Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I've been a languages teacher in the UK for 8 years and when we move in the summer to Ardeche, I'd like to carry on teaching in some fashion although probably not full-time. I'm obviously fully qualified in the UK and also head of languages at the moment in my school. However I don't have the CAPES and don't really feel like putting myself through the whole palava of doing the concours to get it!

Has anyone out there been in this position and have any ideas about how to get a job in this field in France. My mother-in-law (French) suggested I try the 'acadomia' website for teaching students at home. Does anyone have experience with this company? Would it be easier for me to be self-employed?

I've also written to a local Catholic 'bilingual' school to ask them if they have any opportunities for me but as it is 'sous contrat' I don't think that I would be able to be directly employed by them as a teacher so not holding out much hope there.

I'm planning on writing to the local mayor to see if the primary schools in the village need anyone to teach English but after that, I'm all out of ideas so if there's something I haven't thought of, please let me know :confused2:

Thanks very much

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Write to the Rectorat and the Inspection for your Departement, enclosing your cv and copies of your qualifications, and detailing how available you are (full-time/part-time/replacement), and how far you're prepared to travel within the Departement (half an hour/80km - whatever - remembering that winter conditions aren't anywhere near the same as summer). If you're on the edge of 2 or more Departments, write to all of them - each Academie operates independently at the level of teaching you're apparently talking about.

Also get to know the folks at your local Pole Emploi - you may have to register as a jobseeker, but they can tell you about that - as some jobs come up only through them.

The advantage of working through the Academie is that you become automatically entitled to health and unemployment benefits - and contributions to your pension, but you may find competition is very (un)healthy in your area so being as flexible as possible may be in your favour.

The other way of approaching it is to ask the Ecoles Primaires/Colleges/Lycees if they would have any interest in your running an "English Club" as a voluntary worker, so that you become known. I was doing that and picked up 2 jobs for 2 years, as well as some private tuition/translation work. Since the, our local College has become renowned in the Auvergne for the interest expats have in their youngsters, by going in once a month to have conversation sessions with 4ieme and 3ieme in line with their curriculum. Yes, there is an "assistant" programme, but some schools don't get one, and, in any case, an "assistant's" contract is only Oct-March and only for 12 hours max a week, so if there are several schools in the area, some miss out.

Our Chambre de Commerce in Clermont also organises English classes for local businesses, as does GRETA for individuals, so they might be another avenue to try if you fancy teaching adults.

Networking is the way to do (start) it .........
good luck
Hils

·
Registered
664 Posts
You can do everything Hils suggests and still sign up with Acadomia, Lauréat, Capcours ......

You can put an ad in leboncoin, put business cards in local shops, organise day-long "stages" for schoolchildren during the holidays

And if you do what what we did the Pole emploi send jobseekers to you for English lessons.

A long list of possibilities ....

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
btw, a school "sous contrat" isn't necessarily a problem; they still have to maintain the Inspection's curriculum and their teachers are paid by the State just as in any other school, and are entitled to every other benefit a State teacher gets, although I think the payscale is slightly different. What it means is that their "pastoral/non-teaching" care is paid for by the parents - ie catering, cleaning, out-of-hours care, etc. Their kids are entitled to every benefit they would get in the State system - transport, meal tickets if eligible, etc - because, unlike the UK, if you opt out of the State system here, your kid's "state allocation for education" travels with the kid to its new school, even if that means boarding Mon-Fri/Sat - a bit like health care where if you go "private" your entitlement to "non-private" subsidises the cost to you.

As far as being a teacher in that system is concerned, it may affect your pay slightly, but in all other respects, there's no difference.

H

Reactions: LizB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can do everything Hils suggests and still sign up with Acadomia, Lauréat, Capcours ......

You can put an ad in leboncoin, put business cards in local shops, organise day-long "stages" for schoolchildren during the holidays

And if you do what what we did the Pole emploi send jobseekers to you for English lessons.

Ooh, I like the idea of all of your suggestions - great, thank you :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
btw, a school "sous contrat" isn't necessarily a problem; they still have to maintain the Inspection's curriculum and their teachers are paid by the State just as in any other school, and are entitled to every other benefit a State teacher gets, although I think the payscale is slightly different. What it means is that their "pastoral/non-teaching" care is paid for by the parents - ie catering, cleaning, out-of-hours care, etc. Their kids are entitled to every benefit they would get in the State system - transport, meal tickets if eligible, etc - because, unlike the UK, if you opt out of the State system here, your kid's "state allocation for education" travels with the kid to its new school, even if that means boarding Mon-Fri/Sat - a bit like health care where if you go "private" your entitlement to "non-private" subsidises the cost to you.

As far as being a teacher in that system is concerned, it may affect your pay slightly, but in all other respects, there's no difference.

H
Thanks for the clarification, my mother-in-law led me to believe that they only took teachers with CAPES.
Lizzie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

By the way, how did you receive payment? Cheques emploi service? Will need to get my head around being self-employed - is there any advice you can give?

Thanks,
Lizzie

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you give private lessons you can ask to be paid by CESU - this doesnot require you to be self-employed - your social security deductions are taking off automatically, and full details will be printed on your tax form in May 2013.

For agencies you will be paid directly into your bank account. But I think Acadomia etc require tutors to speak French - no use trying to explain English grammar to an 11 year old in English

For these you need a social security number. You are an "employee", but not of any particular person.

The payslips that come your way will help you get into the French social security system, but you must accumulate 60 hours of work in 1 month, or 120 hours in 3 months.

If you want to do more, eg offer courses to employees taking advantage of their right to 120 hours of company-paid training over 6 years, you will need to go down the autoentrepreneur route. Not really complicated even if your French isn't great.

The past few months have been hectic for my wife and I, and bookings are coming in for children coming to us in the school hols for whole days. To think 4 years ago we were retired. But it's great fun

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, my mother-in-law led me to believe that they only took teachers with CAPES.
Lizzie
RE schools "sous contrat" - actually ANY school; that's nonsense (unless the rules have changed), although it does depend upon your understanding of "teacher". Our local Catholic primary school contacted me and employed me on the basis of my reputation in the area - still wanted a copy of my degree cert tho' (& I have TEFL experience, certified by a reference from the school where I was an assistante in 1977/8) - & they squared it with the Inspection. It does mean you don't have the status of a "teacher", you're only an "intervenante" but it doesn't negate the benefits.

As a result of that, the Inspection employed me in state primary schools for a further 3 years - similarly as "intervenante".

Since then, far too many French nationally qualified teachers have become/are unemployed & it's cheaper (on the basis of otherwise paying redundancy) for an Academie to employ a French qualified teacher to teach English, than to employ an English native speaker, albeit qualified enough - ENOUGH being the important word. Unemployment benefit to those such as myself is lower than to French qualified teachers; ergo it might not be best for the kids, but it's an economically sound argument, without any element of racism - it's the French qualification that counts.

All that said, embark as suggested, and then if, further down the line, you decide to qualify here, you'll have the support and financial aid due to you from having already been working here.

Suck it 'n' see ;)

Hils

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I should add that I was employed on a yearly contract, but that gave me paid school hols, and, in the end, it was my choice rather than theirs to make myself "unemployable" for any longer (family commitments: aged lone parent; teenage half-orphaned daughter).

I nevertheless got unemployment benefit for 3 years after that.

H

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.