Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if anyone knows if i would be eligible for an ancestry visa or some sort of visa.

My mother's mother was born in London. She grew up in wales and in her 20's migrated to the US.

After my mother's birth she became a US citizen and at the time had to forfeit her UK citizen.

I am a US citizen, currently (temporary) resident in Australia (applying for Skilled Graduate Visa). Have lived here for a total of 5 out of the last 7 years (on student visas and now a bridge).

If I were to get Aus. Residency (i'm working on it), would I at some point be eligible for a more permanent visa in the UK?

·
Registered
39,032 Posts
I'm just wondering if anyone knows if i would be eligible for an ancestry visa or some sort of visa.

My mother's mother was born in London. She grew up in wales and in her 20's migrated to the US.

After my mother's birth she became a US citizen and at the time had to forfeit her UK citizen.

I am a US citizen, currently (temporary) resident in Australia (applying for Skilled Graduate Visa). Have lived here for a total of 5 out of the last 7 years (on student visas and now a bridge).

If I were to get Aus. Residency (i'm working on it), would I at some point be eligible for a more permanent visa in the UK?
Unless you obtain Australian citizenship, you won't be eligible for an ancestry visa as it's only available to Commonwealth citizens.
So unless you become naturalised, ancestry visa route is out. Your chance of living and working long-term in UK includes qualifying for work visa, either through Highly Skilled route (Tier 1 General), visa sponsorship, or marriage or partnership to a UK or other EEA/Swiss national.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.