Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in Dubai for just over a year now, and have met very few USA'ers. In fact, only 1! I'm wondering if their are any american expat groups out here. Let me know, as i'd love to be part of the group.

Jason

·
Banned
598 Posts
Texas in tha house!
I have met a handfull of Americans. I figured there would be more.
What side of town are you on?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michigan here! I'm in Downtown Burj Dubai. Yeah, definitely thought their would be alot more American's. I'm hoping to find a group that gets together for social events.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Louisiana, via Houston Texas.

Living in Al Barsha 1, behind Mall of the Emirates.

Been here 4 months, trying to get used to it. Miss the states.

mbg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Kentucky, via Michigan.
Jason, where abouts in Michigan are you from?

Been here about 4 months, and I too, like MBG, miss the states.

Im still trying to find a sports bar or something that will show College Fooball/Basketball. No luck so far.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kentucky, via Michigan.
Jason, where abouts in Michigan are you from?

Been here about 4 months, and I too, like MBG, miss the states.

Im still trying to find a sports bar or something that will show College Fooball/Basketball. No luck so far.
The Golden Tulip, Just off Sheik Zayed, near MOE, has had some American sports on TV. They have about 6 TV's. 5 showing soccer, and 1 showing American sports. Its the same stuff you get on Showtime.

mbg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Florida Here

Been here little over a year...

Some tips -

Fox Sports on Sunday night has live footbal games @ 9 and sometime carries the pregame show. This past week they showed NY vs NO. Sometimes it will play the world series in the morning. Last year I watched Phillies win it while eating breakfest a few times.

Safefestway (Shiek Z rd) good US stuff and carries real Cheerieoos.

Thanksgiving - spinneys will carry butterball turkeys (at least last year they had them).

If your in Burj Dubai...Nueaussie (misspelled) in the AL Manzel will carry a game (replay) at night.

Don't know of any social clubs but would like to be informedd if one pops up.

·
Registered
725 Posts
iowa!

One American group is the American Business Council of Dubai (and the Northern Emirates). American Business Council

I'm from Iowa and have been here for a year now. I gave up on trying to find a proper sports bar when the Boston Bar - supposedly an American bar - didn't know what the Super Bowl was. I now have Slingbox streaming at home. While my family doesn't have the NFL/College Football package - I still get to watch my Hawkeyes roll over the Big Ten. It is not too bad with homemade wings, crappy English beer (what I wouldn't give for a Goose Island or Bell's!) and not being able to use the Internet while I'm watching the game.

-md000/mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
One American group is the American Business Council of Dubai (and the Northern Emirates). American Business Council

I'm from Iowa and have been here for a year now. I gave up on trying to find a proper sports bar when the Boston Bar - supposedly an American bar - didn't know what the Super Bowl was. I now have Slingbox streaming at home. While my family doesn't have the NFL/College Football package - I still get to watch my Hawkeyes roll over the Big Ten. It is not too bad with homemade wings, crappy English beer (what I wouldn't give for a Goose Island or Bell's!) and not being able to use the Internet while I'm watching the game.

-md000/mike
How is the Slingbox? I am headed home for XMAS and may need to set it up. I have been using VPN and streaming the Gator Football radio network over the internet. I agree with the British beer...to darn bitter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Abc

as noted above, the american business council is definitely a good place to meet americans. they host networking & social events at least monthly. American Business Council. individual membership is about AED600 but you can go to events as a guest.

vince truong

·
Registered
725 Posts
How is the Slingbox? I am headed home for XMAS and may need to set it up. I have been using VPN and streaming the Gator Football radio network over the internet. I agree with the British beer...to darn bitter.
The Slingbox has issues, while also being an amazing piece of technology. My setup: 2 MB download Etisalat with network shaping redirecting all internal network traffic towards the Slingbox. My parents' place (where the Slingbox lives) has a basic Comcast cable modem. When I am using the Slingbox and they are websurfing - it doesn't lag too often, but it does happen. I can not use the Internet from home while I am using the Slingbox - I even turn off all of the computers if it is an important game.

I truly believe that if I kept my 2 MB download or upgraded to the new Fiber at home network, the incoming would be adequate. I also believe that I need a higher end connection on the sending end - upgrading the cable modem to dedicated DSL and use some type of network shaping on their end.

It is not perfect - but it works. Plus, I have Tivo over there too - so for the stupid 3 PM games - I can record them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

New Jersey is in the house. Been here for 2 weeks miss home - going back for a few weeks to finalizing my house details will be back here soon - My husband has been here for 6 months and he is home sick misses the football, baseball, basketball....... all games and hanging out with friends. Please tell me where other US expats hang out so we can be less home sick.

Thanks,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Boston Bar is funny... with the story of Jack Daniels on the menu. Too many working girls there for my liking. The buffet restaurant in that hotel is decent, though.

If you live around that area, The Players Lounge in the Country Club Hotel isn't bad for sports. Got a pool table and will play live American Football Sunday nights (each booth has a private TV). They close a 3am; you can usually finish the 4:15 game.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh what I would give for a Bells Oberon right now...or even a Silver Bullet...mmm

Goodluck to your Hawkeyes, md000. They're going to need it :) Wish I was at Spartan Stadium for that one...

As far as the American Business Council...any additional details? Do they have a website? Where, when are meetings?

Are you using the slingbox on a VPN? Or is that not blocked here? Because my VPN seems to slow things down.

It seems like theres a bunch of us who would love to meet others, drink some beer and watch some football...Why don't we get together one of these Saturday or Sunday nights (College or NFL). Any takers?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh what I would give for a Bells Oberon right now...or even a Silver Bullet...mmm

Goodluck to your Hawkeyes, md000. They're going to need it :) Wish I was at Spartan Stadium for that one...

As far as the American Business Council...any additional details? Do they have a website? Where, when are meetings?

Are you using the slingbox on a VPN? Or is that not blocked here? Because my VPN seems to slow things down.

It seems like theres a bunch of us who would love to meet others, drink some beer and watch some football...Why don't we get together one of these Saturday or Sunday nights (College or NFL). Any takers?

I'm in for sunday night football!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need a Budweiser

Just moved to Dubai 2 months ago from chicago. I stay in the Marina i thought there would be loads of americans as people said all americans stay around this area.. All i found was europeans that speak bad english..... I need a Budwiser bad...

·
Registered
725 Posts
It will be a good game for sure. What's really the bad part - 3 AM game here. Getting my butt out of bed on a Sunday morning at that time is horrific.

American Business Council website is referenced in my previous post. It is mostly "business networking" but there are some social aspects.

Slingbox straight. VPN just adds encapsulation overhead that's unneeded. The only thing I use the SSH (similar to VPN) for is to look at flickr or upgrade skype.

Normally I'd invite you folks over this Saturday or Sunday for a game - but the 3 AM Sunday morning game is going to kill me on both Sat and Sun. How about in a week or two, we have a potluck at my place and watch live on the Slingbox. The only caveat is that I live in Sharjah (HA!!!!).

-md000/mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just moved to Dubai 2 months ago from chicago. I stay in the Marina i thought there would be loads of americans as people said all americans stay around this area.. All i found was europeans that speak bad english..... I need a Budwiser bad...
so many places have bud... even on tap. i don't spend alot of time in the marina even though I live there, but we'll find a place for sure. that is pretty much all i drink... amstel light or carlsberg if they don't have bud.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.