Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm checking out lower elevations now. Uruapan is perfect climate but turned out, high altitudes are bad for me. If anyone knows anything about this city, I'd love to hear from you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tepic

My Spanish teacher is from there and visits her family regularly. What do you need to know?
Well, I need to, for health reasons, trade elevation for heat. I'm going to visit there on the 22nd of March for a few days to see if I can take the heat. Actually, I don't find as much on Tepic as I'd like so anything she can tell me about the place will be most welcome. Where are you located now? How does she travel back and forth? Thanks muchly.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,077 Posts
Well, I need to, for health reasons, trade elevation for heat. I'm going to visit there on the 22nd of March for a few days to see if I can take the heat. Actually, I don't find as much on Tepic as I'd like so anything she can tell me about the place will be most welcome. Where are you located now? How does she travel back and forth? Thanks muchly.
You probably know this but, a visit in March will not give you much of a sense of the temperature throughout the year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Agreed; but isn't this the hot season? So if it's livable now, I'm good to go.
Be sure to ask the locals if the Molino Menchaca sugar mill in Tepíc is still in operation.

The last time I was there in autumn, during the sugar cane harvest season, the mill was burning the spent cane to fire their boilers to run the mill. The air pollution was pretty bad. Left a brown haze over the entire valley.

Not so livable then.

Suerte,

-- K.H.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Tepic

I've been on the board for a little while now. It hasn't been very helpful so far; but thanks very much.
I was in Tepic for a few days in Jan. 2010 on our way back from PV and found the place charming. It was nice and warm and easy to walk around. Every meal was accompanied with a small plate of fresh papaya, mango, and pineapple and was not even on the menu in every restaurant. They said it gets hot and humid in the summer there. It is less than 100 kilometer from the ocean so a fideicomiso would be needed for a foreigner the buy a house. When last month driving the cuota from Guadalajara to PV the freeway sign was 35 kilometers to Tepic off of the cuota. I might have converted the klms. to miles, I don't remember. It might be 35 miles away.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I was in Tepic for a few days in Jan. 2010 on our way back from PV and found the place charming. It was nice and warm and easy to walk around. Every meal was accompanied with a small plate of fresh papaya, mango, and pineapple and was not even on the menu in every restaurant. They said it gets hot and humid in the summer there. It is less than 100 kilometer from the ocean so a fideicomiso would be needed for a foreigner the buy a house. When last month driving the cuota from Guadalajara to PV the freeway sign was 35 kilometers to Tepic off of the cuota. I might have converted the klms. to miles, I don't remember. It might be 35 miles away.

Alan, Confused again? It would not matter if it was less than 100KM or 90KM or 80KM or 70KM or 60KM form an ocean...The 100Km rule is for foreigners buying within 100KM from an international border...for your information a fidecomiso is needed when a property is within 50KM of an ocean.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
alan, confused again? It would not matter if it was less than 100km or 90km or 80km or 70km or 60km form an ocean...the 100km rule is for foreigners buying within 100km from an international border...for your information a fidecomiso is needed when a property is within 50km of an ocean.
50 km OK. Thanks for pointing out my mistake for us. I calculated the distance when there 2 years ago. Tepic is close to the Pacific as the crow flies, maybe within the 50 KM Restricted Zone. I don't know exactly.

http://playasmexico.com.mx/llegar_playa.php?id_rubrique=535

·
Registered
381 Posts
My Spanish teacher drives with her Italian husband or alone. Tepic was really bad right after they moved the cartel members to the local federal prison and their families followed them. But apparently, it is pretty good now. No more holding up gringos on the roads at night. The town is charming and the prices are reasonable when compared to PV.

It is right on the cuota from Mazatlan to GDL so getting around is easy. Like others have said, the weather is not as good as in the high plains south of PV (e.g. El Tuito).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hola Tepic

I live in Tepic and would be happy to answer any questions anyone has. Tracy
Good to hear from you, Tracy. Actually, I moved to a little place just outside Santa Maria del Oro, going towards the lake. This is amazingly dry and hot.

Really funny thing, two weeks after I moved in on April 15, the landlord and his wife took a six week vacation to England to visit his mother. He said it was his mother's 92 birthday, but I think he just wanted to escape the heat. It is a gorgeous place, mountains all around, the crater lake and the little town nearby. I've driven into Tepic a couple of times because nowhere in Santa Maria do they sell cat litter. I guess there are no indoor cats in the area.

So, how do you keep cool? I bought an extra fan and am learning when to close up the place to keep it less hot. I'd love to hear from you.

Fina

·
Registered
238 Posts
Be sure to ask the locals if the Molino Menchaca sugar mill in Tepíc is still in operation.

The last time I was there in autumn, during the sugar cane harvest season, the mill was burning the spent cane to fire their boilers to run the mill. The air pollution was pretty bad. Left a brown haze over the entire valley.

Not so livable then.

Suerte,

-- K.H.
Ah, that answers a question I've had for more than 40 years. What was all that smoke around Tepic when I passed through on a bus from TJ to Guadalajara back in 1971? I thought it might be -- lol -- "slash and burn" agriculture. Like back in prehistoric times...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good to hear from you, Tracy. Actually, I moved to a little place just outside Santa Maria del Oro, going towards the lake. This is amazingly dry and hot.

Really funny thing, two weeks after I moved in on April 15, the landlord and his wife took a six week vacation to England to visit his mother. He said it was his mother's 92 birthday, but I think he just wanted to escape the heat. It is a gorgeous place, mountains all around, the crater lake and the little town nearby. I've driven into Tepic a couple of times because nowhere in Santa Maria do they sell cat litter. I guess there are no indoor cats in the area.

So, how do you keep cool? I bought an extra fan and am learning when to close up the place to keep it less hot. I'd love to hear from you.

Fina

Hi Jo! Santa Maria Del Oro is a beautiful place! I guess getting used to the heat is something that comes with time, but you can get an air conditioner from Wal-Mart, Elektra, Coppel and a lot of other stores (you should also be able to find cat litter). All these stores are in Tepic, but I'm not sure what stores are in Sta Maria. I'm going to include a link for window units: https://www.coppel.com/catalogo.php?numarea=3&numareaweb=111&numciudad=4 Or the following link would certainly be more energy efficient. elektraonline.com Climas y Calefaccion-Linea Blanca-Enfriadores
Good Luck!:clap2:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.