Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 25 and have just moved to La Rochelle with my french partener, I can understand french not to badly but i really struggle to speak. I have tried a few courses already and they are either to easy or to hard.
I obviously am looking for a job as we plan to be here for a long time. I have already changed my resume into french and passed it around some of the agencies around town, I am able to teach English and am wondering how to go about advertising that i can teach or help people improve there language at home etc.
My questions really are does anyone know or have any ideas about places or companies that would employ a very skilled worker who is learning french but cannot yet speak it well and if any one knows of any good places to learn french....

I really like this area and I hope to settle in well, obviously i understand transitions like this are hard so any information to help would be fantastic.

All replies would be welcome

·
Registered
1 Posts
French Help

I am 25 and have just moved to La Rochelle with my french partener, I can understand french not to badly but i really struggle to speak. I have tried a few courses already and they are either to easy or to hard.
I obviously am looking for a job as we plan to be here for a long time. I have already changed my resume into french and passed it around some of the agencies around town, I am able to teach English and am wondering how to go about advertising that i can teach or help people improve there language at home etc.
My questions really are does anyone know or have any ideas about places or companies that would employ a very skilled worker who is learning french but cannot yet speak it well and if any one knows of any good places to learn french....

I really like this area and I hope to settle in well, obviously i understand transitions like this are hard so any information to help would be fantastic.

All replies would be welcome
I understand your concern. Most courses in Languages do not help due to their sheer lack of understanding of pedagogy. I would be glad to help.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Good morning - no-one ever got rich teaching English - but here are a few pointers that might help you get started:

Have some A5 leaflets printed and ask local shopkeepers to leave them on the counter - but buy some products there first.
Put adverts in local newspapers and contact websites.
Are there any international language schools in town? Just drop in with your CV. These schools look for people who can teach business English.
Are you a qualified teacher? Join some tutoring agencies.
Is their room in your house to take in some adults or children for short (3day?) immersion courses?

If you have a TEFL qualification that could help, but business people and children want "correct English" - grammar, spelling etc. I have found that a lot of the students know the rules of English grammar better than I do.

TEFL courses encourage teachers only to speak English to the students, but I have found that the students often want a quick, simple explanation in French - rather than a convoluted explanation in English, especially if the level of their English is not great. This might present a problem if your French is not wonderful.

Currently my wife and I teach around 25 hours per week - a great way of making friends and bringing in some cash.

Good luck.

G

·
Capefoxsa, welcome to ExpatForum :)

Lovely town, La Rochelle.

What sort of skills do you have? As for teaching English, do you have a TEFL diploma, or equivalent? A degree? Both would help, especially if you are looking for a job as opposed to just doing private lessons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Capefoxsa, welcome to ExpatForum :)

Lovely town, La Rochelle.

What sort of skills do you have? As for teaching English, do you have a TEFL diploma, or equivalent? A degree? Both would help, especially if you are looking for a job as opposed to just doing private lessons.
yes it is lovely town, i relly like it. I have a TEFL qualification for English. Skill wise I have an honours degree in business management, i have had nearly 10 years of business experience, for the past year i have been an accounts clerk, previous to that its been office management etc. Its hard to prove to people out here s my french is as yet not great, that im a very hard and dedicated worker and i that i would love to find a business tht appreciates that and understands that i would stay with a business for a long time. The teaching may bring in a bit of money at first but i need something for the long run nd something i can grow in. Again any help would be great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good morning - no-one ever got rich teaching English - but here are a few pointers that might help you get started:

Have some A5 leaflets printed and ask local shopkeepers to leave them on the counter - but buy some products there first.
Put adverts in local newspapers and contact websites.
Are there any international language schools in town? Just drop in with your CV. These schools look for people who can teach business English.
Are you a qualified teacher? Join some tutoring agencies.
Is their room in your house to take in some adults or children for short (3day?) immersion courses?

If you have a TEFL qualification that could help, but business people and children want "correct English" - grammar, spelling etc. I have found that a lot of the students know the rules of English grammar better than I do.

TEFL courses encourage teachers only to speak English to the students, but I have found that the students often want a quick, simple explanation in French - rather than a convoluted explanation in English, especially if the level of their English is not great. This might present a problem if your French is not wonderful.

Currently my wife and I teach around 25 hours per week - a great way of making friends and bringing in some cash.

Good luck.
Thank you for your help. I have a TEFL qualification yes, and from the people o have spoken to so far they also have said the same that people likea translation in french. At the end of the day i suppose i cant hurt to try, an this would also help my french. Thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
I know it's about teaching again - but it's a start - any private schools in town? Many have streams where children with a good level of English are taught various subjects in English - even from the age of 13. To work in a private school you don't need to be a French national.

Re working for companies - look for ones who operate on a European or world-wide basis, or export their products. The local phone book is a good enough place to start. You can just post your CV (in French, with a picture, and using a French style). Don't forget a good covering letter - lettre de motivation - your partner will obviously help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.