Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are all bombarded with nonsense and superlatives on posters, TV and radio..
Much of this is clearly written by Primary School children!

I'll start this off...

Dubai International Motor Show radio ad..
"...millions of dirhams of priceless cars...."

written, proof-read, recorded and paid for.
Does no one pick up the nonsense?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Not copy, but an entire advertising idea - the bigger your waistline, the bigger the discount you get! Epic advertising fail!

FYI, I can't tell you how many times I've rewritten scripts before voicing them, but sometimes the clients (who usually write it and the majority of the time, aren't native english speakers) won't be budged.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Alex...Present
Emma...Present
some other random name...Present
Ok then...Let's get ready to Brunch Brunch Brunch!!!!

Who the f*ck talks to their friends like this?? Ugh......every time I heard this one it made me want to poke a screwdriver into my ear!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Alex...Present
Emma...Present
some other random name...Present
Ok then...Let's get ready to Brunch Brunch Brunch!!!!

Who the f*ck talks to their friends like this?? Ugh......every time I heard this one it made me want to poke a screwdriver into my ear!
Not just any screwdriver, a rusty Phillips head.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love the "The Road to the Olympics is on"...

a. what does that mean???
b. So by coming to run around Yas I will get into the Olympics?
c. How does that appeal to anyone?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Advert for toothpaste, seen all around Dubai above Gents' urinals:

Close Up Arabia for 3x Fresher Breath*
*Creative dramatization
So what does that mean then? Since when has breath freshness been quantifiable? And "creative dramatization" - WTF??
:confused:

·
Registered
387 Posts
And another: Etisalat (boo hiss).

Punctuating the nauseous, harmonic female voice selling all sorts of mobile phone BS plans which one must tolerate whilst holding, is the following phrase: "Dear Valued Customer, all of our agents are busy serving other customers..."

If we are so valued, then why the hell do you not employ an adequate number of call handlers?

Also, when my call to 101 eventually gets through and I can raise my query about my mobile phone account, the following reply "ok sir, I need to transfer you to the mobile department". So who the hell was I speaking to? Ahhh, the Blackberry department, who can do nothing other than arrange new plans for me. So I have to endure another 10 minutes of the same bl00dy nauseating siren... ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
If your average Dubai Marketing Manager keeps up with advertising trends at the same rate, we'll have Gangnam Style parodies to look forward to in 2015.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
where do they find the voice-over 'talent'?

There's an English bloke who seems to do about 50% of the radio ads.
his voice alone, with its odd emphasis and accentuation, is enough to put you off whatever tripe he's selling.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
where do they find the voice-over 'talent'?

There's an English bloke who seems to do about 50% of the radio ads.
his voice alone, with its odd emphasis and accentuation, is enough to put you off whatever tripe he's selling.
That's because he's a 'news reader' ahem!

·
Registered
580 Posts
where do they find the voice-over 'talent'? There's an English bloke who seems to do about 50% of the radio ads. his voice alone, with its odd emphasis and accentuation, is enough to put you off whatever tripe he's selling.
My peeve along those lines is the lady who does the welcome message on the bus if you fly FlyDubai. She sounds so pleased with herself it's nauseating.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Whenever I call Dubai Taxi and I am holding on to speak with an operator because my taxi hasn't turned up, I just LOVE hearing how many taxis they have! All I want is one....

1 - 20 of 216 Posts