Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! Any Americans out here in Dubai? Just wanted to know if there are any success stories for yall or any tips you have on landing a job here?:)Thank you! hope everyone is having a great day :usa2:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
i don't think there are any....

i haven't seen a massive 10 gallon hat, or clashing plaid golf clothing in restaurants for ages....

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are a good amount of Americans in Dubai, they might just not be on here in great numbers. There are also a handful of Americans in the other emirates (myself included). One just left my company here because she found it too hard and different to stay...poor thing only lasted a month.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
True, but bad teeth and long nose hair abound
bravo!
i was just trying to help the OP flush you guys out!

personally speaking, if 'nasal hair grooming' represents the nirvana of the 'American Dream', you can have it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are a good amount of Americans in Dubai, they might just not be on here in great numbers. There are also a handful of Americans in the other emirates (myself included). One just left my company here because she found it too hard and different to stay...poor thing only lasted a month.

which emirate are u staying? I really like it here and want to make something for myself.. its just hard to start. how do you like it here?

·
Registered
39 Posts
which emirate are u staying? I really like it here and want to make something for myself.. its just hard to start. how do you like it here?
Fujairah. I like it here a lot. It's quiet and small, not at all like AD or Dubai, but I like it. It's definitely worth it with a car since everyone else comes here on the weekend and we go to AD or Dubai on our weekends. The only hard part I found with starting here is waiting for everything to get processed and finalized. Besides that it's like pretty much anywhere else in the world in growing pains and getting to know an area. But I know that most Americans would prefer to live in Dubai or AD since they are much bigger and much more well established, so not too many of us live here, just stop to visit.

Edit: How about yourself?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ive been in Abu Dhabi since November staying with my family and studying college for a short time and it's not bad I like it everything is close to me walking distance to short trips and there's enough things to do around here just the driving is a bit different and head-tic at first but I got used to it

·
Registered
845 Posts
since this has become a chit chat thread i'm moving it to the sandpit. carry on!

Reactions: saraswat

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fujairah. I like it here a lot. It's quiet and small, not at all like AD or Dubai, but I like it. It's definitely worth it with a car since everyone else comes here on the weekend and we go to AD or Dubai on our weekends. The only hard part I found with starting here is waiting for everything to get processed and finalized. Besides that it's like pretty much anywhere else in the world in growing pains and getting to know an area. But I know that most Americans would prefer to live in Dubai or AD since they are much bigger and much more well established, so not too many of us live here, just stop to visit.

Edit: How about yourself?

Im in ajman. Fujairah looks nice tho. Looks like a beachy scene,sorta. Way better than ajman. I don't like here lol its a little too provincial for me. Not too much familiarity around. its so cheap here, that's the good things about it. But im praying to GOD I get a job offer in Dubai so i can get things going! Im glad things are well for u!

·
Registered
83 Posts
nah not really I'm currently looking for a part time job, but balancing my hours with school it was difficult since every interview I went they wanted a full time job also asked for too many days and hours I couldn't do it

but of course I first had to get my student visa in order to be able to apply for a job which took most of my time here I started school in July

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nah not really I'm currently looking for a part time job, but balancing my hours with school it was difficult since every interview I went they wanted a full time job also asked for too many days and hours I couldn't do it

but of course I first had to get my student visa in order to be able to apply for a job which took most of my time here I started school in July

ahhh at least you got some interviews. It killing me right now. It was never this hard for me at home. Im also gonna go to school here too. What school do you go to? Ive been looking at the American University in Dubai.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Some of us are also hiding behind other passports :eyebrows:

·
Registered
83 Posts
lol yeah I had to put that I have a living accommodation and a ride and that was the ticket and for me it's actually been the opposite back in the states I was stuck for a long time and here I got a few which gave me some hope just finding the right one

I got in to a small school named Al Khwarizmi International College it's pretty good so far way different but, I'm working on getting my associate degree in IT for my short time here then go back to the states for a university or maybe head to Dubai or somewhere here if I stay longer

1 - 20 of 79 Posts