Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like some advice. First, I have read previous posts about similar concerns but I feel the need to inquire about my situation to see if anyone can offer some advice:

- I am an American with about 10 years teaching (credential, full-time).
- My fiance is from Barcelona and we have decided to live there at her place.
- I am thinking of getting married over there.
- I am planning to ask for a Leave of Absence from my work here in the US. If granted, it will be good for one year. During that time, I intend on teaching English in BCN and hopefully work enough hours to stay.

What type of visa should I apply for? I have a feeling that the application process is all about timing my submissions and getting the correct visa.

Thanks for any advice,

- Frank

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you plan on teaching, you're going to have to apply for a visa that gives you permission to work. If you don't have a job lined up that is willing to sponsor you, it's going to be quite hard.

Here's more info about working: Páginas - Trabajar en España

In my experience, the easiest visa for you to get would be a student visa. It's going to be hard to live together in Spain if you're not married.

·
Administrator
36,511 Posts
Would like some advice. First, I have read previous posts about similar concerns but I feel the need to inquire about my situation to see if anyone can offer some advice:

- I am an American with about 10 years teaching (credential, full-time).
- My fiance is from Barcelona and we have decided to live there at her place.
- I am thinking of getting married over there.
- I am planning to ask for a Leave of Absence from my work here in the US. If granted, it will be good for one year. During that time, I intend on teaching English in BCN and hopefully work enough hours to stay.

What type of visa should I apply for? I have a feeling that the application process is all about timing my submissions and getting the correct visa.

Thanks for any advice,

- Frank
:welcome:

as far as I'm aware there isn't a specific visa for 'fiances' , so you'd be applying 'cold' as it were

Visas

if you want to work, you would need an employer to offer you a contracted job & they would have to prove that there is no EU citizen available for it

alternatively you could apply for a student visa which allows for I think 20 hours a week, but of course you would have to be registered on a recognised course - although I believe that in some circumstances these are granted for 'research' - I don't know if that might apply to you

you could look at something like this Teach English in Spain | Spain - but you might not end up in or anywhere near Barcelona

if you're planning on getting married anyway it would be easier to do so before you come - that makes things much easier

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice! My fiance and I will be getting married soon after I arrive in BCN. So, I might be in that 'no-man's land' of needing a job to get a Visa, and needing a Visa to get a job.

I am bilingual and have experience in teaching English to non-native speakers. I am currently looking at teaching positions through the internet and my fiance is doing what she can over there. I am sure this is a common dilemma.
Again, thanks for your feedback. I got lots of research to do ;)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Thanks for the advice! My fiance and I will be getting married soon after I arrive in BCN.
If she's willing why not get married before? Even if it's a civil service. You can always do it again for the family (or whatever the reason is for waiting) once you arrive.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi! I did not think that where our marriage will take place mattered much. Thanks for letting me know. I need to find more information about marriage and its role in the immigration/visa process.
Thanks!

·
Registered
212 Posts
You can get married after you arrive with your normal tourist visa. It is alot of paperwork here, but if you get married in the States you will need to get your Libro de Familia first before you can apply for residency here. The process in Spain can take longer than the 3 months allowed, but you will be fine. I did exactly that myself. However you can't work until you have the residency done. It took 7 months for me , start to finish.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
You can get married after you arrive with your normal tourist visa. It is alot of paperwork here, but if you get married in the States you will need to get your Libro de Familia first before you can apply for residency here. The process in Spain can take longer than the 3 months allowed, but you will be fine. I did exactly that myself. However you can't work until you have the residency done. It took 7 months for me , start to finish.
Why would any expat need a "Libro de Familia"? We live here and don't have one.

Also, I thought you could start work with just an NIE/DNI and then use your job to prove income for your residency.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The difference is the OP is American marrying a Spaniard, and a Libro de Familia is a requisite part of the paperwork for getting residency. You are speaking from your own experience as an EU person living in Spain. You do have the right to work, but we non-EU don't, unless we have the proper visa or acquire residency through marriage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, being an American means different rules ;) There seems to be different avenues to attain the same goal:
a. Residency
b. Work visa

a. Get hired while still in the US
b. Work visa

Any others?

I left out Student visa because I do not think that will be for me.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
The difference is the OP is American marrying a Spaniard, and a Libro de Familia is a requisite part of the paperwork for getting residency. You are speaking from your own experience as an EU person living in Spain. You do have the right to work, but we non-EU don't, unless we have the proper visa or acquire residency through marriage.
OK but I'm still not sure about the Libro de Familia - we tried to get one but were told that because we're not Spanish, we can't. (Just interested, that's all - maybe the rules are very different or maybe because one of the two are Spanish?)

·
Registered
212 Posts
The Libro de Familia is only for Spanish marriages. You can't get one because you're English, and your marriage certificate from there is valid in Spain to prove you're married.

·
Registered
212 Posts
For Frank bcn.
1) You said Residency, then Work visa...It's more like Marriage, Residency, Life...
Once you have residency as a spouse of a Spaniard, you don't need to think about
visas. You can live, work, etc. as your residency gives you all the rights of a Spaniard, except the right to vote. The first card is good for 5 years, and then the next for 10....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting, elisa31bcn. So, what would your recommendation be if I move there this summer, with wedding plans in the fall? Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
212 Posts
First research well all the paperwork that you will need to get married. And every place is a little different. So your fiance can go to her nearest Registro and get the list . You will surely need a copy of your birth certificate, with the Apostille, but don't get it now because it can only be 3 months old. Also if you've been married before, marriage and divorce decrees. Everything will have to be officially translated, but do that here, it's easier.
There is a document that the Consulate here provides, Certificate of No Impediment.
All the paperwork needs to be submitted together at your Registro, then after an "interview", they give you a paper that allows you to marry. You then find an available date, and have the ceremony.
Just be pateint and go step by step....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your insight. I will take these factors into consideration. Now, I need to find out about teaching in Barcelona. But that will be for another thread ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Spanish fiance and I will be doing a civil ceremony when I get to Barcelona this Summer. I would like to know what I will need to do while I am still here in the states.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Have her go to city hall to ask for the documentation you need. You might need things like your birth certificate and a certificate that says you're single. That being said, it varies from region to region so it's important to ask them directly.

Also, make sure she asks if the documents have an "expiration date." For example, certain government offices won't accept documents more than three months old.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, in Barcelona, you will need an Apostilled birth certificate, and a verification of your address for the last 2 years.The Certificate of No Impediment can be gotten in one day at the American consulate here. Everything in English will have to be officially translated.
The process can get quite lengthy, between filing the papers at the Registro, and getting
the actual approval. In Barcelona, there is quite a wait for available dates, so for a planned summer wedding, it's not too early to start things rolling.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts