1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm very unfortunate to have an Andorran Drivers
License which is currently not accepted in Dubai
to be transfered into an Emirate License.

However, I orginaly passed my Drivers License
in the UK and have been forced to exchange that for
an Andorran License.

Is there any way I could convince the RTA to ignore
my Andorran License and explain that originally
that License is actually based upon my British one?

I'd have to get the DVLA to send me some type of
pass certificate maybe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You cant exchange a UK Licence to Emirate License unless you are a British Citizen. I am afraid you have to pass the test here to get Emirate License

·
Registered
279 Posts
You cant exchange a UK Licence to Emirate License unless you are a British Citizen. I am afraid you have to pass the test here to get Emirate License
Not quite. That is the policy for Dubai. Other Emirates may (and some do) have different regulations.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Not quite. That is the policy for Dubai. Other Emirates may (and some do) have different regulations.
Actually, there are no longer different licenses for each Emirate. It's now a UAE license, however, I'm not sure whether it has to be issued in the same Emirate your visa is issued in.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Actually, there are no longer different licenses for each Emirate. It's now a UAE license, however, I'm not sure whether it has to be issued in the same Emirate your visa is issued in.
The license is the same, but the issuing authority is different in different Emirates. In Dubai it is the RTA, in Ras Al Khaimah it is the RAK Police, etc..

Each issuing authority is free to set its own policy on how to issue or exchange licenses. So the policies that apply for an exchange in one Emirate do not always hold true in another Emirate.

The license has to be issued wherever your visa is issued, unless you can demonstrate that you are assigned to a registered branch office and maintaining residence in another Emirate.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
That's quite correct. I have...

British Passport
French License
Abu Dhabi Residence

Exchange took place in Abu Dhabi - easiest exchange I have ever experienced in all my travels.

Reactions: sm105
1 - 8 of 8 Posts