Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving to Southwestern France (Bergerac area, generally) and will be arriving in September...and our stuff sometime in October.

As I was playing guitar this afternoon, I wondered about getting strings and such in France? Are the prices similar to the U.S.? Are there online music stores? (I assume Amazon sells them, but I haven't checked yet.)

Once we're on the ground, I will start researching opportunities to play/jam and meet other musicians!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Like many other things here. you can go to a hypermarket and get them. Leclerc (western side of Bergerac) has a separate area or shop for "culturel" items.. As well as books. dvds. artistic and craft materials etc they sell medium quality musical instruments and their consumables such as guitar strings. There are also music shops for better quality items, but I don't know the town well enough to name one in Bergerac, nor can I comment on US prices, Hope that helps.

·
Registered
353 Posts
France has real music stores too... depends where you are but the town our house is near has two.

Dont know what you pay in US and it depends on type, brand, gauge etc. Normal set of 10s can be had for 10 euro or under.

A good online music store is thomann which although in Germany has country specific sites all across europe and a price promise thing.

But if you want to meet musos, hang round a real store and play that riff from smoke on the water/solo from sweet child of mine etc. They will soon come along (and tell you to stop!)

Regards

Ian

Edit; I see ccm47 beat me to it about real shops...

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are a few full-service music shops in Paris, and with internet ordering. Since I am nearby, I recently visited Woodbrass in the NE section of Paris and bought a set of D’Addario Chromes, flat wound. Nice shop with a broad array of strings, and equipment.

But most of the guitar and music shops are clustered on Rue de Douai, near the Moulin Rouge. Located there are numerous boutique shops specializing in pedals, or tube amps, leftie guitars and basses, acoustics only, etc. And a few vintage shops with some classic used 50s-60s gear. It’s a fun area to stroll, just don’t visit on Mondays or mid afternoons... closed for lunch.

Near the Bastille, on the broad Ave Beaumarchais, is Paul Beuscher Music. It’s another full-service store, but don’t know about internet ordering. Woodbrass.com is a safe bet.

If you are not yet familiar, leboncoin.fr (like a Craigslist) has listings for private parties selling stuff, including musical instruments. Fun to peruse the gear people are selling in your area. Best!

*There is also a guy near the Bibliotheque Nationale who does custom mods to electrics. Big shop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are a few full-service music shops in Paris, and with internet ordering. Since I am nearby, I recently visited Woodbrass in the NE section of Paris and bought a set of D’Addario Chromes, flat wound. Nice shop with a broad array of strings, and equipment.

But most of the guitar and music shops are clustered on Rue de Douai, near the Moulin Rouge. Located there are numerous boutique shops specializing in pedals, or tube amps, leftie guitars and basses, acoustics only, etc. And a few vintage shops with some classic used 50s-60s gear. It’s a fun area to stroll, just don’t visit on Mondays or mid afternoons... closed for lunch.

Near the Bastille, on the broad Ave Beaumarchais, is Paul Beuscher Music. It’s another full-service store, but don’t know about internet ordering. Woodbrass.com is a safe bet.

If you are not yet familiar, leboncoin.fr (like a Craigslist) has listings for private parties selling stuff, including musical instruments. Fun to peruse the gear people are selling in your area. Best!
Thanks! I am aware of the vintage shops in Paris from our last trip (and if you haven't visited Francois Charle's shop at 17 Galerie Vero-Dodat you MUST). Appreciate your taking time to post. Having done a bit more research I'm reasonably certain I'll be able to find what I need via on-line or Leclerc or finding small shops in Aquitaine...while we're exploring our new environs!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I forgort... Star's Music is another full-service shop, located almost across from the Moulin Rouge. They do internet ordering as well. And prices are comparable to U.S. prices.

And if you haven't been here before, taxes are included in the price of a product. So, if the strings are 12 euros, it's 12 euros, nothing more.

·
Banned
92 Posts
You might be shocked at the non existence of a "music scene" in France. Yes, there are great schools here but when the kids graduate, they do not go into the music business other than play cover songs for little money + most of them sing the lyrics but do not know what they mean ( english ). It is very sad..

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
There is plenty of live music in SW France. Almost every village bar has its tame band or open mic night. There are Irish bands, country and western, jazz, hip hop, rap, Fardo, African and North African rap. And of course the Brits who also play the oldies. I would imagine in Bergerac you will be tripping over opportunities. We even have Music Festivals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts