Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I along with our two kids are planning on moving to Spain but are still trying to research as much as possible so as to make the transition a little easier. However the more research we do the more questions seem to spring up, so any advice or info would be great.
I work offshore in the UK so would be out of Spain for half of the year, but my wife and kids would be living in Spain all of the time. Where does that leave me in regards to residency non residency?
We would be looking to rent in Spain while letting out our gaff in the Uk, do I need to declare the UK house for any tax reasons, it is only in my name not my wifes.
Also if I am getting paid by my job into a uk bank what is the best way of getting money to a Spanish bank? either getting paid direct in to the Spanish bank or some sort of transfer.2
Cheers

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
My wife and I along with our two kids are planning on moving to Spain but are still trying to research as much as possible so as to make the transition a little easier. However the more research we do the more questions seem to spring up, so any advice or info would be great.
I work offshore in the UK so would be out of Spain for half of the year, but my wife and kids would be living in Spain all of the time. Where does that leave me in regards to residency non residency?
We would be looking to rent in Spain while letting out our gaff in the Uk, do I need to declare the UK house for any tax reasons, it is only in my name not my wifes.
Also if I am getting paid by my job into a uk bank what is the best way of getting money to a Spanish bank? either getting paid direct in to the Spanish bank or some sort of transfer.2
Cheers
You would be non-resident in Spain but still would be tax resident. This is because your 'economic centre of interest' (your family) live in Spain.

As tax resident in Spain, you will have to declare all world-wide income. Yes, rental income in UK is taxable in UK but ISTR that it still needs declaring here and any tax paid elsewhere (UK) can then be offset against any Spanish tax.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you can prove residency in the UK then you will not be a tax resident in Spain regardless of where your wife and children are.

It is the presumption you are resident (tax resident) in Spain if your family are here it is up to you to prove otherwise.

If you are going to become a resident in Soain along with your wife and children and soend more than 182 days here per year then the above post applies.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
If you can prove residency in the UK then you will not be a tax resident in Spain regardless of where your wife and children are.

It is the presumption you are resident (tax resident) in Spain if your family are here it is up to you to prove otherwise.

If you are going to become a resident in Soain along with your wife and children and soend more than 182 days here per year then the above post applies.
I think that you will find that that is incorrect after the multi-millionaire case a couple of years back where he rarely visited the UK & so paid no tax as 'non-resident'. After many years & numerous cases He was declared a resident & tax resident due to the fact that his wife & children lived in the UK with the 4 of them attending various schools /unis etc.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think that you will find that that is incorrect after the multi-millionaire case a couple of years back where he rarely visited the UK & so paid no tax as 'non-resident'. After many years & numerous cases He was declared a resident & tax resident due to the fact that his wife & children lived in the UK with the 4 of them attending various schools /unis etc.

My husband has both habitual and tax residency in another country despite the fact his family live in Spain.

This can be proved with his visa application and tax returns in that country.

The country in which he resides and pays tax has a double taxation agreement with Spain.

We have an expat tax consultant in the UK keeping things straight with the HMRC & a Spanish accountant in the town I reside.

I suggest the OP does the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.