Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm in the UK military :plane: and met my fiancee when I was working in the US last year. We are in the process of working on a fiancee visa for her to move over to the UK as soon as possible.

I've read through a lot of the posts on here to try to get my head around the whole process and what is required to support our application but have come up with a few questions that I hope someone might be able to help out with.

While I was working in America, she came to visit me where I was staying and visa versa but there is little proof of this. We stayed in contact via a pay-as-you-go phone that I was using out there and using skype/facebook to chat all the time. I believe she has kept some bus ticket stubs from when she came to see me which presumably we can use, but should I also include skype records where possible? I don't have any records from the phone.
She has come over to the UK a couple of times too, and I believe she still has her airline tickets which I plan to include. We also have some (though not many) photos of us together, along with some with the rest of my family from christmas when she stayed. Would those be good to include?

One of the issues we have had is that due to my job, I have been deployed for a couple of periods in the last year which has meant time apart. If it wasn't for this, then she would have stayed here for longer or I would have gone out there to see her. Does this reflect badly? I plan to get a complete breakdown of my assignments from work to show how my circumstances have not made it easy, would that be adequate?

In terms of having a flight booked for her to come over, we want to do that as soon as possible. This does of course depend on when we get visa confirmation and she has her passport back with her, so I am a bit nervous about booking flights without this confirmed. I was hoping someone could tell me how to provisionally book a flight, because everywhere I have booked travel with before has required upfront payment.

With sending my personal documents out with the application I wanted to check what form they need to be in. Obviously hers must be originals, but I had hoped that I can send an official copy of mine. If so, is the Post-Office document checking service adequate, or should it be done by a solicitor? The same question also applies to my houses property deeds where we plan to live.

I'm sure I'll have more questions while I'm putting the final bits and pieces together, but any help on those points would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
Hi all,
I'm in the UK military :plane: and met my fiancee when I was working in the US last year. We are in the process of working on a fiancee visa for her to move over to the UK as soon as possible.

I've read through a lot of the posts on here to try to get my head around the whole process and what is required to support our application but have come up with a few questions that I hope someone might be able to help out with.

While I was working in America, she came to visit me where I was staying and visa versa but there is little proof of this. We stayed in contact via a pay-as-you-go phone that I was using out there and using skype/facebook to chat all the time. I believe she has kept some bus ticket stubs from when she came to see me which presumably we can use, but should I also include skype records where possible? I don't have any records from the phone.
She has come over to the UK a couple of times too, and I believe she still has her airline tickets which I plan to include. We also have some (though not many) photos of us together, along with some with the rest of my family from christmas when she stayed. Would those be good to include?
Send all those pieces of evidence in some sort of logical order, to show you have met in person and have had chance to get to know.

One of the issues we have had is that due to my job, I have been deployed for a couple of periods in the last year which has meant time apart. If it wasn't for this, then she would have stayed here for longer or I would have gone out there to see her. Does this reflect badly? I plan to get a complete breakdown of my assignments from work to show how my circumstances have not made it easy, would that be adequate?
They will understand that your military duties have made it difficult, so give a full explanation.

In terms of having a flight booked for her to come over, we want to do that as soon as possible. This does of course depend on when we get visa confirmation and she has her passport back with her, so I am a bit nervous about booking flights without this confirmed. I was hoping someone could tell me how to provisionally book a flight, because everywhere I have booked travel with before has required upfront payment.
Don't book a flight even provisionally if it means advance payment, The only type of ticket you don't have to pay in advance is full-price flexible ticket, which costs thousands of dollars. So hold off until she gets her visa and book. While a visa is normally promptly issued (she should get her passport back within 10 days or so), it can sometimes take much longer when enquiries have to be made or the case is referred to London.

With sending my personal documents out with the application I wanted to check what form they need to be in. Obviously hers must be originals, but I had hoped that I can send an official copy of mine. If so, is the Post-Office document checking service adequate, or should it be done by a solicitor? The same question also applies to my houses property deeds where we plan to live.
The only document that can be a photocopy is the bio pages of your British passport. Everything else has to be an original. For a place you haven't yet rented, you can just send agen'ts particulars. All receipts, bank statement, birth certificate etc have to be originals. If you enclose a photocopy, the original will be returned. If for any reason you must send in a certified copy, you have to explain the reasons in a covering letter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help Joppa. If I had to use a certified copy, is there a recommended service to use? I know the Post Office have a document checking service, or should I go to a solicitor to have it done?

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
Thanks for the help Joppa. If I had to use a certified copy, is there a recommended service to use? I know the Post Office have a document checking service, or should I go to a solicitor to have it done?
Certification should be done by the body that originally issued the document, so it's simpler just to send in the original.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again, I'll look into that.

Another issue which has been highlighted to us is that she has a 3 misdemeanours to her name, all of which happened a good few years ago. What effect might this have on our application?

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
Thanks again, I'll look into that.

Another issue which has been highlighted to us is that she has a 3 misdemeanours to her name, all of which happened a good few years ago. What effect might this have on our application?
Depends on the nature and gravity of the offences. If they happened more than 7 years ago, they are likely to be regarded as spent and don't need to be disclosed, unless she was jailed for longer than 6 months, in which case it's 10 years up to 2.5 years. Fines are considered spent after 5 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on the nature and gravity of the offences. If they happened more than 7 years ago, they are likely to be regarded as spent and don't need to be disclosed, unless she was jailed for longer than 6 months, in which case it's 10 years up to 2.5 years. Fines are considered spent after 5 years.
No it's nothing serious (in my opinion at least), no jail or anything like that. It was all around 5 years ago so I'm hoping that it doesn't have too much of a dramatic impact. At least it sounds like it's not a game-ender.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.