Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Mine works well - I only have slingbox in the UK and no slingcatcher here - its all about your connection at home - I got a dedicated fibre op virgin 8mb line (don't try it through ADSL its crap unless youre lucky enough to live next door to the BT digital exchange in your area).

Here I can connect my lappy to the TV and it comes pretty good (im getting 500kb per sec reported on the bottom of the slingplayer software, and I only have a 1mb DU internet connection!!).

Slingplayer optimises the signal, so if you have a slower internet speed (up from UK/US and down from here) it reduces the quality of the feed so that it doesn't jerk/stop

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok, time for an update...I went home for a quick visit last week and reconfigured my slingbox and now it is working flawlessly here in Dubai.

I've got the slingbox hooked up to a tivo back in houston and a desktop with HDMI output hooked up to my lcd here, the picture quality isn't the best but it is light years better than watching what little is available here with all the arabic subtitles that I can't tollerate :rolleyes:

I didn't get a slingcatcher or the HD version but I might upgrade now that I know it works and get a slingcatcher for the bedroom tv

For anyone thinking about hooking up a slingbox it is well worth the effort, I'll never ever have to leave my apartment again at least until I can escape this awful place :D

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Actually no, the download speed in the states is 12mpbs and upload over 4 mbps, so thats not the issue. I say the quality is not so great here but its at least SD quality, and almost as good as what I get back home on SD channels, and again the best part is I don't pay a dime for it. Slingbox is hooked up at a friends house who pays the internet and cable already so that is free to me.

I'm sure that your service will work for those that are desperate, might have worked for me but the simple fact is for the quality I get here vs. the cost of what you are selling isn't worth it for me.

$0 x 12 months = $0

$150 x 12 = $1800

Anyhow, good luck with what you are selling.

Id like to add Longhorn the reason your picture quality isnt the best is simple...bandwidth from the sending unit which is probably a cable or dsl modem in Houston correct? They are usually OK for downloading but sending are usually capped at between 256K and 512K in the States. We guarantee bandwidth to the tune of 2Mbps to each and every standard resolution Customer...which is plenty for "near HD" HQ resolution...but you can opt for more. I would suggest not upgrading to the HD Slingbox until you are sure of the sending capacity of your modem in the States can handle over 2Mbps output streaming...which I doubt very seriously.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
OK, I was wrong, they have comcast and my friend just ran a speed test on speedtest.net and only got 14.2 mbps down and 2.1mbps up. like i said, slingbox works for me, and I'm sure your service is fantasitic and you will sell plenty subscriptions, just not to me.

Again, good luck. I wish you all the success and peace back at ya :)

What cable service do they have? Cox? Time Warner? I know for a fact that their basic cable/dsl uplink is capped at 512K. Your download speeds here should be fine...what do you have? Probably gigabit fiber if it's like the tower I stayed in Qatar. No, it's not on your end...your signal is degraded because your sharing bandwidth with your friend's Internet and TV.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for. Our service works anywhere in the world where our Customers have good download speeds because we guarantee the streaming uplink bandwidth at our professional NOC with a sophisticated bandwidth management system and Gigabit uplink.

Peace!

Ross

· Registered
21 Posts
10 Different Countries

I've posted before about the Internet streaming services of PC-Streaming.com - Your Streaming Headquarters From 9 Countries.
They do 9 different countries, UK, America, Canada, Germany etc. I'm using their UK VPN to watch `live´UK TV through Zattoo and tvcatchup. Very good quality it is.
As far as I'm aware their American VPN will let you acess hulu.com, a massive site with virtually everything American TV has to offer.
Their American SSH accounts gain access to Fox, abc, nbc, etc.
UK SSH accounts gain access to the BBC iplayer, `live´ BBC direct from bbc.co.uk, Channel 4 and 5 on-demand and also tvcatchup (18 `live´channels in total).
I'm about to finish my first years subscription and will have no hesitation in renewing.
I've hooked up my PC to the telly with a s-video out cable and enjoy a really good quality picture.
I highly recommend it.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I also use a vpn from gotrusted.com to watch Hulu or any of the other services in the US when I forget to DVR something, I think its $5.00 a month, works very well plus gets you access to all the blocked sites in the UAE. My only issue with this vpn is it doesn't work with vista 64-bit, only 32-bit which is a pain cause my desktop has the 64-bit version. But for watching Hulu on my laptop it works perfectly.

I've posted before about the Internet streaming services of PC-Streaming.com - Your Streaming Headquarters From 9 Countries.
They do 9 different countries, UK, America, Canada, Germany etc. I'm using their UK VPN to watch `live´UK TV through Zattoo and tvcatchup. Very good quality it is.
As far as I'm aware their American VPN will let you acess hulu.com, a massive site with virtually everything American TV has to offer.
Their American SSH accounts gain access to Fox, abc, nbc, etc.
UK SSH accounts gain access to the BBC iplayer, `live´ BBC direct from bbc.co.uk, Channel 4 and 5 on-demand and also tvcatchup (18 `live´channels in total).
I'm about to finish my first years subscription and will have no hesitation in renewing.
I've hooked up my PC to the telly with a s-video out cable and enjoy a really good quality picture.
I highly recommend it.

· Registered
21 Posts
I also use a vpn from gotrusted.com to watch Hulu or any of the other services in the US when I forget to DVR something, I think its $5.00 a month, works very well plus gets you access to all the blocked sites in the UAE. My only issue with this vpn is it doesn't work with vista 64-bit, only 32-bit which is a pain cause my desktop has the 64-bit version. But for watching Hulu on my laptop it works perfectly.
That's why pc-streaming.com is more expensive. Their VPN & SSH accounts do work on vista 64-bit and very reliably. I know that for a fact because that's what my operating system is.

· Registered
95 Posts
American TV

OK folks, serious question!

I am not the type to go out very often, I'm not a real social animal outside of work and for that matter I work a ton and intend on working even more in dubai since I will be single and have no friends...but when I get home what I do like to do is sit down and watch all my favorite shows, especially in the fall. I was just going through my tivo here and realized that I may be missing out on this modern day miracle once I settle in there.

So, how do those of you that are homebodies like me cope with the lack of good non-censored American TV in Dubai? Does anyone have a slingbox set up in the states and if so how well does it work? Are there other ways of getting major shows like Lost, Heros, Big Brother, House etc without paying an arm and a leg for it? And what about college football...any way to catch the games on Saturday or do I HAVE to learn to watch soccer...err football?

I really don't imagine I will mind the weather or the other little annoyances of day to day life there but I sure am going to miss my tv!

On a side note I am about a month from moving there and this is about the biggest concern I have....is that bad? :confused:

Go to xtvi dot com. You'll need to install some software but it won't take long to get it running. You can download American TV about a day after it airs.

· Registered
95 Posts
XTVi

Dude, thanks Vince!
The site is great.

Instead of sleeping last night, I caught up on Entourage and Californication.
You're welcome. If you get a notice threatening prosecution, you didn't hear about it from me. Can't really tell whether the site is legal or not.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.