Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
We are from the US, but have lived in the UK for 6 years and have UK passports (well, my husband doesn't!) as well as a brief stint working in Paris years ago.
Now we are moving to Pau for at least 6 months starting Jan 1, 2010 and I wanted to see what is available for mothers/kids.
My eldest daughter will be going to school, but my 5 year old daughter will be at home with me "home schooling". If we stay on in France then I will enroll her for the 2010-2011 year.
I know in France it can be considered a bit odd to have a 5 year old out of school, but with her personality I am better off waiting a bit. So, she and I will be looking for activities and classes and groups to sign up for/get involved in and I was hoping to get some help in locating events/people.
Anyone have any tips for me?
They don't have to be just for 'expats'--just things to do. Gymnastics, dance, cool playgrounds indoor and outdoor, playgroups...that sort of thing.
Thanks,
Beth

·
Administrator
50,441 Posts
My understanding is that there are lots of expat groups in and around Pau, due to some of the large (oil?) companies in the area. They would probably be your best bet for starters. The expat groups usually organize play groups and other informal kinds of activities for the youngsters.

AFAIK, school isn't obligatory in France until age 6(?) though most kids are in the maternelle starting by age 4 or so. As a result, there aren't alot of activities for the little ones during the week - except for Wednesdays, when the schools aren't in session. Best bet is to ask at the mairie (and not just your own mairie, but all the various mairies in the area - most allow "out of towners" to join in as long as their facilities aren't over subscribed).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bev (for both messages!).
I really appreciate all of your advice. It is such a help in the midst of so many transitions/negotiations!!
~Beth

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello,
We are from the US, but have lived in the UK for 6 years and have UK passports (well, my husband doesn't!) as well as a brief stint working in Paris years ago.
Now we are moving to Pau for at least 6 months starting Jan 1, 2010 and I wanted to see what is available for mothers/kids.
My eldest daughter will be going to school, but my 5 year old daughter will be at home with me "home schooling". If we stay on in France then I will enroll her for the 2010-2011 year.
I know in France it can be considered a bit odd to have a 5 year old out of school, but with her personality I am better off waiting a bit. So, she and I will be looking for activities and classes and groups to sign up for/get involved in and I was hoping to get some help in locating events/people.
Anyone have any tips for me?
They don't have to be just for 'expats'--just things to do. Gymnastics, dance, cool playgrounds indoor and outdoor, playgroups...that sort of thing.
Thanks,
Beth
Hi Beth,

I moved over to Pau area in July. How are you finding it so far? Our daughter who is 10 starts school here in September and I am also looking for baby groups etc to occupy the babies!

Let us know how you got on and if you are enjoying the area.

Natalie.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.