Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Egyptian authorities on Saturday deported a US citizen with a diplomatic passport for not having a visa. The decision to deport the US national is based on the law that any diplomat entering the country is obliged to obtain a visa in advance.
Based on the principle of reciprocity, foreign nationals whose countries require a visa for diplomatic and official passports will be obliged to apply the same requirement in Egypt and obtain a visa in advance.
Egypt, however, allows tourists from the US, Europe and particular countries to buy a visa at the airport upon their arrival.

US citizen with diplomatic passport deported from Cairo airport for no visa - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online

·
Registered
25 Posts
This isn't anything new - I know of a few people, not knowing or forgetting the rules, and not having their ordinary passport with them, who this has happened to since the rules changed [which I think was before the Revolution]. Happens in other countries and I had it happen to me entering Turkey a few years ago, but luckily had my ordinary passport and was able to enter with a tourist stamp that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It is funny how they are selectively applying the law these days...
It's not just in Egypt, and it's not just these days that the law is applied selectively:

"I will not stand idly by while law enforcement is applied to the poor and disenfranchised while the rich stand by and flaunt their immunity" - Ray Lewis (Retired Philadelphia Police Captain, arrested at the Occupy Wall Street demonstration in 2011)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.