Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been sent to me by an old friend of ours:

If you have haven't come across this article already, I thought it might interest you as it mentions Thatcher's influence on British freedoms and where that came from - also very relevant to today's PP:

From Quebec to Spain, anti-protest laws are threatening true democracy | Richard Seymour | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Personally I think the bit "To understand why this is happening, it is necessary to grasp the relationship between neoliberal austerity and popular democracy." is a load of dingo's kidneys. It is just the way right-wing governments deal with any complaints from the proletariat. For example - Nazi Gemany, Nazi Spain, Fascist Italy, Thatcherism. The extreme left do the same - Communist Russia, East Germany, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Poland and others, China, etc.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
& this is what I referred to the other day in the "olive oil" thread!

" "The Popular Party (PP) government has used a royal decree"
They are getting a bit too handy using this method don't people think ?
Like the UK terror legislation , it wasn't meant to be used to avoid debate, & a vote, on important items.
It appears to being used to put through anything they fancy ?
The next one is the ban on demonstrations/abusingm.p's/photographing police , etc."

I thought Franco was dead .

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Thanks for posting that, Baldy.
It seems as if the entire world is in the grip of a few ultra-wealthy and powerful groups of individuals who use governments to carry out their will and to stifle the resulting discontent...and the grip is tightening. We are passively watching it happen.
Karl Marx famously said that religion was the opiate of the masses. Were he alive now he might well say that Tesco, Sky TV, Premier League football and Marks and Spencer were the opiate of the masses.
Workers of the world unite..you have nothing to lose but your mortgaged house, crap tv and foreign- made car.
Bread and circuses indeed....

·
Registered
785 Posts
& this is what I referred to the other day in the "olive oil" thread!

" "The Popular Party (PP) government has used a royal decree"
They are getting a bit too handy using this method don't people think ?
Like the UK terror legislation , it wasn't meant to be used to avoid debate, & a vote, on important items.
It appears to being used to put through anything they fancy ?
The next one is the ban on demonstrations/abusingm.p's/photographing police , etc."

I thought Franco was dead .
As you can see Franco is not dead yet.I told this days ago in one post.
Well I hope the spaniards enjoy the party voted..;-))

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
" The reorganisation of states today in an authoritarian direction is part of a longer-term project to contain democracy while retaining a minimum of democratic legitimacy. That is what the anti-protest laws are about."

The right to protest is not given or legislated by governments but by the will of the people. No legislation will ever stop the right if the people feel strongly enough & are prepared to die for it.
Suppression of right to protest will eventually lead to internal revolution.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
" The reorganisation of states today in an authoritarian direction is part of a longer-term project to contain democracy while retaining a minimum of democratic legitimacy. That is what the anti-protest laws are about."

The right to protest is not given or legislated by governments but by the will of the people. No legislation will ever stop the right if the people feel strongly enough & are prepared to die for it.
Suppression of right to protest will eventually lead to internal revolution.
I doubt it, Gus.
Revolutions always end in terror and oppression because they are nearly always not supported by the mass of the people.
Looking objectively at the Russian and French' revolutions it's clear that they were in fact coups.

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
One of the primary targets of this new legislation will be the protests against evictions organised by the PAH - Plataforma de Afectados por la Hipoteca. They have physically prevented hundreds of jobless families and elderly people from being put on the streets. PAH has a lot of public support and the government hates it.

I don't think changes in the law will stop people protesting. They'd better start building more prisons.

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbJUuSFggHk

Under this new law – it would be the neighbour being prosecuted, not the killer cops

Read more Insult or photograph a copper: 30,000
So I take a video on my phone of cops beating someone up and I get fined €30,000.

This law is truly scary. If it goes through it will turn Spain (back) into a police state. They wrap it up with "anti-social behaviour"measures, to make it look like it's for the protection of law-abiding citizens. But if those citizens protest about injustice, they are no longer law-abiding, they become the enemy of the state.

I see that today they have made "concessions" in face of a torrent of criticism, such as reducing the fine for demonstrating outside government buildings from €600,000 to €30,000. Yeah, right.

Popular Party officials tone down draft

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Only €30,000 now? That means I can demonstrate at least 6 times a year...

Reactions: 213979

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
We should start a "grant fund" for protesters who get fined. For fear of deportation I might think twice now, HOWEVER I would be more than willing to donate towards a peaceful protester's/protest's multa.

·
Registered
19,392 Posts

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Las derechistas will always be like that.
The leader of the historic Spanish reactionary conservative movement called the Spanish Confederation of the Autonomous Right declared his intention to "give Spain a true unity, a new spirit, a totalitarian polity..." and went on to say "Democracy is not an end but a means to the conquest of the new state. When the time comes, either parliament submits or we will eliminate it."
Rajoy and his mob would be almost Totalitarian except that their leader has almost a zero when it comes to charisma and a very high rating when it comes to corruption so that suggests more of an Authoritarianist regime. Never forget that the PP is the dregs of Franco's power base repackaged.

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
Council of Europe slams PP bill that hikes fines for protestors at public rallies...

Council of Europe slams PP bill that hikes fines for protestors at public rallies | In English | EL PAÍS

This Act could so easily be seen as Spain's version of the USA's Homeland Security Act and Blair's Terrorism Act. Once in place, it can be amended and added to just as the aforementioned acts have been amended and added to by the US and UK.
I've heard it referred to as "sleepwalking into fascism" and reminiscent of Germany in the 1930s. Little by little, citizen's rights are eroded "for their own good" until suddenly they wake up and realise what they've lost. Is that an over-reaction, do you think?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Definitely not an over-reaction... I see this new Act as something that Jose Maria Aznar' s PP Govt. would have introduced back in 2004 in the wake of the Madrid Cercanias bombing had they been re-elected. That his political fandangling backfired on him and he lost to the PSOE just delayed things

For those who may not have seen it before, here is a video which accurately sums up Blair's response to protests...

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've heard it referred to as "sleepwalking into fascism" and reminiscent of Germany in the 1930s. Little by little, citizen's rights are eroded "for their own good" until suddenly they wake up and realise what they've lost. Is that an over-reaction, do you think?
The PP are doing just what all derechistas do, what they did back in the 30s - the rights of the people are non-existent except that they have the right to be used as cannon fodder and submit to everything the derechista power base wants to throw at them.

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
And today's little extention to what is essentially Spain's Public Order Act...

Private security guards to get powers to arrest people on the street | In English | EL PAÍS

The PP et al., really are running scared... maybe they should adopt a new motto...

"Do unto others before they can do it to you...!"
So not content with turning the country into a police state, they are now giving themselves the power to enlist private armies. When will it end?

... private-security services with enhanced powers — such as the right to ask people to identify themselves and to detain them — will be allowed in certain situations and circumstances, such as at bank cash machines, at sporting and cultural events, or any event “of social importance” held in public places and thoroughfares.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
And today's little extention to what is essentially Spain's Public Order Act...

Private security guards to get powers to arrest people on the street | In English | EL PAÍS

The PP et al., really are running scared... maybe they should adopt a new motto...

"Do unto others before they can do it to you...!"
Why do they need to employ private security guards? Surely the Polizia local should be doing the arresting.
In my town I was surprised to see the polizia local being 'lolly pop' men and women, helping kids cross the road, often with cigarette in hand,surely this could be done more cost effectively by an unemployed local. Also many times I have seen the politizia Park their car by the beach, have a little walk, then stop in one of the bars for a coffee, what a lovely life for them, I have never seen them do any policing duties and wonder what they get payed for.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts