Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start with, I'd better confess that I've never been a great believer in doctors.

I have a médecin traitant in the town where I live. In all the time I've been here I have never needed to see him, but he seems a very nice chap, and is highly recommended by all around.

There is another doctor who is not local - he's 200km or so away, in a town where I once worked temporarily - and I know him a little; I've never consulted him personally but I have had many a long and interesting discussion with him, and I know he's very open-minded and interested in all kinds of therapies.

I'm not ill as such (as far as I know!) but I have certain growing concerns, and I'd like to discuss them with the second doctor. It's more a case of asking for information really, to understand what's happening and try and establish in my own mind whether it's all just a normal part of the ageing process or whether a test or two might be a good idea. But I'd prefer to keep it off the record at this stage. (Yes I know, but I just would.) If I have a consultation with this doctor, do you reckon my MT will automatically be notified?

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
Technically, yes, your MT should be notified - not necessarily of the subject of the visit, but of any prescriptions or tests that are ordered up by whoever you consult. That's how the MT is supposed to work.

I suppose that if you are willing to pay for the appointment and not have it submitted to the CPAM for payment, there is nothing to stop you from having an "off the record" conversation with the other doctor. He might be willing to keep things off the record, not prescribe and simply give you some information about what to say or ask about with your MT. I'm not at all sure if there are any "issues" that would arise for him by having a "non-reported" office visit, but I guess you won't know unless you call the office and ask.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I'm not in favour of white lies, but they serve a need sometimes? Why not see your friend and listen to what he says. Pretend you are on holiday and need to see a doctor. The Secu copes with this. Any lab tests etc will be sent to your MT, but you will get a copy...so you can send it to your friend. The problem might be if your MT strongly disagrees with the treatment...... but wait for that to occur?

I know several French people wbo have the usual MT, and use a variety of alternative medical professionals. From what I hear this is frictionless. Some years ago I used an old lady who successfuly removed inflammation by passing her hands repeatedly over the affected part. Pure witchcraft... but it worked. I sheepishly told my lady MT and she sheepishly admitted that she had taken her son to the same lady. If you ask an MT about osteopaths you get a big no, no.....to my knowledge 2 MTs use an osteopath personally.

Our bodies are like car engines.....trouble free for the first 100,000 km, and then things start going wrong. Long term it's the scrap yard in both cases?

DejW

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
Depends on the doctor, actually. At one point, my MT suggested that I might want to see an osteopath - and she explained that it wouldn't be reimbursed, but that it would be worth a try if whatever pain it was I was having continued.

I'm not sure even a little white lie is necessary. Why not just ask the other doctor what the reimbursement status is of the appointment if he makes no prescription for you (or if he does). At 200 km distance, I don't think the CPAM is going to assume anything untoward - it's just a matter of what the doctor needs to fulfill his obligation.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hello ET,
There's no problem going to see a doctor other than your MT - I doubt whether he would mind if he found out. The only thing is, you won't get the normal refund. For treatment hors parcours de soins, the CPAM only gives you 30% back.

Take care.

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
Hello ET,
There's no problem going to see a doctor other than your MT - I doubt whether he would mind if he found out. The only thing is, you won't get the normal refund. For treatment hors parcours de soins, the CPAM only gives you 30% back.

Take care.
Lydi, thanks for that. I thought there was a difference in the refund rate, but wasn't sure of that. Makes sense.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 8 of 8 Posts