Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,
I have an H1B and my wife has an H4 visa. Basically it's like she doesn't exist in society. she obviously doesn't have a ss number, so it's not only that she can't work, she finds it difficult to do anything.....bank loans, credit cards and even the most simple things, such as obstaining a fishing licence from the local department of natural resources here in Wisconsin has been a nightmare. Apparently it's a security thing. I often see dodgy, shady, terrorist types on the spring creeks here!
sorry I digress. Would be great if anyone could give me some advise on how to change this situation. Is there a simple answer. she is a well respected curator and writer, so if she could get a job here, she could apply for an O1, but for now, just to feel like she exists, is there anything we could do?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Would be great if anyone could give me some advise on how to change this situation.
Get your company to sponsor you for a green card. As your spouse, she'll get one, too, and then can work for whoever she wants, have a social security number, etc. Viability of this plan depends on your employment classification. EB1 or EB2 and you'll have the card within a year. EB3 and there's a long wait.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts