Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm an IT professional, got my PR a month back and now that I am finally committed to the idea of migrating and have blocked my tickets, I'm excited about this whole thing and also bit scared at the same time, so I will have lots of questions to ask here :D

So about accommodation -
I'm travelling to Sydney in August and I have been going through sites like flatmates.com.au, gumtree etc. I wanted to know

1. How soon should I start contacting the owners, is 15 days prior my travel date ok? too late? too soon?
2. Anyone faced any problems once you landed in Sydney?
3. Rooms/facilities will really be as advertised?
4. Is it always better to find near CBD?
5. Any other similar useful sites?

Basically any first hand experiences / suggestions would help.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
This comes up a lot in the forum - you should consider doing a search. But to answer your questions -

1. Don't bother contacting people regarding housing until you arrive. Consider staying in a short-term rental via Airbnb or a similar service for a week or two, which will give you time to find more permanent accommodation.

2. This question is really vague so I don't expect you'll get much in terms of useful answers.

3. Obviously you need to inspect the property before you make a decision. In some cases it will be as advertised and other cases it won't. This is why you need to rely on more than just a couple photos and a description to make a decision about where to live.

4. If you won't have a car and will be relying on public transport, then obviously it makes sense to be as close to the CBD and/or as close to public transport as you can possibly afford.

5. https://www.realestate.com.au/share , http://www.domain.com.au/home?mode=share

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hello thenewguy, welcome to Sydney..I'm sure you will love the place..to answer your questions, just adding a few extra cents to what ozbound has already answered.

* Keep local currency handy...Convert all INR before your reach Sydney
* Gumtree and Flatmates are the best ones to find shared accomodation..if you looking for an independent apartment/house then, domain and realestate are the best ones
* Trains,Buses, Ferries in NSW are linked with Opal cards( a pvt. firm that provides customers an electronic card for travelling in NSW).... www.opal.com.au
* For short term accomodation, I've heard airbnb is useful, havent tried though
* Sydney is cold from June-August..so carry thermals and winter wear accordingly..

Reactions: thenewguy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers! I guess I will initially search through AirBnb or similar service. And yes, I would be using public transport, I have read about Opal, seems convenient and cheap, will definitely try that.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Hello thenewguy, welcome to Sydney..I'm sure you will love the place..to answer your questions, just adding a few extra cents to what ozbound has already answered.

* Keep local currency handy...Convert all INR before your reach Sydney
* Gumtree and Flatmates are the best ones to find shared accomodation..if you looking for an independent apartment/house then, domain and realestate are the best ones
* Trains,Buses, Ferries in NSW are linked with Opal cards( a pvt. firm that provides customers an electronic card for travelling in NSW).... www.opal.com.au
* For short term accomodation, I've heard airbnb is useful, havent tried though
* Sydney is cold from June-August..so carry thermals and winter wear accordingly..
Realestate.com and Domain both have share rental listings. There are a lot of dodgy listings on Gumtree especially. Do not take an apartment without seeing it first.

I wouldn't say that it's so cold in Sydney in the winter to warrant thermals/"winter wear". Temperatures range from 10-20 degrees (maybe high single digits in the early AM), so a light jacket/jumper/hoodie and long pants would suffice for most people. Maybe a scarf. But if you're from a tropical place you might find it cold, I don't know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts