Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends,

I am planning to move to Melbourne from Singapore with my family. Those who lived in Singapore knows the biggest advantage here is safety and tax savings.

I would like to have an insight from you about how is life in Australia as compared to Singapore. How difficult/easy it is to settle there with school going kids and what are the things to consider while or after making permanent move?

Thank you in advance. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dear friends,

I am planning to move to Melbourne from Singapore with my family. Those who lived in Singapore knows the biggest advantage here is safety and tax savings.

I would like to have an insight from you about how is life in Australia as compared to Singapore. How difficult/easy it is to settle there with school going kids and what are the things to consider while or after making permanent move?

Thank you in advance. :)
I have lived in Singapore as PR before moving to Sydney 5 years ago. So, can share my experience here. Life is completely different in Oz. It's more like a US lifestyle. It is easy to settle down but not as convenient as it is in Singapore. Few reasons

- Unless you have friends that can help, initial few months would be quite difficult.
- Temporary Accommodation, living costs and job search would look daunting but do not lose heart (assuming you don't have a job in Oz and planning to search for it once you land here)

Best thing to do is to come here alone, land a job (this can take a bit of time due to many moving parts), settle down and then get your family join you.

Everyone has their own reasons for immigrating, so had I. I was skeptical at that time moving from Singapore leaving a very comfortable job into unknown territory. But, I'm happy with the move overall and consider that to be one of the best decisions I have made.

In terms of work environment, it is much more relaxed than Singapore. You get to spend a lot of time with family and can have proper work life balance.

With regards to the education, the public schools of the area you are living are mandated to enroll your child(ren), so no worries there. All you need is to provide address proof. Academic year starts from Jan till Dec. Again, education isn't as stressful as it is in Singapore.

Reactions: tusshhar

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have lived in Singapore as PR before moving to Sydney 5 years ago. So, can share my experience here. Life is completely different in Oz. It's more like a US lifestyle. It is easy to settle down but not as convenient as it is in Singapore. Few reasons

- Unless you have friends that can help, initial few months would be quite difficult.
- Temporary Accommodation, living costs and job search would look daunting but do not lose heart (assuming you don't have a job in Oz and planning to search for it once you land here)

Best thing to do is to come here alone, land a job (this can take a bit of time due to many moving parts), settle down and then get your family join you.

Everyone has their own reasons for immigrating, so had I. I was skeptical at that time moving from Singapore leaving a very comfortable job into unknown territory. But, I'm happy with the move overall and consider that to be one of the best decisions I have made.

In terms of work environment, it is much more relaxed than Singapore. You get to spend a lot of time with family and can have proper work life balance.

With regards to the education, the public schools of the area you are living are mandated to enroll your child(ren), so no worries there. All you need is to provide address proof. Academic year starts from Jan till Dec. Again, education isn't as stressful as it is in Singapore.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I am also skeptical about the move leaving comfortable, well settled life here but have to take some decision. Like you said I also have my own reasons for migrating. It is just after living 11 years in Singapore I feel it hard to take this decision and give up Singapore PR so wanted to know experiences from people who went through similar situation.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Hi Jaik2012,
Are you still maintaining your REP for Singapore or renounced PR completely?
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, got 190 visa recently. Planning to move in January. Want to ask about the tax on cpf interest and ,if i were to renounce pr and bring cpf money, will it get taxed? My husband has investment account, for us market only, if you can give an insight into the tax implication, that would be great. We have relocated some of our saving to CBA as well. Some into fixed deposit.but no tfn yet. Worse case i will get 49% on interest. Thanks guys. I m okay with complying with tax payable. I just dun wanna evade tax and create more problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SG or OZ

Hey Everyone,

I am in a similar situation. To start with here is my profile.

Duration in Singapore: Around 10 years.
Personal details: India and married to an Indian, have a son 6 years old.
Profile: IT Consultant. Working for Global Technology MNC (not a bank, Have branches in OZ). ICT and Advanced digital technologies. Total 16 years exp (14 years in the current company)
Education: Bachelor of Computer engineering degree from India.
Current Salary: 200k+; Spouse not working

I am a Singapore PR (got 6 months back) and recently got Australia PR as well.

Overall, I love Singapore and wouldn’t be asking this question but getting a citizenship (with a decent lifestyle) is one of our priorities. However, SG citizenship is a black box in addition of being hit and miss (especially for Indians). Whereas Australia provides a sure citizenship pathway and timeline with 5-6 years.

What would you suggest based on your SG and OZ living experiences? Shall I remain in SG or move to OZ? Should I consider any other point?

Appreciate you reading this.

Cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Profile: IT Consultant. Working for Global Technology MNC (not a bank, Have branches in OZ). ICT and Advanced digital technologies. Total 16 years exp (14 years in the current company)

Overall, I love Singapore and wouldn’t be asking this question but getting a citizenship (with a decent lifestyle) is one of our priorities. However, SG citizenship is a black box in addition of being hit and miss (especially for Indians). Whereas Australia provides a sure citizenship pathway and timeline with 5-6 years.

What would you suggest based on your SG and OZ living experiences? Shall I remain in SG or move to OZ? Should I consider any other point?

Cheers
Singapore is a great place to live, I lived there for 8 years but unfortunately I didn't get PR even after multiple attempts, hence it was easier decision to move once I got the Aus PR. If I had both the PRs it would be a really difficult decision. But here are my thoughts on comparing SG and Aus(Melbourne) after living here for nearly 2 years.

Money, Tax: Salaries here are bit lower (for IT) compared to SG from my experience, also the tax here is significantly higher. You may not get the same 200K salary in the beginning, but may be after few years you could reach that salary bracket. So you may expect a big drop in take home pay due to bit lower salary and huge tax. There are exceptions, I know some of my friends who got nearly same pay as their SG salary,but vast majority had to take a pay cut when moved here. I was on EP during my stay in SG, so I had no CPF, so my take home pay was higher. When I moved here AUD was weaker than SGD, when I compared my pay, it felt my pay was further reduced. The AUD is now back to almost 1:1.

Rent/Housing: Rents here are cheaper than SG, as you are SG PR you may purchase a resale HDB in 2-3 years in SG, but here you may get a nice landed property for that price. For the price of 3 bedroom condos in SG, you can get a very nice house on a decent sized block of land ( unlike 99 year leasehold in SG).

Car: Easy and much cheaper to own a car here unlike the COE system in SG, but car in SG is lifestyle choice than a necessity.

Groceries: We actually found the general groceries here to be cheaper than SG and much better quality. However, the Indian groceries are slightly expensive than SG prices, this may be true for Melbourne. Indian groceries in other cities are more expensive and choice is limited compare to SG. There are couple of Sri Murugan branches here, which is from SG and we find the cost is much better than other places.

Career: This may vary for different people, but in my experience be prepared to work in a job which is lower in designation / rank compared to where you are. I was in AVP level role but had to start back as analyst here. I took up the job to gain some experience in Oz, but got I promoted and in a better position now. However, I do know some of my friends who managed to get inter-company transfer and is same role as the ones in SG. So it depends, but in general you may have to start your career in lower ranks ( hence the salary is impacted too).

Job opportunities: For IT, there are more job openings in SG than Aus, so moving to other companies is easier there ( this again depends on the technology/ skills and my comment is pre-covid)

Domestic help: We never had domestic help in SG, but some who got used to in SG will find difficult here as you can only hire help on hourly basis and is very expensive. For some people this may be one of the factor.

Travel (pre-Covid) : Traveling from SG to India and other holiday destinations in Asia is much cheaper and faster. However, lot of places to explore in Aus and NZ, besides having a car allows you to travel interstate and explore places as well.

Weather(very subjective): We liked the weather here (Melbourne), as we get to experience the 4 seasons.

Leisure: There are more things to do here, lot of outdoor activities and more time to spend with family.

There other factors to consider as well, but in my opinion money and career wise SG is better as you can save more due to higher pay, spend more on travel and shopping, lifestyle wise Aus is better (true for capital cities) and yes, better pathway for citizenship (atleast for now). It depends on you on what you want to trade-off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Singapore is a great place to live, I lived there for 8 years but unfortunately I didn't get PR even after multiple attempts, hence it was easier decision to move once I got the Aus PR. If I had both the PRs it would be a really difficult decision. But here are my thoughts on comparing SG and Aus(Melbourne) after living here for nearly 2 years.

Money, Tax: Salaries here are bit lower (for IT) compared to SG from my experience, also the tax here is significantly higher. You may not get the same 200K salary in the beginning, but may be after few years you could reach that salary bracket. So you may expect a big drop in take home pay due to bit lower salary and huge tax. There are exceptions, I know some of my friends who got nearly same pay as their SG salary,but vast majority had to take a pay cut when moved here. I was on EP during my stay in SG, so I had no CPF, so my take home pay was higher. When I moved here AUD was weaker than SGD, when I compared my pay, it felt my pay was further reduced. The AUD is now back to almost 1:1.

Rent/Housing: Rents here are cheaper than SG, as you are SG PR you may purchase a resale HDB in 2-3 years in SG, but here you may get a nice landed property for that price. For the price of 3 bedroom condos in SG, you can get a very nice house on a decent sized block of land ( unlike 99 year leasehold in SG).

Car: Easy and much cheaper to own a car here unlike the COE system in SG, but car in SG is lifestyle choice than a necessity.

Groceries: We actually found the general groceries here to be cheaper than SG and much better quality. However, the Indian groceries are slightly expensive than SG prices, this may be true for Melbourne. Indian groceries in other cities are more expensive and choice is limited compare to SG. There are couple of Sri Murugan branches here, which is from SG and we find the cost is much better than other places.

Career: This may vary for different people, but in my experience be prepared to work in a job which is lower in designation / rank compared to where you are. I was in AVP level role but had to start back as analyst here. I took up the job to gain some experience in Oz, but got I promoted and in a better position now. However, I do know some of my friends who managed to get inter-company transfer and is same role as the ones in SG. So it depends, but in general you may have to start your career in lower ranks ( hence the salary is impacted too).

Job opportunities: For IT, there are more job openings in SG than Aus, so moving to other companies is easier there ( this again depends on the technology/ skills and my comment is pre-covid)

Domestic help: We never had domestic help in SG, but some who got used to in SG will find difficult here as you can only hire help on hourly basis and is very expensive. For some people this may be one of the factor.

Travel (pre-Covid) : Traveling from SG to India and other holiday destinations in Asia is much cheaper and faster. However, lot of places to explore in Aus and NZ, besides having a car allows you to travel interstate and explore places as well.

Weather(very subjective): We liked the weather here (Melbourne), as we get to experience the 4 seasons.

Leisure: There are more things to do here, lot of outdoor activities and more time to spend with family.

There other factors to consider as well, but in my opinion money and career wise SG is better as you can save more due to higher pay, spend more on travel and shopping, lifestyle wise Aus is better (true for capital cities) and yes, better pathway for citizenship (atleast for now). It depends on you on what you want to trade-off.

Hey Vivek,
Thanks for your detailed and elaborated comparison of life between AG & Aus. This really gives a great perspective to a lot of Indians in SG and looking to move to Aus (including myself) due to the same reason...

How’s the PR approval scenario currently for Banking professional(Sales & Business development) under Visa class 190 ? I would like to go for Melbourne as the first option and then Sydney as both these cities are best suited for my experience and future growth.
Thanks again for your help !

·
Registered
3 Posts

WOW! That's awesome response Vivek. Appreciate it.

It is definitely not an easy choice but you hit the right decision points to think/weigh about.

If we leave the money aside, my main concern is getting a citizenship and settle for good. This is where SG lacks, especially for Indians due to quota system. I am burdened by the thought, that after 10 years am still a SG PR - whereas I could have taken Aus flight and be an Aus citizen by then :)

What's your intent in saying "better pathway for citizenship (atleast for now)" - Can this pathway or timeline change and would Aus PR be affected?

I may have a provision for internal transfer at around 200K - Having this salary, what would you suggest - can I live a decent lifestyle and save some?

How is the old age and retirement scene in Aus - After paying higher taxes whole life - would I get better healthcare and retirement benefits compared to SG?

Cheers!

·
Registered
191 Posts

It is definitely not an easy choice but you hit the right decision points to think/weigh about.

If we leave the money aside, my main concern is getting a citizenship and settle for good. This is where SG lacks, especially for Indians due to quota system. I am burdened by the thought, that after 10 years am still a SG PR - whereas I could have taken Aus flight and be an Aus citizen by then :)

What's your intent in saying "better pathway for citizenship (atleast for now)" - Can this pathway or timeline change and would Aus PR be affected?

I may have a provision for internal transfer at around 200K - Having this salary, what would you suggest - can I live a decent lifestyle and save some?

How is the old age and retirement scene in Aus - After paying higher taxes whole life - would I get better healthcare and retirement benefits compared to SG?

Cheers!
200K is a high income group. You can live very comfortably with this unless you want to live a king size life like a superstar who wants to have parties daily.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey Vivek,
Thanks for your detailed and elaborated comparison of life between AG & Aus. This really gives a great perspective to a lot of Indians in SG and looking to move to Aus (including myself) due to the same reason...

How’s the PR approval scenario currently for Banking professional(Sales & Business development) under Visa class 190 ? I would like to go for Melbourne as the first option and then Sydney as both these cities are best suited for my experience and future growth.
Thanks again for your help !

Hi Sunny, I'm not really tracking the current approval timelines, did you get an invite already and submitting you application? If yes, then its just matter of time you will get the visa. Melbourne is a great first choice!

·
Registered
183 Posts

Cheers!

I meant "atleast for now" because no one can predict the immigration law changes, for now 4 years residency is sufficient to be eligible but some every now and then there are proposals to make this longer. It may/ may not happen.

It is definitely a great pay and a dream start for many new PRs arriving here, you should be able to have a good life style with it. (remember for that pay grade, you need to have private health cover)

Healthcare is good and you can access public system regardless of your income status and healthcare benefits are same unlike SG's medisave medishield where you may still end up paying money to public hospitals depending on your medisave balance. Every citizen and PR gets a medicare card, you could use this to get almost free health care services. We haven't paid for any clinic visits and hospital visits so far, as our Medicare card covered all those visits. I know a few people who have almost paid nothing for maternity and delivery, IVF treatments etc.,

Retirement benefits/ pension depends on how much money saved in your Super account (like cpf), honestly depending on this alone won't be sufficient as newly arrived PRs like us would start our super account in late 30s or almost age of 40, whereas average aussies start contributing to super account in early 20s and would have much more savings in super. So it would be better to do your own investments and retirement planning than depending on super.

Reactions: Sunny Gupta

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Cheers
I think I am in a similar situation as yours (although I don't have SG PR), and I have made my mind to move to Oz. If you want someone to be the bouncing board for your ideas, happy to jump on a call!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Sunny, I'm not really tracking the current approval timelines, did you get an invite already and submitting you application? If yes, then its just matter of time you will get the visa. Melbourne is a great first choice!

Hello Vivek, good to hear from back soon. I have just started my process, gave me PTE and now closing down on the occupation.. will be going EOI by end of Oct under 190 Visa.
I am assuming, it will take mom 12-14 months for the entire process.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello Vivek, good to hear from back soon. I have just started my process, gave me PTE and now closing down on the occupation.. will be going EOI by end of Oct under 190 Visa.
I am assuming, it will take mom 12-14 months for the entire process.

Please check the 190 historical invites from last year December. They are very very low. Also, some states have minimum onshore stay of 1 year as pre requisite. VIC almost exclusively invites in state candidates.

Don't want to sound negative but many of my friends spent thousands of dollars in last couple of years in tests etc. and didn't get an invite in either 189 or 190. The outlook for OZ PR isn't good from last financial year. Covid-19 has messed it up more.

Be prudent with your money, time and immigration plan. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Please check the 190 historical invites from last year December. They are very very low. Also, some states have minimum onshore stay of 1 year as pre requisite. VIC almost exclusively invites in state candidates.

Don't want to sound negative but many of my friends spent thousands of dollars in last couple of years in tests etc. and didn't get an invite in either 189 or 190. The outlook for OZ PR isn't good from last financial year. Covid-19 has messed it up more.

]

I totally agree with what MN8 said. It has become even more lengthier and uncertain. Would be good for you to wait before you burn time and money on this. That said, things can get better at any point, if not very soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Dear MN8,
Thanks for your valuable suggestion.. so do you suggest I should apply under 189 as it has more chances or invites ? Apparently I could not see the my occupation open under 189. My profile matches around 70% to MarketingSpecialist which I could see opening under 190 that too only 1 or 2 regions.
Do you suggest I should wait for 189 to open and then apply under the same ?
Thanks for help & advise !

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dear MN8,
Thanks for your valuable suggestion.. so do you suggest I should apply under 189 as it has more chances or invites ? Apparently I could not see the my occupation open under 189. My profile matches around 70% to MarketingSpecialist which I could see opening under 190 that too only 1 or 2 regions.
Do you suggest I should wait for 189 to open and then apply under the same ?
Thanks for help & advise !

Generally sales and marketing skills are not in Long term shortage list, they are in short terms shortage list, so you would be eligible for 190 only. That too few states, as you have noticed.

189 visa is only for long term shortage list candidates. So unfortunately you won't be eligible there.

Having said that 189 and 190 both are looking bad at the moment. There is growing unemployment in OZ due to COVID-19, so govt will keep this and any immigration avenues tightened at least for a year or two i guess, so local people can secure a living.

There is tons of info in this forum on these visa and actively seeking candidates. Go through it and educate yourself. This will take some time and attention but worth it.

As a plan B, think of Canada. It will be easier if you are younger, you and your spouse or both have masters (any stream) and even better if spouse has working experience in last 10 years. Check it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think I am in a similar situation as yours (although I don't have SG PR), and I have made my mind to move to Oz. If you want someone to be the bouncing board for your ideas, happy to jump on a call!

Good luck to you buddy !
I am in a similar situation..
In SG since 2010 and have applied for PR multiple times which has got rejected. Finally made up my mind to move to Aus and have started preparing for it.. But with the current outlook, the move also looks difficult due to lesser invites and occupation restrictions..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.