Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this morning I was coming towards the second round about comming out of AR ...

As always looking about for even more examples over here of stupidity that never cease to amaize (even after all these years .... )

At the last minute, along came old mate from the direction of the Emirates Rd at an absolute stupid rate of knotts .... during which time I had started to cross the intersection only to realize this Di*k Head was not going to stop .... And at about this time so did he .... finally hitting the chocks ...

Unbeknown to me until this point, there was a little unbuckeled child standing on the front seat ...

With even more zest I avoided all, but at about this point the poor little fella smacked the dash board !

What price on the absolute stupidity of those ******s that don't bother to buckle up their mose precious!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Prob got home and laughed about it wasnt their sons time to go and just being a bit of a bruise, and learned nothing from it!!!

Is this an arabic, muslim, emirati thing or ?? I am just a dumb untraveled american so I dont know if no seat belts is a norm in other countries. It makes no sense to me why people are so hard headed not to put their kids in their seat belts! I put my dog in a seat belt...

·
Registered
264 Posts
My Emirati friends get quite upset when I put my belt on - "Don't you trust my driving?". In the UK it's the law is my usual response but the 180kph in thick fog is the usual reason! Cultural thing I guess, we have become so used to it at home that it seems odd not to wear one whearas here it is the other way around...

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Prob got home and laughed about it wasnt their sons time to go and just being a bit of a bruise, and learned nothing from it!!!

Is this an arabic, muslim, emirati thing or ?? I am just a dumb untraveled american so I dont know if no seat belts is a norm in other countries. It makes no sense to me why people are so hard headed not to put their kids in their seat belts! I put my dog in a seat belt...
No it isn't just an arabic, muslim, emirati thing . The Cypriots are exactly the same and it infuriates me. Their children will be climbing around the car untethered while the parents are driving while texting on their mobiles phones.
I saw a car at an accident repair place with a perfect shape of a childs head in the centre of the windscreen. I very doubt that the child lived with a smashed skull.
Mind you the Cypriots have a lot of arab blood in them so maybe it IS an arabic thing:rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,690 Posts
Get over it, people are total dicks the world over..

However, when i was a kid i used to stand between the front seats watching what was happening, I'm still here.

The point is, education, my parents didn't think anything of it, maybe that happens here too...

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Andy, can we get a toned down version of you a bit.. just a bit. I dont mind, but it seems you rub a few a bit wrong.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
well..... the driving in the Indian sub-continent is horrible too but much slower

Seat belts are compulsory only in the bigger cities and only for the front seats. There are no rules regarding where the child should be seated. There is no concept of child seats as far as I know - you might not even get one in India except in the biggest cities.
However, one must bear in mind that a car without seat belts is still a lot safer than a family of 4 travelling on a two wheeler with no helmets on (generally only the driver of the two wheeler is required to wear a helmet by law). Yes, poverty and affordabilty have a lot to do with the concept of safety

So when the same drivers drive here, obviously they'll have no concept of things like where a child should sit etc etc

This is as far as the Indian sub-continent is concerned. Can't comment on why drivers from the other regions act the way they do

PS: Hopefully my english will pass the high standards set by some of the posters in the forum

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well..... the driving in the Indian sub-continent is horrible too but much slower

Seat belts are compulsory only in the bigger cities and only for the front seats. There are no rules regarding where the child should be seated. There is no concept of child seats as far as I know - you might not even get one in India except in the biggest cities.
However, one must bear in mind that a car without seat belts is still a lot safer than a family of 4 travelling on a two wheeler with no helmets on (generally only the driver of the two wheeler is required to wear a helmet by law). Yes, poverty and affordabilty have a lot to do with the concept of safety

So when the same drivers drive here, obviously they'll have no concept of things like where a child should sit etc etc

This is as far as the Indian sub-continent is concerned. Can't comment on why drivers from the other regions act the way they do

PS: Hopefully my english will pass the high standards set by some of the posters in the forum
Well to me Rsinner, your English is just fine, irrespective of the toffiness and self indulgent richesness of some ...

Bottom line is .... if you get a licence here in the UAE, its a requirement to wear a seat belt for any age, same as sensible driving and "using your blinker" but those too almost always seem to go by the way side.

If you are not going to abide by the driving code, then don't drive here, irrespective of your country of origin ... no excuses accepted! .....

A driving licence is a privelage not a right as is always quoted !!

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Get over it, people are total dicks the world over..

However, when i was a kid i used to stand between the front seats watching what was happening, I'm still here.

The point is, education, my parents didn't think anything of it, maybe that happens here too...
Ibet at some point you smacked your head on the dashboard. That explains the obvious brain damage which affects your moods:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
ibet at some point you smacked your head on the dashboard. That explains the obvious brain damage which affects your moods:d:d:d:d
roflmao

·
Banned
598 Posts
And he says I need pills!

·
Banned
1,220 Posts

how rediculous it sounds - muslim thing... since when driving is linked to religion???

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
In Russia seat belt is not compulsory, but there is a rare chance to see standing kid on the high way, here in UAE this thing really piss me off and nothing to do with nationality, there are lots of arabs, indians and pakistanis putting their kids in danger.
I hate it, it's heart breaking, indeed...

·
Registered
167 Posts
In Russia seat belt is not compulsory, but there is a rare chance to see standing kid on the high way, here in UAE this thing really piss me off and nothing to do with nationality, there are lots of arabs, indians and pakistanis putting their kids in danger.
I agree with Ella. It is not to do with nationality, it is educating drivers about the consequences of their actions.
It is heartbreaking, and the the ones who suffer are the young children because they have parents that are ignorant of basic driving rules.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In Communist Russia... Seatbelt wears YOU!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts

Driving without a seatbelt being a muslim thing, makes about as much sense as saying Driving whilst under the influence of alcohol is an English or American thing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.