Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to move to Mexico with my parents and sibling and was wondering if there are any Canadians that we could befriend; mostly because of the whole process leaving Canada, procedures, currency etc.

Please let me know and I look forward to hearing from you :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The process is pretty much the same for everyone. If you want Resident Visas you start with a Mexican Consulate and they will explain and evaluate your eligibility. Pretty straight forward.

Only difference I've heard for Canadians is you loose Medical on a permanent move

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
6,986 Posts
I am looking to move to Mexico with my parents and sibling and was wondering if there are any Canadians that we could befriend; mostly because of the whole process leaving Canada, procedures, currency etc.

Please let me know and I look forward to hearing from you :)
Canadians make up a large fraction of the north-of-the-border people living in some places in Mexico. I have no concrete statistics. I just know lot of the people I meet in Ajijic and west coast villages say they are Canadian.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Tons of Canadians in the Melaque area. My only ****** neighbors are Canadian ... both couple only hear for the winter. I'm helping another couple build in Melaque. All from BC. Also a bunch of French Canadians who are very cliquish

·
Super Moderator
8,940 Posts
What is their "native land"? How many recent immigrants from France live in Quebec? My guess is that most Quebecois have lived in the new world for generations.
I wasn't thinking of France at all. By "native land" I meant Quebec and was thinking of the centuries of ill will that have existed between French-speaking and English-speaking Canada.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
6,986 Posts
I wasn't thinking of France at all. By "native land" I meant Quebec and was thinking of the centuries of ill will that have existed between French-speaking and English-speaking Canada.
Sorry. I misinterpreted your comment. I was waiting for Citlali to object to your put down of the French. :) But that wasn't it at all.

·
Super Moderator
8,940 Posts
Sorry. I misinterpreted your comment. I was waiting for Citlali to object to your put down of the French. :) But that wasn't it at all.
I have no reason to put down the French, especially after coming to know and admire citlali on the forum and in real life!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sadly, the cultural/linguistic divide in Canada is very deep, and very ugly. It verges on apartheid.
Deep, yes. Ugly, at times. But I would definitely not equate the French - English divide as verging on apartheid. That would better describe the shameful treatment of Canada's First Nations (the original inhabitants of this land) for the past 500 years. Hopefully with the recent work of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, bringing into the light the horrors of the Residential School system, the "Sixties Scoop" of First Nations kids (the officially sanctioned practice of going into aboriginal communities and stealing the children from their families and communities, then placing them in white homes to better "assimilate" them), and with the commitment of our new Prime Minister we can start down the path of healing this very broken relationship with the First Nations.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
6,986 Posts
Deep, yes. Ugly, at times. But I would definitely not equate the French - English divide as verging on apartheid. That would better describe the shameful treatment of Canada's First Nations (the original inhabitants of this land) for the past 500 years. Hopefully with the recent work of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, bringing into the light the horrors of the Residential School system, the "Sixties Scoop" of First Nations kids (the officially sanctioned practice of going into aboriginal communities and stealing the children from their families and communities, then placing them in white homes to better "assimilate" them), and with the commitment of our new Prime Minister we can start down the path of healing this very broken relationship with the First Nations.
I knew that was done in Australia, I didn't realize it happened in Canada as well. Rabbit Proof Fence is a great movie with about some girls that were stolen from their families in Australia.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I knew that was done in Australia, I didn't realize it happened in Canada as well. Rabbit Proof Fence is a great movie with about some girls that were stolen from their families in Australia.
It was instigated by the Anglican Church of Canada. In public school in Canada we were taught that Native Canadians were better off than before because of the "Indian Residential School" system.

Historical Sketch for Anglican Residential Schools - Anglican Church of Canada

Here is their side of the story.

"After World War II, Ottawa began to question the prevailing practice of church-state run education for aboriginal peoples."

" Also in 1991 the Anglican Church established an Indigenous Healing Fund to support the healing work undertaken by local aboriginal communities and groups. In his 1993 address to the National Native Convocation, the Anglican Primate, Archbishop Michael Peers offered a full apology for the Church’s role in being a part of the system and for the wrongs committed."

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It was instigated by the Anglican Church of Canada. In public school in Canada we were taught that Native Canadians were better off than before because of the "Indian Residential School" system.

Historical Sketch for Anglican Residential Schools - Anglican Church of Canada

Here is their side of the story.

"After World War II, Ottawa began to question the prevailing practice of church-state run education for aboriginal peoples."

" Also in 1991 the Anglican Church established an Indigenous Healing Fund to support the healing work undertaken by local aboriginal communities and groups. In his 1993 address to the National Native Convocation, the Anglican Primate, Archbishop Michael Peers offered a full apology for the Church’s role in being a part of the system and for the wrongs committed."
I worked at the national office of the ACC for a few years in the late 1980's, before I went to medical school. I knew Archbisop Michael Peers personally as a man of integrity. Any healing process of this grievous history will be measured in generations, not a few years. The word for white people in at least one native language is "visitors". Sadly, we have not been very nice guests at all.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
I come from a completely dysfunctional family of Anglican/Roman Catholic/Canadian Quebecois & First Nation/Algonquian/Mohawk/French-Scots-Irish/Yankee & Confederate backgrounds. Talk about conflicted!!!!! Oh yeah; I married a Sicilian-American, which added depth for our children, and many of you know my better half; a southern girl from the Carolinas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.