Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

myself and a mate are driving around the world from ireland to australia. i am going to stay in oz for a year on a whv. we are currently in pakistan and hope to be in melbourne for christmas. we have a bit of a predicament regarding the car and what to do with it so we dont break the carnet rules so the bond isn't lost.
the car is a 98 VW passat, 1.9tdi with 250km on the clock. its an estate and relatively clean except a nasty scrape on the left wing and door. came from ireland so its a right hand drive so no problems there.
i have read through some of the previous threads regarding importing cars from uk/irl and it not being very feasible, however our case is different as we sill be shipping the car from india and it has to be shipped somewhere either back to ireland or to oz. if we ship it to oz and bring it in under the carnet we will have to ship it back to ireland before august 2010. so the most feasible thing looks like permanently importing it into oz. therefore:
1) is this possible for someone on a whv to permanently import it?
2) if it is possible, would anyone have a ballpark figure of what the costs would be like?

i have some friends who are oz citizens so i could possibly ask them to import it in their name and then transfer it to me if the whv thing is a problem.

thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi all,

myself and a mate are driving around the world from ireland to australia. i am going to stay in oz for a year on a whv. we are currently in pakistan and hope to be in melbourne for christmas. we have a bit of a predicament regarding the car and what to do with it so we dont break the carnet rules so the bond isn't lost.
the car is a 98 VW passat, 1.9tdi with 250km on the clock. its an estate and relatively clean except a nasty scrape on the left wing and door. came from ireland so its a right hand drive so no problems there.
i have read through some of the previous threads regarding importing cars from uk/irl and it not being very feasible, however our case is different as we sill be shipping the car from india and it has to be shipped somewhere either back to ireland or to oz. if we ship it to oz and bring it in under the carnet we will have to ship it back to ireland before august 2010. so the most feasible thing looks like permanently importing it into oz. therefore:
1) is this possible for someone on a whv to permanently import it?
2) if it is possible, would anyone have a ballpark figure of what the costs would be like?

i have some friends who are oz citizens so i could possibly ask them to import it in their name and then transfer it to me if the whv thing is a problem.

thanks
Hi currently trying to import a bike just now. Not sure about visa but one thing that is a definite is you have to have owned and used the car for at least 12 months.

All the best

1 - 3 of 3 Posts