Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon on a soggy day in Paris (the water on the roof with the window open is so tranquil),

I've had my OFII appointment which lasted an hour, of which 40 minutes was waiting time. So now I would like some things confirmed please (as near as official stuff in France can be confirmed).

Now that my passport is stamped, is my visa known only as a 'visa long séjour visiteur'?

Is the next step, if I want to live here after 12 months, to apply two months before my visa ends, for a temporary (year) residence permit (Carte de Séjour temporaire) Is this a visa or not?

Or could I instead apply for Resident permit (Carte de Résident) valid for ten years?

Does a Carte de Sejour allow me to work? Do I have the same tax and health status as a French citizen?

Finally, what is a 'Titre de sejour'? Where does that fit into the picture?

Thank you for clarifying the above:)

·
Administrator
50,465 Posts
Now that my passport is stamped, is my visa known only as a 'visa long séjour visiteur'?
No, your visa is now considered a "titre de séjour" - which is a type of residence permit.

Is the next step, if I want to live here after 12 months, to apply two months before my visa ends, for a temporary (year) residence permit (Carte de Séjour temporaire) Is this a visa or not?
A visa only permits you to enter France with the intention of staying for the long term. You will apply to renew your titre de séjour (your residence permit) at the end of the year. At that point you will get a carte de séjour (which is nothing but a titre de séjour or residence permit in the form of a card).

Or could I instead apply for Resident permit (Carte de Résident) valid for ten years?
Only after 3 years or so of living in France and renewing your carte de séjour annually. (Unless they change the terms again.) A carte de résident is nothing but a long-term residence permit, or rather a long-term carte de séjour. There are some requirements (at the moment) above and beyond 4 or 5 years of residence, including demonstrating your knowledge of French at a B2 level (I think it is) and a certain level of "integration" (the definition of which changes over time). Have a look here: Première demande de carte de résident ou de "résident longue durée - UE" - Service-public.fr

Does a Carte de Sejour allow me to work? Do I have the same tax and health status as a French citizen?
Depends on what sort of carte de séjour you have (which depends on what sort of visa you entered France on). On a visitor visa/carte de séjour, no. On a student visa/carte de séjour, part-time only. If you entered on a work visa (that your employer got for you) then yes, as long as you're working for the same employer that got you your visa.

On any sort of titre de séjour, you're entitled to pay taxes like anyone else resident in France. But your health care coverage is dependent on your having contributed to the system here - usually through your employment. Renewing your carte de séjour will require you to show private health care coverage if you had to show health cover in order to get your visa.

Finally, what is a 'Titre de sejour'? Where does that fit into the picture?
I think I explained that above.

I'm guessing that you're on a visitor visa/carte de séjour if your OFII appointment only lasted an hour and you didn't have to do a medical exam and/or contract of integration. It's not impossible to switch to a work visa, but you'll have to find an employer who can get authorization to hire a foreigner before you can switch your status.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks so much for replying in such depth Bev.

Re the medical exam, in my OFII appointment I had both an eye exam and a tuberculosis X-ray plus a lovely chat with the doctor about how a positive mental attitude with my disability beats having a perfectly functioning body and a crap attitude to life lol I was given a medical certificate.

Yes all that in 20 minutes - one of the many positives of using a wheelchair is getting given priority in situations such as that one:)

I entered on a long stay (4-12 months) visa.

·
Administrator
50,465 Posts
Long stay, yes - but "visiteur" or something else? That seems to be the key point.

If it's a visiteur visa, then you can stay as long as you maintain your source of income and health insurance each time you go to renew your residence permit. If you want to work, you'll have to find an employer who can sponsor you (and get the requisite authorization to hire a foreigner).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Hi SandyB

Can't help with the details, but I would have thought you have earned a bottle of champagne for getting this far?

DejW

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hi Sandra
As I recall, you were wanting to set up as an AE. Not sure that Bev's response covers that - and I unfortunately can't advise, however am wondering how you went with the registration process. Am also wondering whether the activity/ies that you wanted to register are what provides your revenue whilst you are here - if so, I believe it is definitely worthy of further investigation.
Cheers

·
Administrator
50,465 Posts
Hi Sandra
As I recall, you were wanting to set up as an AE. Not sure that Bev's response covers that - and I unfortunately can't advise, however am wondering how you went with the registration process. Am also wondering whether the activity/ies that you wanted to register are what provides your revenue whilst you are here - if so, I believe it is definitely worthy of further investigation.
Cheers
The AE throws a whole new level of :noidea: into the mix. Technically speaking, you can set up an AE while on a visitor visa (or at least you could a couple years ago when I asked the question on the AE portal site). No one, however, seems to be real certain about how that affects your carte de séjour renewal - and I suppose it could vary from one prefecture to the next. Playing by the rules, to renew a visitor titre de séjour, you have to demonstrate that you have the same funding and a private health insurance to cover you and some prefectures may take that more literally than others. Whether the prefecture would allow you to change status based on being an AE is the other key question.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Long stay, yes - but "visiteur" or something else? That seems to be the key point.

If it's a visiteur visa, then you can stay as long as you maintain your source of income and health insurance each time you go to renew your residence permit. If you want to work, you'll have to find an employer who can sponsor you (and get the requisite authorization to hire a foreigner).
Cheers,
Bev
Visiteur - oui:) Source of income - savings (can't take it to the grave), insurance - thanks to your advice months ago, no problem getting that. As for being employed by someone else - no way hozay. Done that before and I prefer to work for myself:)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi SandyB

Can't help with the details, but I would have thought you have earned a bottle of champagne for getting this far?

DejW
I agree:) It's been a very challenging few months that's for sure but I think because I'm a writer I can put it on paper and see the reality is not so bad. Plus I had champagne and oysters the other day at a cafe looking down a Paris street and I thought 'This is worth the effort'.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Sandra
Cheers
I'm still deciding my options here. I have an amazing French tutor who has also become my amazing Paris font of knowledge. I'll have to figure out which path to take soon though if only to feel a stronger sense of permanency. As for revenue - that is currently my savings:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts