Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I'm creating this thread to share the interview experience of IT professionals.
I have been in sydney from sep 6th,started applying for jobs from sep 12th..

Not even single face-face interview...worried much

·
Registered
81 Posts
australia.ind said:
Guys,

Can you please let us know your numbers of years work experience and any overseas experience?

I have 12+ years of workex in JAVA/J2EE and validated my PR in July 2013 and looking forward to move to Aus from US soon.

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi srini i have arnd 9 yrs of exp in java/j2ee and 3.5 ys exp in US... i wud say better after Jan..
I hear from ppl that during feb will have more openings

·
Registered
81 Posts
australia.ind said:
Hi srini i have arnd 9 yrs of exp in java/j2ee and 3.5 ys exp in US... i wud say better after Jan..
I hear from ppl that during feb will have more openings
Great to hear so hope you will not get trapped into "local experience" issue as you have 3.5 years of English speaking country experience.

For me out of 12+ years- 1 year in UK, 2 years in Germany and 4.3 years in US and counting.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great to hear so hope you will not get trapped into "local experience" issue as you have 3.5 years of English speaking country experience.

For me out of 12+ years- 1 year in UK, 2 years in Germany and 4.3 years in US and counting.

Not exactly,few agents say that Australian Business is different from US(obviously)..
so they prefer ppl who got local exp first.

I hope java,j2ee code is same across the world...I think we don't have any specific code for australia :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Guys,

What Challenges are you facing ?

I suggest to get your Linkedin Profile ramped up with some recommendations and endorsements. Try contacting the Australian IT recruiters directly form Linkedin. Make sure CV is up to date and to the point.
Currently things like TDD, BDD, JVM Performance and Java 5 Concurrent package is in demand so suggest you to include these in your CV and get some hands on with it.
Most of the biggies now a days work in the Agile environment and given your experience its important for you to kow things like Scrum, Kanban, Quality assurance and estimation techniques.

Just few cents from me..and all the best for your hunt. I am sure you will definitely succeed. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What Challenges are you facing ?

I suggest to get your Linkedin Profile ramped up with some recommendations and endorsements. Try contacting the Australian IT recruiters directly form Linkedin. Make sure CV is up to date and to the point.
Currently things like TDD, BDD, JVM Performance and Java 5 Concurrent package is in demand so suggest you to include these in your CV and get some hands on with it.
Most of the biggies now a days work in the Agile environment and given your experience its important for you to kow things like Scrum, Kanban, Quality assurance and estimation techniques.

Just few cents from me..and all the best for your hunt. I am sure you will definitely succeed. :)
Thanks Asish,
Updated my linked in profile,everyday in touch with recruiters,have exp in Agile ...
still facing pblm...4-5 agents shortlisted and submitted to the client,but got feeback that they give first priority to ppl who have local exp..

Hope for the best ..Thanks for ur opinion..

If you don't mind,How long it took for you to secure a job?Are you into java/j2ee? How was the interview?
It wud be helpful for us if you can share the info

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks Asish,
Updated my linked in profile,everyday in touch with recruiters,have exp in Agile ...
still facing pblm...4-5 agents shortlisted and submitted to the client,but got feeback that they give first priority to ppl who have local exp..

Hope for the best ..Thanks for ur opinion..

If you don't mind,How long it took for you to secure a job?Are you into java/j2ee? How was the interview?
It wud be helpful for us if you can share the info
I am still in India and currently a J2EE arch and not done with my process yet. The current time is little bit slow w.r.t jobs especially in Aus. In Australia word of mouth is best and quickest way to get the job, if you go by the formal route (consultant/recruiters) you are going to face the same situation. usually it takes 3 odd months to settle down. I suggest try applying using your contacts.

As per interview process goes, generally Aus clients probe you based on your CV. So refine your CV as per your "real" skill set. I have not given any interview personally but this is what i keep hearing from my friends who went some time back. Few of my friends are there in Sydney who work for .NET domain I will check with them for any J2EE related jobs in their organization once I see them online.

Try posting your CV with atlassian/thought works. These are really good companies and I am sure you will get a call (i once applied just for fun and next day I had an online test landed in my mailbox). They usually test for your OOAD and design skills majorly.

All the best. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am still in India and currently a J2EE arch and not done with my process yet. The current time is little bit slow w.r.t jobs especially in Aus. In Australia word of mouth is best and quickest way to get the job, if you go by the formal route (consultant/recruiters) you are going to face the same situation. usually it takes 3 odd months to settle down. I suggest try applying using your contacts.

As per interview process goes, generally Aus clients probe you based on your CV. So refine your CV as per your "real" skill set. I have not given any interview personally but this is what i keep hearing from my friends who went some time back. Few of my friends are there in Sydney who work for .NET domain I will check with them for any J2EE related jobs in their organization once I see them online.

Try posting your CV with atlassian/thought works. These are really good companies and I am sure you will get a call (i once applied just for fun and next day I had an online test landed in my mailbox). They usually test for your OOAD and design skills majorly.

All the best. :)
Thanks Ashish ..

Reactions: lifeisajourney

·
Registered
637 Posts
I am an almost similar profile like yours. It is worrying to know that you have been trying for over a month and have not got interview calls. Good luck man.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just a question is it possible to directly meet employer by visiting their office.
Also is there any jobs site specific to start up's.
Thanks
Sudhakar

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hello Java fellows,

I have been away for some time from this wonderful place however I stumbled on this thread. I am a Java/J2EE developer with 6.5 years experience and I have been here for the last 3 months. I am looking for a job but still no luck.

Let me tell you one thing straight - Java/J2EE has a considerable small market share than .Net, the major competitor. A lot of Java jobs need working knowledge of both techs. or emphasise on domain exp. Moreover, local exp. factor is another major deterrent.

I have received calls from recruiters but no interviews up till now. The market is very dull and some people have even shifted from Java/J2EE to some other domains. However, I know people who are in other technologies like testing, SAP, etc and facing a similar issue. Henceforth, do not get demoralised but stay positive and keep applying. One day will be our day. :thumb:

Reactions: australia.ind

·
Registered
311 Posts
You may try but most of the times they'd not meet in absence of an appointment. Even recruiters do not meet before appointment except a few ones.

I do not know of any job site which lists startups or companies in Oz. Had this been available, it'd have been quite easy to at least figure out positions availability. You have to scour the internet and find some. However you can start from here - https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CFgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Faustralia.blogberi.com%2F2012%2F09%2Flist-of-software-companies-in-sydney.html&ei=p9NfUtCCI-XliAfB2YHAAQ&usg=AFQjCNHcqe0P0D8bggXyQcwXnnVtlUvSaw&sig2=RhS4o5vEcomoPQ5o-VxHGw&bvm=bv.54176721,d.aGc

Just a question is it possible to directly meet employer by visiting their office.
Also is there any jobs site specific to start up's.
Thanks
Sudhakar

1 - 14 of 14 Posts