Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We already operate a business out of New York which is incorporated within the same state, employs staff and is trading relatively healthy, all things considered.

As the principal shareholder, where do I stand if I wanted to transfer to the US business late next year for a period of time?

Does this fall under the L1 (even though the business is already set up and trading with US citizens as staff) or is there not a visa that caters for this?

Finally, as with a recent post by me, I have had some issues with immigration relating to the number of leisure visits to the US. Employing staff requires review meetings etc which are best conducted in person. As their line manager, is there any leverage on a B1 visa to be allowed through to meet with staff?

My understanding is that unless you are in possession of an L1, Green Card or similar, you can be denied at the POE on a whim.

R

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
L1 requires you to have been working for the overseas office of the same company for at least one year. You don't state.

An E2 may also be possible.

Also, don't be surprised if there is no visa available for your circumstances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
L1 requires you to have been working for the overseas office of the same company for at least one year. You don't state.

An E2 may also be possible.

Also, don't be surprised if there is no visa available for your circumstances.
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. It's my firm, I have run it with staff here in the UK for around 5 years.

R

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. It's my firm, I have run it with staff here in the UK for around 5 years.

R
So you're in the L1 or E2 arena. Find yourself a suitably experienced US immigration attorney and go from there. Trying to do it on a VWP or B1 entry is going to end in tears at the most inopportune moment. Pay special attention to your tax status when planning your route.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts