Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would like to ship my bike to France (Carcassonne) from the Washington DC area. Has anyone done that and do you have any recommendations on shippers? Also, I am open to picking up the bike anywhere in Europe and riding it to Carcassonne if that would reduce the cost. The first quote I got was for $6,000.00 US. Not worth doing if I can't do it any cheaper. Better off buying a bike in France.

Thanx for any input..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I would like to ship my bike to France (Carcassonne) from the Washington DC area. Has anyone done that and do you have any recommendations on shippers? Also, I am open to picking up the bike anywhere in Europe and riding it to Carcassonne if that would reduce the cost. The first quote I got was for $6,000.00 US. Not worth doing if I can't do it any cheaper. Better off buying a bike in France.

Thanx for any input..
Hi

I work for a shipping agent in th UK. USD6000 sounds like an awful lot of money to me, send me some details of the bike, I will ask our guys in the US what they think.

Best of Luck
Steve

·
Registered
49 Posts
It costs less than $6000 to ship an RV to the UK so can't see how it could possibly cost that to ship a bike to France.

Do you intend operating the bike on US plates in France? And will your US insurance cover the bike in France? If you intend registering and insuring in France, it'll be very, very difficult.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

I work for a shipping agent in th UK. USD6000 sounds like an awful lot of money to me, send me some details of the bike, I will ask our guys in the US what they think.

Best of Luck
Steve
I finally got a much better quote. I found a company (Schumacher Cargo Logistics) and they quoted me $485 US.

I have 2 bikes and not sure which one I would ship. But both are Harleys (2006 Ultra & 1988 Low Rider) That was shipping from Port of NY to Le Havre France.

If you have time, I'd appreciate seeing what you come up with but please don't put yourself out. I am in no rush. Don't need the bike there until July 2010.

Thanx for the reply..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It costs less than $6000 to ship an RV to the UK so can't see how it could possibly cost that to ship a bike to France.

Do you intend operating the bike on US plates in France? And will your US insurance cover the bike in France? If you intend registering and insuring in France, it'll be very, very difficult.
Hi...

Yes I do plan on running my US plates. I don't think insurance will be a problem but thanx for the heads up.

Pat

·
Registered
16 Posts
I finally got a much better quote. I found a company (Schumacher Cargo Logistics) and they quoted me $485 US.

I have 2 bikes and not sure which one I would ship. But both are Harleys (2006 Ultra & 1988 Low Rider) That was shipping from Port of NY to Le Havre France.

If you have time, I'd appreciate seeing what you come up with but please don't put yourself out. I am in no rush. Don't need the bike there until July 2010.

Thanx for the reply..
I hope by July 2010 I may have moved to France myself.

USD 485 is a good rate, but expect to pay the same again probably in Terminal Charges and Clearance costs once the bike arrives in France. This may be a little bit of an overestimation, but not by much.

Best of Luck
Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx again for the info Steve. I will make sure to bring up those questions. Hope you make it to France in 2010. We are going to settlement on our house in February and can't wait.

Good luck to you..

Pat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Pat,

Around $500 sounds about right to me. I shipped my bike along with a container of our things to the UK when we moved to the UK, and that was about the extra they charged.

I know you've been warned, but I would double-check French law as to how long you can run on U.S. plates, or if you're allowed to at all. In the UK, I was forbidden to put my bike on the roads (except to drive to testing facilities for registration purposes) until it was registered here.

I would also double check (as it sounds like you intend to do) that your insurer will in fact cover your bike if it leaves U.S. soil. I was with State Farm, and informed them of my plan to move my bike, and they would not write a policy that would cover my bike in the UK. Insurance laws vary state-to-state, so you might be in luck. But if not, you will probably be able to get insurance with an overseas provider. At the very least, you will likely have to upgrade your policy.

I hope it works out for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.