Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My partner and I plan to move to London in 2014. I hope to win a spot in a Masters course there, he hopes to find work in the film and television industry. I will apply for a British passport through my British/NZ citizen mother. He will apply for an ancestry visa through his British grandparents.

I just wondered if anyone with knowledge about expat life in Britain can help us to understand what we may or may not be entitled to.

1) I am saving every dollar I have to afford to do my Masters in the UK, but if it's possible to claim a housing allowance, that would be enormously helpful. Any idea if I would pass the habitual residence test having only just moved from NZ? The plan is to live and work in the UK after my studies, although I have no way of proving this.

2) As a soon-to-be British citizen, will I need any kind of travel/health insurance? I don't have any such thing in NZ at present, but am guessing that being a British passport holder, I will automatically have access to healthcare in the UK?

3) Regarding insurance ... what should my partner do? He will be on an ancestry visa: what is available to him re, NHS entitlements? And what kind of insurance will he need/can he get? Just standard travel insurance for an extended period?

Any thoughts you have about the above would be much appreciated!
Many thanks,
Rebecca.

G

·
Higher education students are not entitled to benefits regardless of habitual residence, including housing payments because you are obviously not available for work.

There is no student finance aka fee & living costs loans for MA level education and if there was you wouldnt qualify as you need 3 years residence immediately prior to starting.

Your partner wouldnt qualify regardless due to visa status. You both can access NHS.

ETA you know you will have to pay international fee rates at university too due to non UK residence prior to studying?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks shel, very helpful.

Yes, I know there will be international fees ... I hope to get a scholarship, fingers crossed.

The only thing I'm still unsure of is the best way to be insured as a kiwi (ancestry visa) in the UK?

G

·
It was my understanding that he would just need travel insurance to cover the trip and luggage.

Once resident in the UK he will get NHS services which you dont apply for or wait for registration as you would in say Australia. You just go register with a GP when you need one and will be issued with an NHS no which you dont get or need, its more for the NHS to link and trace you through different NHS services.

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
Yes, just to reiterate what has been said.
You as student won't get housing benefit, unless you are disabled, but full-time students are exempt from council tax, so you will get 25% off as a single-person household. As ancestry visa holder, your husband can't access public funds.
As stated, you will both be eligible for NHS service. Provided he is in work, he should be able to get hospital treatment even during the first year, which is otherwise restricted. The only other kinds of insurance you need include home (for contents only if renting), travel (mainly for trips outside of UK) and it's prudent to make some kind of life assurance provision. You may always have one from NZ, but check if it still covers you now that you are leaving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.