hardly the same thing that Israel or Russia has recognized the TRNC. Azerbadjan was willing to do it but Russian pressure stopped them

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am afraid I agree just because buisness men invest in making things or provide a service to anothe country does not mean that their country of origin recognises that country, an example would be Borneo, or Iraq, weapons were sold to both, despite international condemation of both regimes, if there is an opportunity for money to be made, someone will step up to the plate.
P.S there are a lot more countries that could be named.
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
As Pete said, there is very little sign of these so called billions which are supposed to have been given to the TRNC by Israel.
When we were there a few weeks ago the general neglect of the place was very obvious with no sign at all that anyone is doing anything to make it attractive to overseas visitors.
Visitng for a few days like we did is one thing but there is no way in the world I would want to live there.
Incidentally yes Karpas Gate marina is quite nice. We found a geocache there (well to be accurate Pete found it:))

·
Registered
976 Posts
From Wikipedia:

No nation other than Turkey has officially recognised Northern Cyprus as a sovereign state. The United Nations recognises it as territory of the Republic of Cyprus under Turkish occupation. Pakistan and Bangladesh had initially declared their recognition of Northern Cyprus as a sovereign state shortly after its declaration of independence,but they withdrew their recognition as a result of US pressure after the UN deemed the declaration illegal. The United Nations considers the declaration of independence by Northern Cyprus as legally invalid, as enunciated in several of its resolutions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Cyprus

For Slow (OP):

As you can gather, most people on this Forum live in the Republic of Cyprus (RoC) ie South, and consider the TRNC to be full of potential problems. Clearly, it will be your decision, but forewarned is forearmed - just be aware of the potential pitfalls.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
From Wikipedia:

No nation other than Turkey has officially recognised Northern Cyprus as a sovereign state. The United Nations recognises it as territory of the Republic of Cyprus under Turkish occupation. Pakistan and Bangladesh had initially declared their recognition of Northern Cyprus as a sovereign state shortly after its declaration of independence,but they withdrew their recognition as a result of US pressure after the UN deemed the declaration illegal. The United Nations considers the declaration of independence by Northern Cyprus as legally invalid, as enunciated in several of its resolutions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Cyprus

For Slow (OP):

As you can gather, most people on this Forum live in the Republic of Cyprus (RoC) ie South, and consider the TRNC to be full of potential problems. Clearly, it will be your decision, but forewarned is forearmed - just be aware of the potential pitfalls.

The thing to hope for is the ongoing talks to solv the Cyprus problem. And it would benefit all. Not least the Cyprus tourism, because the noth has the best beaches on the island

·
Registered
976 Posts
The thing to hope for is the ongoing talks to solv the Cyprus problem. And it would benefit all. Not least the Cyprus tourism, because the noth has the best beaches on the island
Agreed. The talks seem to be going really well, and things are definitely changing. Who knows what the future may bring? I suspect that a Federation is going to be the final solution.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
Agreed. The talks seem to be going really well, and things are definitely changing. Who knows what the future may bring? I suspect that a Federation is going to be the final solution.
There is nothing else on the table. THAT they have agreed on, and is supported by UN and others. And it was also the solution the last time 2004, the Annan-plan that the Greek.cypriots said NO to in a referendum

·
Registered
976 Posts
There is nothing else on the table. THAT they have agreed on, and is supported by UN and others. And it was also the solution the last time 2004, the Annan-plan that the Greek.cypriots said NO to in a referendum
The late addition of various clauses to the Annan Plan favouring Turkey doomed it to failure.

This is one of the reasons why a simple re-unification where the clock is turned back to pre 1974 is highly unlikely to happen. Turkish Cypriots are developing a form of Turkish patriotism whilst Greek Cypriots still align themselves with Greece (Oxi Day etc) rather than as an independent country.

However, the positive small steps forward are most welcome and should help to build confidence. Such steps include the affable Akinci winning the election in TRNC, the easing of border restrictions, the lifting of telephone restrictions and as recently as last week the reconnection of the island wide electricity grid.

After 4 decades, Cyprus re-connects islandwide electricity grid

"Slowly, slowly catchee monkey"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts