Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a freelance print / textiles designer. I will be moving back to LONDON in April 2010 but finding it difficult to find jobs over the internet. Most websites are full of nonsense............

Can anyone guide me ???
Any good websites that you know ???
:)

·
Administrator
51,403 Posts
Are you looking for the type of job that would offer sponsorship for a visa? That could be the reason the websites you're looking at are so full of nonsense.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
Are you looking for the type of job that would offer sponsorship for a visa? That could be the reason the websites you're looking at are so full of nonsense.
Cheers,
Bev
From her other post, it appears she is a British citizen ('having lived in London most of my life').
I don't know what she means by job ads being full of nonsense, but as I've outlined in my other reply, jobs of any description, esp ones with prospect and good pay, are few and far between. Most are contract jobs or temporary, just to plug a gap in business need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply Bev.

No actually I am just looking for an ordinary job - preferably freelance to begin with. As mentioned in my first message I was actually living in the UK until I moved to Turkey. I had quite a good job actually in central London, but got bored of the monotone life !!

Now that I have decided to move back I actually want some kind of security that there will be jobs available for me back home - before dropping everything here. I don't want to be faced with disappointment!! I have heard so many horror stories with regards to the job front in the UK......

as for sponsorship in the UK - is there such a thing for foreigners ???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes this is true .. I am a British Citizen, trying to my career in the UK (even though I am actually pregnant :)

I have tried so many websites, so many agents, but it seems like it will not be possible
to find a job (freelance or full time) without going back to the UK !! I am forever on the internet sending out my designs.

I think its so unfair how the government helps immigrants to find jobs and provide homes for their the moment they step into the country. But for real citizens - its just a big CATCH 22 !!!

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
As for sponsorship in the UK - is there such a thing for foreigners ???

I think its so unfair how the government helps immigrants to find jobs and provide homes for their the moment they step into the country. But for real citizens - its just a big CATCH 22 !!!
Sponsorship Bev refers to is when a prospective employer wanting to hire a non-EU worker 'sponsors' or supports their application for a visa. It has nothing to do with UK government sponsoring or helping foreigners to get a job in UK.
Help for housing etc (e.g. housing and council tax benefit) is only given to those immigrants who are not subject to 'no recourse to public funds' rule. Only available to genuine refugees and those allowed to settle in UK (indefinite leave to enter) - usually those joining family members (e.g. spouses) already settled in UK, and they need to meet financial and other tests just like any other claimants.
It's a myth to think that UK is soft on migrants, even though many trying to enter the country illegally believe it. The reality is that immigration laws have been tightened considerably in recent years and the government is actively seeking out illegals and deporting them. But with up to a million illegals apparently in UK, it is a mammoth task, and there are ways for those caught in immigration raids to prolong their stay in UK - such as 'losing' their passports and any other immigration papers. Without a documentary proof of their illegal stay (overstaying, staying in breach of immigration rules etc), they cannot be deported and have to be released.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.