Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I’m a 29yr old female living in Scotland who is currently seeking a fresh start in her life. Unfortunately I have mental health issues – although not serious, I have a depressive illness which I am currently recovering from.

I am single with no dependants, I would like to know about the options that might be available for me to make a move to the states in the future. I am seeking work as a PA (Personal Assistant) to Director level – I have working experience of this position for around 7years.

What I’d probably being seeking would be a position with accommodation and transportation options and working VISA.

I’d like to seek some advice on how feasible this would be and what the likely financial support I would need before I went any further.

Thanks!
P x

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Hi there!

I’m a 29yr old female living in Scotland who is currently seeking a fresh start in her life. Unfortunately I have mental health issues – although not serious, I have a depressive illness which I am currently recovering from.

I am single with no dependants, I would like to know about the options that might be available for me to make a move to the states in the future. I am seeking work as a PA (Personal Assistant) to Director level – I have working experience of this position for around 7years.

What I’d probably being seeking would be a position with accommodation and transportation options and working VISA.

I’d like to seek some advice on how feasible this would be and what the likely financial support I would need before I went any further.

Thanks!
P x
Your experience does not get near the qualification needed to go to the expense of hiring a foreigner

tou would need at least a degree with a Master or PhD being preferred
the main employment visa is the H1B

Read more here
H-1B visa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hi there!

Thanks!
P x
Welcome!

The openings for living and working in the US are shown here: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/am...ica/30374-looking-live-america-will-help.html
I'm afraid there's no generic work visa. US immigration is niche based and unless you fit in one of the very narrow niches, it's one of the most difficult countries to move to. As Davis said, if you have an academic degree, the H1b is probably your most likely candidate. However, most of these jobs are probably in the accounting, technology and scientific arenas. But never say never!

The job and the visa go together -- your potential employer applies on your behalf. One complication is that the H1b is numerically restricted (except certain categories) and the visa is out at this time. It will open up again in April for jobs starting Oct 2010.

Your illness is unlikely to be a show stopper. There are three areas where they are concerned: danger to self, danger to others, or becoming a public charge. But with non-immigrant visas (e.g. the H1b), there are minimum medical requirements. Generally, a medical is only undertaken at the time you apply for permanent residency unless you seem to be a great risk.

How much money you need depends on how you're getting here. With an H1b in your pocket, I think you could probably set sail with as little as $5k in your pocket as you're young and single. If you want to simply buy permanent residency, that's $0.5M down. And all points in between.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sounds like you may have trouble. Visa's obtained for a job really need to be something that no one in USA can do.
You can spend up to 3 months in USA on a holiday VISA but you wont be able to work.
Paul

·
Registered
82 Posts
sounds like you may have trouble. Visa's obtained for a job really need to be something that no one in USA can do.
You can spend up to 3 months in USA on a holiday VISA but you wont be able to work.
Paul
After the 3 months can you pop over the border and come back again?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
After the 3 months can you pop over the border and come back again?
Nope! You're playing with fire.

Travel to adjacent territories does not reset the clock.
VWP entrants are totally at the whim of the CBP officer or, more probably, their supervisor.

·
Administrator
50,470 Posts
Hmm, what does reset the clock then?
Is it 3 months in / 3 months out?
There's not a "clock" per se. Spending as much time outside as in is only a rule of thumb. Consider what the immigration people are looking for when screening on entry:

Someone with multiple stays to the max on a VWP throws up an automatic red flag, no matter how long between stays. It is a "visitor" visa after all.

They are looking for indications that you will have to return home (not just slip over the border to Canada or Mexico) - job, a home, family back there - and that you have a home to return to.

The border agents have complete discretion in allowing you into the country on a VWP. Anything that makes them think you're likely to abuse the program can be used to bar your entrance.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Hmm, what does reset the clock then?
Is it 3 months in / 3 months out?
Excess use is your best route to the UK:>( Read up on VWP. It is intended to ease visa proceedures for travelling/vacation not to live in the US. Welcome to the LDR Club. To answer your next question - every border crossing is on file and seen by the immigration officer at point of entry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts