Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as we cant get state healthcare(self employed uk) or private insurance(dont cover pre existing medical problems) ..do we have any other options at all?

i am only asking before making further enquirys but as we have both worked here since 16 and paid full ni, do we have to tell our gp or could we possibly still get perscriptions here ,then hubby could collect when back in uk (every 3 weeks )
one medication which i now get two months supply(im hoping to ween him off this when we move)
plus every 6 months catheters/stoppers/syringes/medical tape ?

or if the answer is no ,would i be able to purchase these over the counter,or is this something i need to ask a spanish gp?

if i can do this we could then get cover via private ?

the rest of the family have no known medical problems just eldest son x

thank you x

·
Administrator
36,519 Posts
as we cant get state healthcare(self employed uk) or private insurance(dont cover pre existing medical problems) ..do we have any other options at all?

i am only asking before making further enquirys but as we have both worked here since 16 and paid full ni, do we have to tell our gp or could we possibly still get perscriptions here ,then hubby could collect when back in uk (every 3 weeks )
one medication which i now get two months supply(im hoping to ween him off this when we move)
plus every 6 months catheters/stoppers/syringes/medical tape ?

or if the answer is no ,would i be able to purchase these over the counter,or is this something i need to ask a spanish gp?

if i can do this we could then get cover via private ?

the rest of the family have no known medical problems just eldest son x

thank you x

at the moment, no, there are no other options in Spain at all in fact it would be fraud to still use a UK GP if you don't live in the UK - although some changes are afoot from April next year which would mean that you could still use the NHS in the UK after you moved here

I don't know exactly what these changes mean though - inasmuch as whether you could pop back every now & then & get prescriptions from a UK GP & have them filled there, or whether it's for operations & so on

I'd be surprised if you CAN'T buy those things in Spain in a farmacia - most people are surprised at what you CAN buy!

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Would it not be possible for your husband to be self-employed in Spain rather than UK? (still working in UK of course).

What about the scheme whereby you pay about 60e per month (each) to get Spanish health care - is this not an option?

·
Administrator
36,519 Posts
Would it not be possible for your husband to be self-employed in Spain rather than UK? (still working in UK of course).

What about the scheme whereby you pay about 60e per month (each) to get Spanish health care - is this not an option?
you can't join the new scheme until you have already been resident for a year - though for the future that would help

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
at the moment, no, there are no other options in Spain at all in fact it would be fraud to still use a UK GP if you don't live in the UK - although some changes are afoot from April next year which would mean that you could still use the NHS in the UK after you moved here

I don't know exactly what these changes mean though - inasmuch as whether you could pop back every now & then & get prescriptions from a UK GP & have them filled there, or whether it's for operations & so on

I'd be surprised if you CAN'T buy those things in Spain in a farmacia - most people are surprised at what you CAN buy!
thank you i didnt know thats why i asked re still using our gp here x
i think ill keep looking for private but wait till april to see what changes come in x

·
Administrator
36,519 Posts
Is that based on padron date or residencia date? Hmmm.... open to interpretation I wonder?
resident registration date afaik - in fact, you're also specifically excluded if you were registered & fiscally resident before April 24th 2012

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

i really dont know i think we will have to send some more emails regarding the job,however he has seen one in the area on the job site for his trade so maybe would be another option to keep looking for employment with the care work to fall back on .

regarding the scheme ,first ive heard can you tell me more please xx

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you can't join the new scheme until you have already been resident for a year - though for the future that would help

that would be great because i could get medical supplys to last a year if i start doubling up now ,so would only have the medication to buy thats if i cant ween him off it by then ... then i could get private for us all i know his condition would not be covered but i do have back up funds just incase :)

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
that would be great because i could get medical supplys to last a year if i start doubling up now ,so would only have the medication to buy thats if i cant ween him off it by then ... then i could get private for us all i know his condition would not be covered but i do have back up funds just incase :)
I would advise you to find out what the cost of any private procedures would be before taking out any insurance. You need to know exactly what you will get from your scheme and rough estimates of costs of further treatment if needed.
I need a cataract op..private costs €6000 per eye.:(
So I shall go on the waiting list for Andalucia health care and put up with the inconvenience of waiting.
Private medical procedures are breathtakingly expensive. My partner spent over €5000 euros to have a few melanomas removed three years ago. Between us we've spent over &4000 euros on dental work sinve we came in late 2008.
Mind you, the days od NHS dentistry in the UK eere over before we leftin 2005..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would advise you to find out what the cost of any private procedures would be before taking out any insurance. You need to know exactly what you will get from your scheme and rough estimates of costs of further treatment if needed.
I need a cataract op..private costs €6000 per eye.:(
So I shall go on the waiting list for Andalucia health care and put up with the inconvenience of waiting.
Private medical procedures are breathtakingly expensive. My partner spent over €5000 euros to have a few melanomas removed three years ago. Between us we've spent over &4000 euros on dental work sinve we came in late 2008.
Mind you, the days od NHS dentistry in the UK eere over before we leftin 2005..
thank you i will ,im just sorting out quotes at the moment to see whats what , how much is it for an appointment at the dentist for a checkup..i know all regions vary and will go in and find out exact costs in febuary when we are back over ,plus going to make an appointment with m.i.l gp and ask him a few questions re medication and costs x

·
Administrator
36,519 Posts
thank you i will ,im just sorting out quotes at the moment to see whats what , how much is it for an appointment at the dentist for a checkup..i know all regions vary and will go in and find out exact costs in febuary when we are back over ,plus going to make an appointment with m.i.l gp and ask him a few questions re medication and costs x
I paid 40/50€ for a dental check up a few months ago

I'm trying to put it out of my mind.......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its only £25 here but the cost of a front tooth capped cost me £200 years ago:( seem to remember hubby having a tooth out over there in Spain and it was much cheaper but that was years ago..will have to go in and find out x

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
its only £25 here but the cost of a front tooth capped cost me £200 years ago:( seem to remember hubby having a tooth out over there in Spain and it was much cheaper but that was years ago..will have to go in and find out x
You are younger and hopefully fitter than I ...my partner is pretty tough and resilient, thankfully. So you don't have to expect the problems of getting older yet.
When we left the UK in 2005 I was in excellent health, as far as I knew. I ignored little warning signs, thought they would go away...but alas 'twas not the case..:rolleyes: But I feel I'm in good hands here.

As for dentistry...if ever I get murdered and my decomposing corpse is discovered by someone's dog I'll be easily identified by my dental records..bridgework, crowns, scarcely an untouched tooth in my mouth.. But toothache can make you feel suicidal, you can't ignore that. I think it should be treated like any other illness on the NHS or Spanish system, free at point of use.

But joking apart, you never know what might happen so you do need to be prepared...to know the ins and outs of a duck's arse, as my partner's employees used to say.. A good idea to talk it all over with the doctor at the local ambulatorio where your mil lives.

That's one of your two big issues to sort, the other being the amount required for residency. But you're well on the way to finding out what you need to know. Keep digging!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Mary, my parents have been quoted far less for their cataracts...

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Mary, my parents have been quoted far less for their cataracts...
Here in Spain? I must admit it's getting more and more difficult to read in artificial light. I'm against private medicine on principle really.

I feel like an old engine..too many components in need of repair or replacement.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
i do not think stock piling medications etc is going to solve the issue. What happens if your son becomes ill, with no pre exisiting cover its a huge risk

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Frankly, I thik it would be completely stupid to even consider moving without full healthcare, no expemtions, for all of you. Just stockpiling bits and pieces for your son is not the answer.

What happens if your son falls ill or has an accident in Spain? I've no idea what his level of mobility is, but assuming it is normal, he could have a fall like any of us, break an arm or a leg, get run over by a bus, never mind any complications associated with his existing problems. Then what......? Even those who are totally healthy have unexpected incidents and accidents requiring urgent medical care.Can't exactly get on a plane back to Doc/ hospital then, can you?

That is ignoring the fact that it is illegal to use the NHS if you are not resident in the UK.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Frankly, I thik it would be completely stupid to even consider moving without full healthcare, no expemtions, for all of you. Just stockpiling bits and pieces for your son is not the answer.

What happens if your son falls ill or has an accident in Spain? I've no idea what his level of mobility is, but assuming it is normal, he could have a fall like any of us, break an arm or a leg, get run over by a bus, never mind any complications associated with his existing problems. Then what......? Even those who are totally healthy have unexpected incidents and accidents requiring urgent medical care.Can't exactly get on a plane back to Doc/ hospital then, can you?

That is ignoring the fact that it is illegal to use the NHS if you are not resident in the UK.
I couldn't agree more. Eight years ago when we left the UK we were both fit and healthy.
We never thought we'd have problems apart from the usual occasional cold.
First casualty was Sandra. While we were in Prague, Azor, then only one but very powerful, gave her a playful 'kiss' ..and caused a hairline fracture of the upper jaw, damaging her top front teeth. Months of expensive dental work..about £4k worth!!
Then in Spain she developed skin nasties...more expense as she wasn't old enough to qualify for free health care.
Now I've got some problems..
And it could happen at any age.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are younger and hopefully fitter than I ...my partner is pretty tough and resilient, thankfully. So you don't have to expect the problems of getting older yet.
When we left the UK in 2005 I was in excellent health, as far as I knew. I ignored little warning signs, thought they would go away...but alas 'twas not the case..:rolleyes: But I feel I'm in good hands here.

As for dentistry...if ever I get murdered and my decomposing corpse is discovered by someone's dog I'll be easily identified by my dental records..bridgework, crowns, scarcely an untouched tooth in my mouth.. But toothache can make you feel suicidal, you can't ignore that. I think it should be treated like any other illness on the NHS or Spanish system, free at point of use.

But joking apart, you never know what might happen so you do need to be prepared...to know the ins and outs of a duck's arse, as my partner's employees used to say.. A good idea to talk it all over with the doctor at the local ambulatorio where your mil lives.

That's one of your two big issues to sort, the other being the amount required for residency. But you're well on the way to finding out what you need to know. Keep digging!
I like to be prepared for the worst and i wont make the move until every final detail is in place , as i said we have been saving 10 years ,and another 12 ,18 months or 2 years wont make a difference . i have 3 issues also have schooling to sort hopefully will beable make more enquirys in febuary about all 3 xxthank you great advice from everyone .i knew it would never be easy just glad i can do all this beforehand to make things easier in the end x

1 - 20 of 43 Posts