Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I'm an American Au Pair looking to expat to the UK in January 2010.

What type of visa, if any, do I need? My host family seems to think that I can stay for <1 year on a US Passport and I have read that too but I've also read conflicting information that says I can't say longer than 3 months.

I know that I do not qualify for a Tier 5 visa so what do I do??

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
39,038 Posts
I'm afraid you can't work as au pair in UK.
Au pair as an immigration category closed last year, and has been replaced by Tier 5 of points based system called youth mobility scheme. It's only open to the nationals of Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Japan. The only way I can see you can work as au pair is if you've already worked for a family in US and they are bringing you over as part of their domestic staff to UK on relocation, but even then, your duties need to be more full-time, like a nanny, to be eligible.
You can come over as a visitor for up to 6 months, but you won't be able to work as au pair or in any other category. Unless you can demonstrate sufficient funds to support yourself and a firm intention to return (such as return or onward ticket), you'll be refused entry and sent back.
Ability for young US citizens to come and work in UK is severely limited, I'm sorry to say. BUNAC program that used to operate for new or recent graduates has been abolished and not revived under Tier 5 (for temporary workers).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i have more or less the same problem, but is posibble i know that for USA in UK is necessary a "blue card", more information you can find on WorldBridge's website.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.