Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gathering my documentation to apply for a UK ancestry visa. Both of my Mother's parents are from the UK and I was planning to use my grandmother to apply for it.

She was born in Scotland in the early 1900's and we have an "Extract of an entry in a register of births..." issued in the early 60's showing her birth information and an embossed seal.

Does anyone have any experience in this area that can advise whether this satisfies the requirements for a "birth certificate" when applying for the UK ancestry visa? Many thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi there,

I've just gone through the whole ancestry visa process and had mine issued with no problems. I just looked at the copy of my grandfather's birth certificate from Scotland, and his says the same thing at the top... "Extract of an entry from the Register of Births in Scotland." I had looked it up online and ordered the copy in March.

Does it have a seal on it in one corner? One that is raised that you can feel, and not just a photocopy of the page? If it has the raised stamp on it then that should be perfectly fine to submit as it's what I had.

Edit: Just noticed you said it has the embossed seal on it! That should be perfectly fine to submit, but you would have to submit that exact one, and not a copy of one where you can't feel the seal (I think!)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mother's birth certificate middle name misspelled. Automatic reject?

I am in the process of getting ready to apply for my UK ancestry visa and will be using my mother's parents for this process.

I have all the necessary documentation but there is a potential showstopper at this point. My mother's birth certificate has a misspelling of the first letter of her middle name. It is correct on all her identification (driver's license, SIN, health, wedding certificate, etc) but for some reason when it was reissued back about 2001 it had this misspelling of her middle name but she never noticed until we started gathering these documents for apply for my visa.

I have contact the provincial government responsible for birth certificates and they said that have her on record as the incorrect spelling so they cannot simply adjust it and we must apply to have her name legally changed. :( To do this, I am told, will take 2-3 months which completely throws off my timeline as I am required by my employer to be in the UK in September/October.

My question is, is there any point in me even trying to apply for my UK ancestry visa with my Mother's birth certificate in it's current state with her middle name misspelled and not matching the spelling on my birth certificate showing her as my mother? Will providing her other official documents (SIN, health, driver's license, etc) be of any use for this?

Appreciate any advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Your mother should take her documents including her birth certificate to a lawyer and make a sworn statement that all relate to the same person, and attach the statement (notarised by lawyer) to your application.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is some great advice right there. I thank you kind sir!

When submitting do you think it would be sufficient to just have her birth certificate with the signed and notarized statement or should I also be including other identification of my Mother's (driver's license, SIN, health, etc)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.