Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
50,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, we've veered from Angela Merkel to this massacre in Las Vegas....

But as far as the "good guy with a gun" theory goes - I suspect there were LOTS of armed folks at the concert. For one, there were apparently a number of off-duty police officers (at least one of whom got killed) - and from my experience, they are very often carrying when off duty. Not much they could do, given that the shots were coming from the 32nd or 34th floor of the hotel across the street. (And were likely fully automatic rounds, not some "wussy" "semi-automatic")

Add to that the little fact that Nevada has close to the most lax gun laws of any state, and I think you can put the "good guy with a gun" thing to rest.

I have to say, I'm almost relieved that it was a "good old American gun nut mass murder" rather than a "terrorist event." Not sure why exactly.

And the weekend in Catalonia was simply disgraceful. I don't understand all the issues involved, but sending in the Storm Troopers sure made it look like maybe the "leave" group there had good reasons.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Wow, we've veered from Angela Merkel to this massacre in Las Vegas....

But as far as the "good guy with a gun" theory goes - I suspect there were LOTS of armed folks at the concert. For one, there were apparently a number of off-duty police officers (at least one of whom got killed) - and from my experience, they are very often carrying when off duty. Not much they could do, given that the shots were coming from the 32nd or 34th floor of the hotel across the street. (And were likely fully automatic rounds, not some "wussy" "semi-automatic")

Add to that the little fact that Nevada has close to the most lax gun laws of any state, and I think you can put the "good guy with a gun" thing to rest.

I have to say, I'm almost relieved that it was a "good old American gun nut mass murder" rather than a "terrorist event." Not sure why exactly.

And the weekend in Catalonia was simply disgraceful. I don't understand all the issues involved, but sending in the Storm Troopers sure made it look like maybe the "leave" group there had good reasons.
Cheers,
Bev
Apparently IS has just taken responsibility. However, the guy used an M16 and had heaps of other guns in his vehicle.

Worth noting that his is not the usual profile for a terrorist - 64 years old etc.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Apparently IS has just taken responsibility. However, the guy used an M16 and had heaps of other guns in his vehicle.

Worth noting that his is not the usual profile for a terrorist - 64 years old etc.
All premature yet, but that just doesn't add up to me. Supposedly, gunman killed self not going out martyr-style in a blaze of gunfire. I guess we'll know much more when his Australian 'room mate' is found.

As Bev suspects, I would imagine country & western fans to be packing pistols, but she's right not much you can do against shots coming from a tall building. Kind of like the univ of texas sniper shooting. Was that the worst mass US killing before this? Hard to keep track anymore.

Sadiq Khan could have a deserved go at Trump but he's too dignified for that. Trump and his 'warm' condolences.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
All premature yet, but that just doesn't add up to me. Supposedly, gunman killed self not going out martyr-style in a blaze of gunfire. I guess we'll know much more when his Australian 'room mate' is found.

As Bev suspects, I would imagine country & western fans to be packing pistols, but she's right not much you can do against shots coming from a tall building. Kind of like the univ of texas sniper shooting. Was that the worst mass US killing before this? Hard to keep track anymore.

Sadiq Khan could have a deserved go at Trump but he's too dignified for that. Trump and his 'warm' condolences.

Can we please get back to the situation in Spain :), Angela Merkal, Brexit, and now the mess in Catalonia.

Far more relevant on this side of the forum methinks :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Smeg, there are American expats on this board who might care, although I'm fine with moving on talking from it lol because the attitudes on here seem kind of callous. And to those seeing this just as another "rote" thing that doesn't warrant much...I don't know, concern?... I'll be a harbinger of doom and just say hope nothing like this ever touches you because these kinds of things won't seem so "blasé" then. I mean, people die of cancer all the time but that doesn't make it a load of nothing or "eh, happens every day." I wish the world was more compassionate overall, but that's probably the same as wishing for world peace. I mean, hey, if the world was more compassionate maybe we'd HAVE world peace. This crap definitely gets me upset so ... how do they say... "je me sauve"...

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts

Agree it's premature and apparently the US has rejected IS claim. Whatever, it's a terrible situation.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Smeg, there are American expats on this board who might care, although I'm fine with moving on talking from it lol because the attitudes on here seem kind of callous. And to those seeing this just as another "rote" thing that doesn't warrant much...I don't know, concern?... I'll be a harbinger of doom and just say hope nothing like this ever touches you because these kinds of things won't seem so "blasé" then. I mean, people die of cancer all the time but that doesn't make it a load of nothing or "eh, happens every day." I wish the world was more compassionate overall, but that's probably the same as wishing for world peace. I mean, hey, if the world was more compassionate maybe we'd HAVE world peace. This crap definitely gets me upset so ... how do they say... "je me sauve"...
Two young girls (17 & 20) got knifed to death in Marseille yesterday by an ISIS fanatic but the world has seemed to have moved on from that one very quickly.

I am sorry, this is just another gun crime in America. I am betting that if you add up all the other individual deaths by gun crime in America in the last 48hrs it will surpass the number of deaths in this incident.

It is a none story. We all know the score with guns an America. We have had threads about it. It happens, it will happen again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I for one do care. I awoke this morning to this awful news, and I do understand those who think it's just another day in the US. Because it is.
It's tragic, so many people killed and they were all loved by friends and family and will be sorely missed. I've given up asking ...and for what?
They were killed because someone had the right to own a gun, a killing machine.
There's so much killing by guns that we are starting to become numb to it.
Does it not say something about us as a community in the world when we ask...how many this time?
One is far too many.

·
Administrator
50,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've moved the discussion of the Las Vegas shooting into its own thread. Excuse the somewhat arbitrary cutoff point - it's late here and I'm tired tonight.

One very interesting clip I saw - on SkyNews, though I think it was from their "Fox News" affiliate - had the reporter stuck on the "wrong" side of the block that was shut down, so they didn't really have any "photo opps." All of a sudden, the reporter asked the camera man to show a billboard down the block that was advertising a big gun show coming up this weekend in Las Vegas, or nearby at least.

There have been plenty of comments about Nevada being the state with the "most lax" gun laws in the US. And I guess now they're saying that the "rifles" they found in the hotel room had all (or nearly all) been modified to function as automatic weapons.

There is something very strange going on back there. This is definitely not the place I remember - even if all the signs were there back when I lived there.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
89 Posts
Which must be why every media outlet in the world is featuring it as today's most important story.
Of course it's the most important story. Death sells. The more death, the more it sells. Makes me think of the Don Henley song 'Dirty Laundry'. As 'warmest condolences' Trump would say, 'sad'.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I do have to wonder, however, how much the over-publicity of these events contributes to their propagation.
I think that one guy killing 59 and wounding more than 500 in any western country would be big news. Of course, 1200 deaths from flooding in India, Nepal and Bangladesh make a blip on the radar.

·
Administrator
50,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that one guy killing 59 and wounding more than 500 in any western country would be big news. Of course, 1200 deaths from flooding in India, Nepal and Bangladesh make a blip on the radar.
Oh, I don't argue that it's "big news" - just that in an international context I kind of doubt that it warrants pre-emption of all other programming, with the endless speculation about motive, affiliation and whatever else. It's the obsessive reporting that bothers me. There really IS other news happening in the world at the same time that should be covered, too.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
58/59 killed and around 500 'injured' is hardly a 'none story'...:nono:
But 95 people on average (so I read today) get killed in the USA PER DAY with guns !!! Why don't we have daily headlines like ....'95 people got shot today in the USA'. Does one large killing spree really make this story more important. Well yes I guess, but after a while it does become tiresome reading about it. Yes America has a big gun problem. We know that. It is not news in that respect. It is up to them to sort it out....it has nothing to do with Europe.

On that point, an awful lot of important news has been relegated because of this shooting in the European media. What about what happened in Spain !!!! Bomb discovered in Paris. Attack in Marseille.

I don't know why the European media is so fascinated with gun crime in America. There will be another one, and another one and another one. It is self inflicted. Nothing more can be said.

·
Banned
63 Posts
On that point, an awful lot of important news has been relegated because of this shooting in the European media. What about what happened in Spain !!!! Bomb discovered in Paris. Attack in Marseille.

You seem to close your mind and listen to what you want to hear as all of these things have been reported on the french, german, dutch and belgium news.

In fact, the terrorist in Marseilles was only just released from police custody the day before he stabbed to death the 2 cousins. That was from Belgium news. From the French news, they reported that he lived in Italy and was married to an Italian.

Open your mind and stop watching to SKY news.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
But 95 people on average (so I read today) get killed in the USA PER DAY with guns !!! Why don't we have daily headlines like ....'95 people got shot today in the USA'. Does one large killing spree really make this story more important. Well yes I guess, but after a while it does become tiresome reading about it. Yes America has a big gun problem. We know that. It is not news in that respect. It is up to them to sort it out....it has nothing to do with Europe.

I don't know why the European media is so fascinated with gun crime in America. There will be another one, and another one and another one. It is self inflicted. Nothing more can be said.
The Las Vegas shooting is certainly the major story in Australia, however the Marseille attack is also in the news there.

I think the US mass shooting hits the headlines because (a) the US is currently the major world power and (b) it's an Anglophone country. OTOH mass deaths in many countries get hardly any coverage in Anglophone and European media., possibly because we tend not to identify with them (or possibly we don't identify with them because they get so little coverage in our media).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts