Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Do you think she will? I am not sure. She is on her father's sponsorship. If anything, her company would get into more trouble. She could claim ignorance. If they had an MoL inspection, they would be in heaps of trouble. I hope she isn't sitting at the reception.
Well, my understanding is that the company faces a 50K AED fine per person and the illegal worker faces deportation. Of course, if there is wasta involved the results could be different.
Just did a quick google search, and while it deals more with housemaids, it refers to illegal workers as well
Dh50,000 fine for hiring illegal maids enforced - Emirates 24/7

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
This is also to stop the business of people buying visas. If I had been this young lady, I don't think I would have stayed with a company that did not provide me with the legal documents I required and I would also have kept a paper trail of follow-ups with HR to prove my case in case it was required. Anyway, it's all hindsight now....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, since you are illegally employed you are lucky that you are even getting paid. If you go to the Ministry of Labour with your complaint, you will be deported.
well i dont think its my fault they havent processed my labor card.. i gave all my documents i was born and raised here i have no other home to be deported to.. its their problem not proc3essing it not mine right?? :s

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Do you think she will? I am not sure. She is on her father's sponsorship. If anything, her company would get into more trouble. She could claim ignorance. If they had an MoL inspection, they would be in heaps of trouble. I hope she isn't sitting at the reception.
sadly, i am sitting at the reception but my job is not limited to the reception job which is my problem of being overused with no laborcard and salary drama haha..

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Mo0nStaR21 said:
sadly, i am sitting at the reception but my job is not limited to the reception job which is my problem of being overused with no laborcard and salary drama haha..
I wasn't thinking of job content, more of your position physically in the office itself. No disrespect to your employer, but they aren't the sharpest tool in the shed to put an employee who is not legally employed on the 'frontline' so to speak are they? Incidentally, reception is a crucial job in the smooth running of the facilities and administration of a business.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
well i dont think its my fault they havent processed my labor card.. i gave all my documents i was born and raised here i have no other home to be deported to.. its their problem not proc3essing it not mine right?? :s
Not sure they would have that much sympathy that you don't have a "home" to be deported to if your passport is not UAE.

I read not long ago of a person born here being deported to Thailand and he had no ties whatsoever to that country.

I would get the labor card thing straightened out and not worry about the 500!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Not sure they would have that much sympathy that you don't have a "home" to be deported to if your passport is not UAE.

I read not long ago of a person born here being deported to Thailand and he had no ties whatsoever to that country.

I would get the labor card thing straightened out and not worry about the 500!
but my question is... the deporting thing is for people who come on visit visas/tourist visas and then work here n not get labor card probably those people would get deported... but im a resident here for 22 years is it really a rule that people like me would also get deported??

because now im kind of confused in what trouble i would be getting into if my company keeps saying its in process for the past 2 n half year..?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Mo0nStaR21 said:
but my question is... the deporting thing is for people who come on visit visas/tourist visas and then work here n not get labor card probably those people would get deported... but im a resident here for 22 years is it really a rule that people like me would also get deported??

because now im kind of confused in what trouble i would be getting into if my company keeps saying its in process for the past 2 n half year..?
It is the company's fault but it is likely you could also be penalized. Until now, you have viewed the fact that you don't have a labour card as being quite amusing. That can clearly be seen from reading your earlier posts. You clearly knew about it and didn't actively follow it up. Even when you did, you have no proof - i.e., written record, which would at least give your case some substance. Look, you are going on holiday. Take time to think about whether or not you want to stay with the company and pursue the path you make the decision on. If you decide to stay, then push the company to get your labour card. Be active and keep a record. If you don't want to stay, then find another job. You may not find that so easy at the moment and that could also make the decision for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It is the company's fault but it is likely you could also be penalized. Until now, you have viewed the fact that you don't have a labour card as being quite amusing. That can clearly be seen from reading your earlier posts. You clearly knew about it and didn't actively follow it up. Even when you did, you have no proof - i.e., written record, which would at least give your case some substance. Look, you are going on holiday. Take time to think about whether or not you want to stay with the company and pursue the path you make the decision on. If you decide to stay, then push the company to get your labour card. Be active and keep a record. If you don't want to stay, then find another job. You may not find that so easy at the moment and that could also make the decision for you.
its not a matter of finding it amusing. while i have provided all documents and followed up for a whole year about it... i dont think its fair to say im finding it amusing because if they want to end up giving me a labor card dated today its like im a new employee whereas its only 6 more months and technically i finish 3 years in this place. so even if it were you im sure you'd not be too excited to get a laborcard dated today and throw 2.5years of your experience and rights down the drain..

considering looking for a new job..thanks :)

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
Since you dont technically work for them, you have no rights. You are lucky they even gave you a leave and any funds. They are just using a backdoor like many of the companies here do. They have to pay for visas, and with you, they are not having to. Because you allowed it to continue, they dont feel like they have to do anything. I would be surprised if you demanded it at this point, they would even do it.

Stay with them or leave, your experience is what matters for your next position/job. Time in position per the uae government doesnt matter, as you are not from here so have no rights to retire based on time worked. And something tells me... that will NEVER change. If you like the position, try to ask for a labour card. But 2 1/2 years, might be time for a new position ;) Good luck!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Mo0nStaR21 said:
its not a matter of finding it amusing. while i have provided all documents and followed up for a whole year about it... i dont think its fair to say im finding it amusing because if they want to end up giving me a labor card dated today its like im a new employee whereas its only 6 more months and technically i finish 3 years in this place. so even if it were you im sure you'd not be too excited to get a laborcard dated today and throw 2.5years of your experience and rights down the drain..

considering looking for a new job..thanks :)
If you read back on your posts, it doesn't really come across that you were taking this very seriously. I don't think any of us think this is fair. Anyway, what's done is done. I really hope you find a new and much better job and I sincerely hope you are paid your end of term benefits when you do. Have a great holiday and good luck with the job hunting when you come back.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.