Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
423 Posts
I have been here almost 1.5 years and this is the third case that I saw. One I experienced in my company and they guy was a coworker. The audacity of some is astonishingly unreal

I am not saying that all Brits are doing this, but folks you are building a reputation and a bad one.
And you believe what you read in Gulfnews?

As for the Indian quirk - well they usually go around killing each other over trivial matters. I can guarantee there are more Indians in the jails of the UAE than any other nationality.

N

·
0 Posts
I said build a reputation... 3 people 3 Brits. There are millions of Indians and have not heard about any making the news.
Then you have your head in the sand. There are many, many negative stereotypes of Indians, which were probably started when 3 Indians did something that wasn't right. Yes,there are millions of Indians, or should I say people. Just because a few people do something that isn't right, the whole culture/country shouldn't be accused of it, just as its wrong to stereotype Brits as forging degrees because 3 did it - there are millions of Brits, after all

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
It probably wasn't even Brits, it's probably just Indians with British passports trying to pass themselves off as Brits. I know some who have done that so they all probably do.

·
Registered
196 Posts
hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm..........makes me wonder. Had to have my degree attested before I got my visa. At the time I thought it was outrageous, thinking 'do they think I photo-shopped my degree' etc and now it all seems to make sense.

Actions of a few makes life difficult for everyone else

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And you believe what you read in Gulfnews?
It is a newspaper. Or do you think that the whole thing was made up ?

As for the Indian quirk - well they usually go around killing each other over trivial matters. I can guarantee there are more Indians in the jails of the UAE than any other nationality.
Sure it does, with 1 billion ppl , with a lot moving overseas and given the ties with the UAE, it sure does. I fail to see your point genius.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's because Indians are building a reputation for lying and cheating so it's not really considered newsworthy when they do it.
Really ?

As far as I know, Lies and Cheating are common almost everywhere in the world so yeah they are mundane almost everywhere. It only gets serious when it reaches public level (State, parliament and etc...) or the Media celebs or when there is murders/ killings associated.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm..........makes me wonder. Had to have my degree attested before I got my visa. At the time I thought it was outrageous, thinking 'do they think I photo-shopped my degree' etc and now it all seems to make sense.

What are the chances the guy in question actually had an attested forged degree?

In many cases the whole chain of attestations isnt actually authenticating the certificate, they are just authenticating the "seal/stamp" of the organization before them. So if a forged paper goes through the first stage, it may well be attested as any other degree.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yes you'd better do. Bare in mind that there are procedures to attest, though. It is not as easy as to get documents notarized. The notarization process that I had to go through followed the rules of the UAE Embassy in Canada and in Brazil.

You can find the details by getting in touch with the UAE embassy in the UK.

In my case it was ridiculous, I believe I had paid probably $80 bucks to get a single paper attested following the rules of the UAE Embassy & if you have any documents issued outside of the UK you gotta follow the instructions of that jurisdiction through the Embassy of the UAE in that country.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What are the chances the guy in question actually had an attested forged degree?

In many cases the whole chain of attestations isnt actually authenticating the certificate, they are just authenticating the "seal/stamp" of the organization before them. So if a forged paper goes through the first stage, it may well be attested as any other degree.

That would be a flaw in the process of validation of the country where that certificate was issued. In some countries, the due diligence is not great but in others are.

I found that the attestation process in Canada weak compared to Brazil. For example in Brazil, the Ministry of Education has the power to attest degrees and they confer with the institutions.

In Canada, however, the lawyer is on the hook. If someone forges a document and gets it notarized through a legal lawyer, the foreign affairs of Canada will go after the lawyer and the person. Foreign affairs do not validate with institutions n this case the authenticity of the document..

It also represents that the company hiring has a poor review in assessing qualifications. In all places I worked they run checks and security clearance depending on the level of info you are accessing or work with.

N

·
0 Posts
Really ?

As far as I know, Lies and Cheating are common almost everywhere in the world so yeah they are mundane almost everywhere. It only gets serious when it reaches public level (State, parliament and etc...) or the Media celebs or when there is murders/ killings associated.
Oh. So then it would be wrong to stereotype one race as being liars or cheaters, or to stereotype another as forgers of documents?

Lying and cheating are serious right at the source, not just when it gets to a higher level. You think it's mundane otherwise? Wow

·
12,495 Posts
I am constantly getting emails offering me degrees from the USA. If I was a bit bent I could have so many qualifications I would look like a flippin genius:D

Note, I said these emails come from the USA, not from Britain so obviously the practice is rife over there.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Are you a native Canadian or an Indian who has the Canadian passport?

People of all nationalities forge diplomas and/or lie about their past experiences. It happens everywhere. I'm not sure what was the point of starting this thread?

I have been here almost 1.5 years and this is the third case that I saw. One I experienced in my company and they guy was a coworker. The audacity of some is astonishingly unreal

I am not saying that all Brits are doing this, but folks you are building a reputation and a bad one.

gulfnews : Ex-manager denies abuse of public office, embezzling money from Dubai World

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.