Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am qualified solicitor in Northern Ireland with nine years pqe. My husband has hopefully secured a job in Melbourne on 457 Visa. I am aware of the process to get admitted in the state of Victoria and appreciate it will take a bit of time to complete same. Initially I would be very happy to work as a Law Clerk/Paralegal or legal secretary if necessary to gain a bit of experience in Oz.

I was just wondering if there is anyone who can give me a bit of information or guidance and also to confirm how difficult it is for foreign lawyers to get into any form of legal work in Melbourne. My background has been in general practice mainly family, litigation and also experience in conveyancing.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Banned
934 Posts
Hey,

Look it's not easy. The legal market in Australia is over saturated with grads and in many cases even legal secretary positions require an LLB. But previous legal experience will do you no harm but to be honest there aren't many Paralegal type positions in Australia. Biggest issue is the 457 visa. Might be hard because of your visa status.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Weebie for your response.
Got that impression with regards to the 457 Visa status. To be honest I would be happy to work as a legal secretary or clerk to begin with. I was hoping someone maybe has had personal experience of trying to find work as coming from overseas. Doesn't appear to be easy!:confused2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.