Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I am trying to initiate process for applying for PR in Australia. I have done some homework on my own and know a few things, but still I have a few queries, so bear with me.

Points breakdown:
Qualification: 15
Language (IELTS=8 overall, Writing 7.5): 10
OVERALL POINTS: 55

As per my background, I have a Bachelors in Electronics Engineering (2013) and Masters in Industrial Engineering(2016). I will be getting married next month (JULY) and my wife is a social scientist. I do not have any strong relevant experience in my field except a few internships. Now I will list down my questions:

1) Skillselect result of 10th May, 2017 showed that 70 points were required for electronics engineer. Does this point requirement stay the same throughout the year or will it reset to 60 points after 1st July, 2017?

2) I am preparing my CDR, so can I portray myself as an Electrical Engineer rather than Electronic, as Electrical Engineering is not in pro rata poll and is set for 60 points fixed requirement. In other words, can EA asses my degree as Electrical Engineer? For my Career Episodes, I am including:
i) My Final year project of Bachelors degree
ii) My Masters Thesis
iii) A project I did during my internship

3) Can I get an additional 5 points for my wife's occupation as a social scientist. She has studied a number of courses and have some experience in social work (which is present in the required skills list). If yes, then does she have to get her degree assessment too? (I would be grateful if details are provided for this question)

4) At the moment, my overall IELTS band is 8, but 7.5 in writing. In order to gain extra 10 points, increasing my overall points to 65, should I give the PTE-A test rather than reappearing for IELTS? I have heard PTE-A test is easier.

5) Can I apply for visa subclass 190 for 5 additional points? If yes, then what is the procedure?

6) What are my chances to get the PR (according to your knowledge and assessment)

I would be grateful for your response. I am unable to gain any information on the posted queries and hoping for a full response here.

BR,

Jasim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dear All,

I am trying to initiate process for applying for PR in Australia. I have done some homework on my own and know a few things, but still I have a few queries, so bear with me.

Points breakdown:

As per my background, I have a Bachelors in Electronics Engineering (2013) and Masters in Industrial Engineering(2016). I will be getting married next month (JULY) and my wife is a social scientist. I do not have any strong relevant experience in my field except a few internships. Now I will list down my questions:

1) Skillselect result of 10th May, 2017 showed that 70 points were required for electronics engineer. Does this point requirement stay the same throughout the year or will it reset to 60 points after 1st July, 2017?

2) I am preparing my CDR, so can I portray myself as an Electrical Engineer rather than Electronic, as Electrical Engineering is not in pro rata poll and is set for 60 points fixed requirement. In other words, can EA asses my degree as Electrical Engineer? For my Career Episodes, I am including:
ii) My Masters Thesis

3) Can I get an additional 5 points for my wife's occupation as a social scientist. She has studied a number of courses and have some experience in social work (which is present in the required skills list). If yes, then does she have to get her degree assessment too? (I would be grateful if details are provided for this question)

4) At the moment, my overall IELTS band is 8, but 7.5 in writing. In order to gain extra 10 points, increasing my overall points to 65, should I give the PTE-A test rather than reappearing for IELTS? I have heard PTE-A test is easier.

5) Can I apply for visa subclass 190 for 5 additional points? If yes, then what is the procedure?

6) What are my chances to get the PR (according to your knowledge and assessment)

I would be grateful for your response. I am unable to gain any information on the posted queries and hoping for a full response here.

BR,

Jasim
Hi Jasim,
I will try to answer few of your questions here, based on my knowledge.
1) The higher the points you have the faster you will get an invitation to apply. So it’s in your best interest to maximise your points.
2) –
3) To get additional points based on your wife’s qualification and skills, you must also get a skills assessment done for her credentials.
4) I assume that you have at least 7 in each of the components of IELTS? If so, you will earn 10 additional points. So I don’t think you need to re-take IELTS or PTE.
5) On 190 visa you must work in regional Australia for at least the first 2 years, after arriving in Australia. You can get more information on the web, about the cities which come under regional Australia. You will get additional 5 points for 190visa. All other features of this visa are same as that of a 180 visa.
6) You have good chances of getting a PR.

Best wishes

·
Registered
23,885 Posts
Hi Jasim,
I will try to answer few of your questions here, based on my knowledge.
1) The higher the points you have the faster you will get an invitation to apply. So it’s in your best interest to maximise your points.
2) –
3) To get additional points based on your wife’s qualification and skills, you must also get a skills assessment done for her credentials.
4) I assume that you have at least 7 in each of the components of IELTS? If so, you will earn 10 additional points. So I don’t think you need to re-take IELTS or PTE.
5) On 190 visa you must work in regional Australia for at least the first 2 years, after arriving in Australia. You can get more information on the web, about the cities which come under regional Australia. You will get additional 5 points for 190visa. All other features of this visa are same as that of a 180 visa.
6) You have good chances of getting a PR.

Best wishes
Its a good thing that you are trying to help the other members but you are confusing the visas and giving wrong information in the process

5. Visa 190 requires that you work for 2 years in the state that sponsors you and not in Regional Australia.

Please be careful on what you advise

Cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dear All,

Points breakdown:

ii) My Masters Thesis

BR,

Jasim

Hi, I have also done Electronics & Communication in 2011 and not having relevant experience in my field.

1: It will definitely come to 60 points once the higher points applications will reduce. At present this is at 70 because the ceiling has reached its value.

2: NOT SURE

3: If your spouse occupation is on the occupational list and she would require skill assessment too and with 6 bands in each component.

4: PTE A: You are planning to get 20 points for language If am not wrong. Yes, it will increase your score to 65.

5: 190 is permanent visa which is the only condition is, you have to live in that state anywhere for initial 2 years not in the regional area and after this, you can move anywhere.

6: The chances of getting invitation for 60-65 for 189 and in 190 you should score atleast 60 +5 state points, then chances are much higher than as compare to 55+ 5 state points.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I have also done Electronics & Communication in 2011 and not having relevant experience in my field.

1: It will definitely come to 60 points once the higher points applications will reduce. At present this is at 70 because the ceiling has reached its value.

2: NOT SURE

3: If your spouse occupation is on the occupational list and she would require skill assessment too and with 6 bands in each component.

4: PTE A: You are planning to get 20 points for language If am not wrong. Yes, it will increase your score to 65.

5: 190 is permanent visa which is the only condition is, you have to live in that state anywhere for initial 2 years not in the regional area and after this, you can move anywhere.

6: The chances of getting invitation for 60-65 for 189 and in 190 you should score atleast 60 +5 state points, then chances are much higher than as compare to 55+ 5 state points.
Thanks for the reply,

A friend of mine suggested that it is hard to get visa 190 and mostly people are not called.
and also i have heard that electronics is in danger and maybe removed from the poll?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the reply,

A friend of mine suggested that it is hard to get visa 190 and mostly people are not called.
and also i have heard that electronics is in danger and maybe removed from the poll?
Yes, no doubt Electronics Engineer is in Flagged occupations. It means might be it can remove from new SOL. However, I have reviewed last 2 years back SOL's and it was also Flagged at that time. Therefore, there is no surety what would happen in July. The best thing we can do is wait till July and decide after that which occupation you should assess from skill authority.

190: Visa is not tough, but yes invitation takes time. My friend also moved last year Nov on 190 visa SA.

Reactions: jasim_humaiyun

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dear All,

Points breakdown:

ii) My Masters Thesis

BR,

Jasim
@Jasim, Try to get employer nomination. Nominated or sponsored EOIs stand better chance to get PR. Include your partner's qualification for adding points, while her skills too get assessed. Write detailed CDR with achievements, support with certificates, work experiences documents etc.

You have good chances of getting PR. I don't think you need to take PTE-A.

All the best,

Regards,
Amitava Deb

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, no doubt Electronics Engineer is in Flagged occupations. It means might be it can remove from new SOL. However, I have reviewed last 2 years back SOL's and it was also Flagged at that time. Therefore, there is no surety what would happen in July. The best thing we can do is wait till July and decide after that which occupation you should assess from skill authority.

190: Visa is not tough, but yes invitation takes time. My friend also moved last year Nov on 190 visa SA.
Thanks mate, cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its a good thing that you are trying to help the other members but you are confusing the visas and giving wrong information in the process

5. Visa 190 requires that you work for 2 years in the state that sponsors you and not in Regional Australia.

Please be careful on what you advise

Cheers
Hi,
Yes it should have been 2 years in the state that sponsors, instead of regional Australia.
My apologies.
Thanks for correcting me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts