Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a dual citizen of the US/Italy. I teach singing and speech to adults in a one-on-one format. Do you have any advice on where I could advertise my services, either online or in print? I previously taught at a one of the top music universities, Berklee College of Music in Boston. I'm only teaching in English at the moment.
Thank you!

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
What particular client group(s) are you targeting? Since you teach one on one I take it you want to advertise locally rather than nationally, or do you use Skype or similar?

Just to add - presumably you already have a siret number, because neither the French printed media nor online advertising sites can accept adverts for professional services without a siret number.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My singing students tend to be either semi-professional musicians, or corporate professionals looking for a creative outlet.
My speech and presentation clients are all corporate professionals.
In terms of the siret, I'm working on getting my autoentrepreneur status right now.
Thank you!

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
My singing students tend to be either semi-professional musicians, or corporate professionals looking for a creative outlet.
My speech and presentation clients are all corporate professionals.
In terms of the siret, I'm working on getting my autoentrepreneur status right now.
Thank you!
It sounds like you need to get yourself some business cards and flyers printed, get a website and start networking. Maybe approach the big local companies directly. Have a word with your chamber of commerce and see if they're willing to offer suggestions. Are there local business centres or meeting / conference venues where you can leave leaflets. You've probably thought of all this already.

You will probably have "free" competition because all employees have an annual training entitlement funded by the state/their employer at no cost to themselves. You have to jump through various hoops to become an accredited training provider, the rules keep changing and from what I hear it is a lot of hassle at the moment, but if you want to work with professionals it may be worth it in the long term.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
France puts a lot of importance on ongoing training and there are large pots of public money set aside for it. It sounds like professionals should be significant business for you so I think you need to look into it, otherwise you will miss out on part of your market.

Here's somewhere to start
https://www.service-public.fr/professionnels-entreprises/vosdroits/F19087

·
Administrator
51,989 Posts
It isn't (or wasn't) all that difficult to qualify as a "training provider" but there is ongoing reporting involved where you have to report your business results for those customers who are relying on your registration. Not sure how it works with an AE registration, but when we had our SARL it was relatively simple to comply with, if maybe a bit annoying due to the extra paperwork. (We had a mixed business, with only a small portion related to providing training.)
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts