Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to rent somewhere in Spain from mid September, I need a base somewhere, but I travel for 60% of the year. Am I tax resident? I currently pay tax on my pension in the uk, it's not a state pension, I don't get that for another 7.5 years! Thanks in advance for any help/advice

·
Administrator
36,600 Posts
I'm hoping to rent somewhere in Spain from mid September, I need a base somewhere, but I travel for 60% of the year. Am I tax resident? I currently pay tax on my pension in the uk, it's not a state pension, I don't get that for another 7.5 years! Thanks in advance for any help/advice
:welcome:

You really need to speak to an expert, but if Spain is your main base then Spain will consider you to be tax resident, regardless of how long you stay here - unless you can prove that you are actually (physically as well as tax) resident elsewhere

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree, take professional advice.

As a general rule of thumb, you are resident in Spain for tax purposes if any of the following apply:

You spend more than 183 days in Spain in one calendar year. This is whether or not you take out a formal residence permit. These days do not have to be consecutive. Temporary absences from Spain are ignored for the purpose of the 183-day rule unless it can be proved that you are habitually resident in another country for more than 183 days a calendar year,

Your “centre of economic interests” is in Spain, i.e. the base for your economic or professional activities is in Spain.

Your “centre of vital interests” is in Spain – i.e. your spouse lives here (and you are not legally separated), and/or your dependent minor children do. In this case you are presumed Spanish resident, unless proven otherwise, even though you may spend less than 183 days per year in Spain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 'economic interests' are in the UK, i.e. Pension paid from there, tax paid to them. My daughter and husband are there, not legally separated, I don't own a house anywhere. I'll just be living, part time, in Spain

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 'economic interests' are in the UK, i.e. Pension paid from there, tax paid to them. My daughter and husband are there, not legally separated, I don't own a house anywhere. I'll just be living, part time, in Spain
More than 3 months at a time? More than 183 days in a year?

·
Administrator
36,600 Posts
That 'might' be enough to convince hacienda / the tax office that you aren't tax resident in Spain, assuming you are here less than half the tax year & you financially support the family in the UK.

But it might not. The only way to know 100% is to speak to them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts