Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada and thinking of going to the UK for a year. I would like to be able to work when I get there, but the govt immigration sites are dense and confusing.....
The situation is that my wife is a teacher and has the opportuity to do an exchange with UK teachers. It's one of those arrangements where you swap jobs, houses, lives for 12 months. I'm in self employed sales, so it is not so difficult to leave for a year.
My mother, still alive, was born and raised in Scotland and came here as a war bride. She is now a CDN citizen.
I looked at getting an Ancestry Visa for the UK, but the sites speak of those with grandparents from the UK. While my mothers parents are British, is the more direct link acceptable too?
Is this the right class of visa to apply for?
Am I on the right forum for this question?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I think you can even become British citizen by descent from your mother. Did she give up her British nationality when she was naturalised as Canadian? If she had retained her British citizenship when you were born, you can be registered as British and be entitled to British passport. Or if you were born on or after 1st January 1983, you are automatically British and can just apply for British passport. I think prior to 1977, dual nationality wasn't allowed and you had to give up existing citizenship on being naturalised as Canadian. While your mother can reclaim her British nationality, it won't be retrospective so won't give you citizenship by descent.

If she had lost British citizenship, you can still apply for ancestry visa through your British grandparent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you are under thirty, just get a working holiday visa. very simple and easy to get.
you can get a british passport through your mom very easily. far easier then the ancestry visa ...

laura

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
OP is unlikely to be under 31 as his mother came as war bride, who must have be at least around 20 just after the war (born in mid 1920s) so must be in her 60s when he was born.
Also this is an old thread from 6 months ago. Unless he was adopted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.