Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good news for France as she will work with Macron.
This is my problem. France is often seen as Germany's poodle. I also don't like how they like to club together and dictate European policy and 'vision' if you like.

I like Angela Merkel a lot I think she a really nice person but it would have been nice to see someone fresh and new. She does see herself as the queen of Europe and that is not good. She likes to speak on behalf of everyone living in Europe and someone needs to remind her that she doesn't.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
A right wing, Nationalist Party having any power in Germany has never been good for Europe most especially France. Germans are very inward looking and vote for what is good for them and not elsewhere. There is unrest in the east where most of the right wing voters are.

I do not like Mrs Merkel or any politician. We were both born on the same date 17 July, so I have followed her career for years. I just hope she has the strength and power to keep the spinning plates going.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sorry, but she does & Germany finally rules Europe - even if it took 50+ years..

The thing is that the French (especially the younger generation) are in love with Germany...regardless of their history. As far as the French are concerned Germans are the kings. The French are literally besotted by them. But the Germans know that and take advantage. I have seen it. The French just bow down to them. They even allowed to drive as fast as they like on French Motorways. I can't say anything against the Germans in my house. :frusty:

Yet, this is the funny thing. Everywhere I go in France I see union jacks on clothing, satchels, cars, homeware, duvets, pictures of London in decoration shops etc. Everywhere you go there is a union jack on something. Also lot of advertising in France is now in English.

But when was the last time you saw a German flag on something for 'marketing' purposes. When was the last time you saw German words used in French advertising ? But still the les Anglais' are not as respected in France as the Germans.

I'm a bit lost with this European thing.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
3 times if you count the Franco Prussian war of 1860 something. This significant war did not find its way into my history books at school.

Funny old world.

DejW

Is not that normal??? 2 times I can recall them doing it.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Well, the political scene for Merkel has changed significantly and nothing is a given. She needs to form a new coalition. With whom? Jamaica? Well, that's possibly the only real alternative, which might not be such a bad thing for France, but not so much for Macron. It will be a while before she can establish new partnerships (because in Germany they will be very detailed), so even longer until we know how this will pan out.

Why do you think she's not jumping for joy, or did you all think it was only because the German far right now has a voice in their assembly?

What's interesting, though, is the way the French media in recent days has picked up on all the issues with the German economy and its negative impacts on so many of the German people. Finally they're not just looking at the official employment figures and debt to GDP. Finally they are beginning to realise that trickle down is far from all it's cracked up to be.

Interesting times ahead.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting times ahead.
Unstable America

Unstable Germany

Unstable UK

France is striking....again..

North Korea whats too blow up the planet.

The middle East will continue to blow itself apart

Putin....not sure what he wants exactly.

We buy all our [email protected] off China and they spend all their profits on their military and buying up businesses in Europe.

What are you going on about EH ? :D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The thing is that the French (especially the younger generation) are in love with Germany...regardless of their history. As far as the French are concerned Germans are the kings. The French are literally besotted by them. But the Germans know that and take advantage. I have seen it. The French just bow down to them. They even allowed to drive as fast as they like on French Motorways. I can't say anything against the Germans in my house. :frusty:

Yet, this is the funny thing. Everywhere I go in France I see union jacks on clothing, satchels, cars, homeware, duvets, pictures of London in decoration shops etc. Everywhere you go there is a union jack on something. Also lot of advertising in France is now in English.

But when was the last time you saw a German flag on something for 'marketing' purposes. When was the last time you saw German words used in French advertising ? But still the les Anglais' are not as respected in France as the Germans.

I'm a bit lost with this European thing.
The young more so nowadays, live in the present. They do not look at the past or the future. They really have very little say in politics or in their own lives. In Germany and France the truth about what happened in WW2 has been hidden out of guilt by the older generation and it is a no, no, to discuss, let alone them understand. All the young in Germany and in the role of the French with Jewish people is to know is the shame of the past and a fear of the far right. As to the UK, France has lost a generation of its youth who have been ignored and gone to the UK for a better life.

All the popular media I see here is full of US celebrities, European royalty and flaming Jonny Halliday. The young in France have to look outside France for ideas and role models. From what I have experienced of German youth they have some very good inspirational ideals.

No German influence here with the exception of the huge new Mercedes dealership I get me car serviced it is thriving and they are expanding.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The young more so nowadays, live in the present. They do not look at the past or the future. They really have very little say in politics or in their own lives. In Germany and France the truth about what happened in WW2 has been hidden out of guilt by the older generation and it is a no, no, to discuss, let alone them understand. All the young in Germany and in the role of the French with Jewish people is to know is the shame of the past and a fear of the far right. As to the UK, France has lost a generation of its youth who have been ignored and gone to the UK for a better life.

All the popular media I see here is full of US celebrities, European royalty and flaming Jonny Halliday. The young in France have to look outside France for ideas and role models. From what I have experienced of German youth they have some very good inspirational ideals.
Just for you Isualt, I quizzed the kids about a 'role model' in France. Someone they look up to, respect etc.....and they could not name one. And lets be clear, they as French as you can get. :confused: Blimey, I could name more. So you are right, kids in France don't generally have French celebs to look up to. Which is quite scary.

We settled on Marie Antoinette :)

So who do German kids look up to. David Hasselhoff ????:D Please don't tell me it is still David Hasselhoff :rolleyes:

Now, who invaded France in WW2. Was it the Nazis or the Germans ? My OH says it was the Nazis but I say it was the Germans. Who is right ?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Just for you Isualt, I quizzed the kids about a 'role model' in France. Someone they look up to, respect etc.....and they could not name one. And lets be clear, they as French as you can get. :confused: Blimey, I could name more. So you are right, kids in France don't generally have French celebs to look up to. Which is quite scary.

We settled on Marie Antoinette :)

So who do German kids look up to. David Hasselhoff ????:D Please don't tell me it is still David Hasselhoff :rolleyes:

Now, who invaded France in WW2. Was it the Nazis or the Germans ? My OH says it was the Nazis but I say it was the Germans. Who is right ?

Oh David is still really big in Germany. As a thank you a few years ago I sent a pair of tickets for his concert in Germany to a German company as a thank you. The boss rang me and said there was a near riot over who got them. The average age of his staff in that department was 24.

It was Germans who invaded France in both wars. In WW2 they supported Hitler and his Nazi Party. Too much heads in sand in France regarding French history after the Louis “golden era”.

Good thing to come out of it all, most of mainland Europe youth are a gentler not so easily fooled or lead generation.

Going a bit off track, I have been at a loss to understand the “outrage” in the US over the black footballers not standing to the national anthem. Bowing to a royal person, flags and songs to me is control.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You do not have a Lidl????
Oh there is one on the way to the garage, car park always has about three cars. There is more to Germany than cheap food. The fact the French are buying their expensive cars says more. Maybe sinking in debt.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts