Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One great thing about retiring in Mexico is that it would allow me to afford a bigger boat. :clap2:

Any words of wisdom for someone who wishes to bring down a boat? Particularly what needs to be done, will I need to worry about pirates, etc. Also, would a 30' cuddy have any problem going from PV to Cobo on a calm day?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
It would certainly take more than a few days. Check your distances, pilot charts for weather, etc. Then, know your own capabilities and that of your boat & rigging. Do you know how to navigate at sea?
(ex-blue water sailor/passage-maker; Med., Atlantic, Carib., Pacific, etc.)

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would certainly take more than a few days. Check your distances, pilot charts for weather, etc. Then, know your own capabilities and that of your boat & rigging. Do you know how to navigate at sea?
(ex-blue water sailor/passage-maker; Med., Atlantic, Carib., Pacific, etc.)
No, I'd have some learning to do. I understand its about 100m across.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I'm always amazed by the number of people who sail off with GPS systems in a stock vessel, intended as a 'weekend toy' and definitely not built or equipped for offshore endurance. They don't realize that the first 'bad day' and you will have no battery power and all 'systems' will be down. Now, out of sight of land, they are unable to navigate. Soon, they're food for sharks. Rescue is very rare.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who said anything about a sail boat? I'm talking a cuddy or cabin cruiser with twin big blocks. And I've been boating for years, just not in the ocean. I figure a 30' cuddy ought to handle 3'-4' rollers with no problem. It's about 100 miles of bay from what I understand. That's a 4 hour trip on a calm day. What I really worry about are pirates stealing the boat. Is that a concern?

·
Registered
180 Posts
You WILL need to do your homework on boating the western seas, including your response to an approach by an unidentified vessel. 21st century pirates do not fly the skull and crossbones, and can surely have an innocent looking deckhand be the only person in sight as they pull alongside. I do not boat the big water, but have several friends who do it regularly. I do not believe it to be as simple as outrunning a pirate vessel.
A very close friend began with baby steps on a 32' Sailboat, and now sails all up and down the coast. He has made several statements such as "I won't ever try that again" but, as far as sailing the coast in general, he is hooked. I can't provide his email address, but, if you strike out finding big water guys here on the forum, I'll check with him about connecting you two.
The comment about following seas is usually reserved for the iron wind crowd, so I'll just say Happy Boating.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
If they are 'mythical', you will only be mythically dead. If they are real, you will be really dead.
Pirates aside; if you have no navigational experience, including wind drift, current calculations, blind piloting out of sight of land, etc., etc., you should reconsider; especially with a small motor boat.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,076 Posts
Who said anything about a sail boat? I'm talking a cuddy or cabin cruiser with twin big blocks. And I've been boating for years, just not in the ocean. I figure a 30' cuddy ought to handle 3'-4' rollers with no problem. It's about 100 miles of bay from what I understand. That's a 4 hour trip on a calm day. What I really worry about are pirates stealing the boat. Is that a concern?
Your original post said PV to Cobo [sic]. If by Cobo, you mean Cabo, it is more like 350 miles and it is not bay but open ocean. What most people do is coastal cruising up to Mazatlan then cross from there across the mouth of the Sea of Cortez. That is still more that 200 miles of open ocean. Regarding potential wave heights, I have been in waves over 10 feet from crest to trough more than once off the west coast of Baja. I think big seas are less common along the coast of the mainland, but it would be foolish to think that they never occur.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Like I said, my friends with the big diesel 50 footer will not head north to Ensenada from PV in big seas. He says it is just not worth it. So he waits until the forecast is benevolent for a few days before heading out. After returning to Ensenada, he is heading for Peru. He is not afraid of pirates. And he is a long distance stinkboater! He piloted his boat down from Anacortes originally.

Before that he sailed a Cat over from France. Sold it in Anacortes eventually before trying a motorized rig.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Cobo

Your original post said PV to Cobo [sic]. If by Cobo, you mean Cabo, it is more like 350 miles and it is not bay but open ocean. What most people do is coastal cruising up to Mazatlan then cross from there across the mouth of the Sea of Cortez. That is still more that 200 miles of open ocean. Regarding potential wave heights, I have been in waves over 10 feet from crest to trough more than once off the west coast of Baja. I think big seas are less common along the coast of the mainland, but it would be foolish to think that they never occur.
I first checked the distance [Cabo to PV = 350 miles] and then saw Cobo and could not find it on a map so presumed someone would mention this or Cobo is a hidden hideaway paradise somewhere in Sonora. [not at all impossible]

·
Registered
334 Posts
Isla Verde said:
Of course, it does! Thanks, mickisue. Though I wonder what JohnMex has against teachers.
Nothing, teachers are the only thing that stands between us and an uneducated next generation. In my humble opinion it is the most under paid profession one could choose. It must be a labor of love. (BTW, The BSPP was once a highly sought after membership on a now defunct political forum I once frequented. Please don't take it as an insult.)

Back to pirates, with or without a skull and crossbones flag. Are these pirates any more dangerous than the narcos? If not, I wouldn't worry about it and just use common sense to stay out of any bad situations.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.