Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone :) Good day to all of you!

Firstly, I would like to say, I welcome all your comments about the post I make, good or bad, doesn't matter, feel free with anything.
And thank you for reading my post and replying to it.

I would like to know whether is it possible for a International Student currently living in the UK on a Student Visa, is able to marry a British Citizen, if so how is the proccedure and what should be done? Is it possible on a short term notice; If my visa is expiring within the next 6 months can I still marry and submit documents for a marraige visa?

[I have looked around the web but I cannot clearly figure out straightforward answers to it]

What are the rules and proccedure if the international student is taken as a dependant of a UK citizen, can he/she be sponsered by a UK citizen to gain dependant visa?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I would like to know whether is it possible for a International Student currently living in the UK on a Student Visa, is able to marry a British Citizen, if so how is the proccedure and what should be done? Is it possible on a short term notice; If my visa is expiring within the next 6 months can I still marry and submit documents for a marraige visa? What are the rules and proccedure if the international student is taken as a dependant of a UK citizen, can he/she be sponsered by a UK citizen to gain dependant visa?
If your student visa was issued for more than 6 months (e.g. a one-year visa), then yes, you are allowed to 'switch' to another visa category, such as marriage (spouse). Your visa doesn't have to have a remaining validity longer than 6 months - only the fact that it was initially issued for more than 6 months. After your wedding, you will have to apply to Home Office for settlement (marriage) visa, and you need to meet all the lengthy requirements, with documentary evidence. Look at UKBA site for details of applying as husband or wife of a British citizen at UK Border Agency | Husbands, wives and civil partners
If successful, you will get an initial two-year leave for a probationary period, and then you can apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.