Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a British citizen who in June will graduate with a masters degree in chemistry from manchester university. I spent the 3rd year of my degree at ucsb and fell in love with the us. The more research I've do the more hopeless it seems to be able to emigrate. I'd love to start my career in chemistry in the us or even just work in a hospitality role for a while especially somewhere in the south such as Texas. Anyone have any ideas or advice? Is interning an option which could lead to a full time job?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Pursue a Ph.D in the USA?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies

PhDs in the US take a lot longer and demand more hours so I don't fancy that. If I did a PhD in the UK would I be in the same situation when I finished it? Would I still be untested? Or would that create opportunities?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Kitty_cutie_pie: Nova Scotia isn't in the USA, it's part of Canada. Maybe ask your question in the Canadian part of this forum or google 'nova scotia provincial nominee program'.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you for the replies

PhDs in the US take a lot longer and demand more hours so I don't fancy that. If I did a PhD in the UK would I be in the same situation when I finished it? Would I still be untested? Or would that create opportunities?
The issue with American commercial companies employing from abroad is that they have to certify that they cannot find an equivalent person capable of doing the job in the US itself. This process in itself turns employers off from looking outside of the US, unless they are really desperate. So this might apply too even if you have a UK phd.

However, if you are referring to a postdoc research job at a university or relevant non-profit research organization, then they are exempt from the job certification and they are used to the simplified procedures. So finding postdoc jobs in the US is more about having good skillsets rather than overcoming administrative burdens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Internships are a great way to get your foot in the door. I would recommend contacting some companies that you'd like to work for, explain your situation, and offer to help out for free. Couldn't hurt to ask.

·
Administrator
49,111 Posts
Internships are a great way to get your foot in the door. I would recommend contacting some companies that you'd like to work for, explain your situation, and offer to help out for free. Couldn't hurt to ask.
The only problem is that a free internship won't get you sponsorship for a work visa.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts