Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am writing an article on our local breed of cattle, raza retinta. A few years ago a group of local breeders formed a co-operative to try and get the excellent meat out to a wider market across Spain, especially the Costa del Sol. The meat has its own denomination, "Carne de Vacuno Extensivo de Cadiz".

I'm wondering how successful they were; we have no problem getting it in restaurants round here in Cadiz, but has anyone seen it anywhere else in Spain, or better still, tried it?

They are lovely little red-brown cows found Andalucia and Extremadura and can survive extreme dry conditions and rocky terrains that other more wussy breeds couldn't cope with.

G

·
I´ve seem them there moo-cow´s all over Andalucia. You even see ´em up near Cerro Caballo, Sierra Nevada. They graze at around 10,000ft, which caught me offguard first time I practically bumped into one on a night trek! I have tried the meat in local restaurants and it is simply divine.

(stares whistfully at ceiling, thinking about steak sandwich with ciabatta n onions...)

·
Registered
860 Posts
I´ve seem them there moo-cow´s all over Andalucia. You even see ´em up near Cerro Caballo, Sierra Nevada. They graze at around 10,000ft, which caught me offguard first time I practically bumped into one on a night trek! I have tried the meat in local restaurants and it is simply divine.

(stares whistfully at ceiling, thinking about steak sandwich with ciabatta n onions...)
ooohhh don't you got me all slavering at the thought now.

G

·
I haven't seen it up north. We have the tudanca in Cantabria and the Eusko Label beef raised in the Basque Country.

I don't like either. Give me an Angus steak and I'm happy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.