Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It still has not sunk in that my UK fiance visa was granted, but now more questions! :p

I have seen some conflicting information on various threads regarding whether individuals who have been successfully granted UK fiance visas are subject to immigration control. I am concerned with the task of giving notice of marriage. As a rule, I am aware that I must be living in the UK for 7 days...meaning my fiance and I can give notice on the 8th day.

I have read that normally, after 7 days of residency, my fiance and I may give our 28 full days notice at our local register office. However, it has also been stated that foreign nationals subject to immigration control must give notice of marriage at a designated (not local) register office.

Am I subject to immigration control with a UK fiance visa or not? Which applies to us? Local or designated? :noidea:

Additionally, gov.uk indicates the following regarding when a notice period can be extended...
"Your notice period can be extended to 70 days if you or your partner:
- are from outside the EEA or Switzerland
- have limited or no immigration status in the UK
- don’t give the registrar enough evidence to show you’re settled in the UK"

So is it 28 days or 70 days in our case?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Of course you are subject to immigration control - that's what having a visa means. Only those who are citizens or have ILR are not subject to immigration control.

You must give notice at a designated registry office.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your prompt reply, AmyD! Designated it is. Will we fall under the 28 or 70 day rule?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
In general it's 28 days. They may extend the waiting period to up to 70 days if they are suspicious and forward your information to Home Office.

As long as everything is in order with your paperwork and your case is fairly straight forward, you shouldn't have to worry.

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
Those who hold fiancé(e) or marriage visit visa are usually subject to the normal 28-day procedure.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
I think those who are most likely to be subject to a 70-day wait are those who are already in the UK on another visa; e.g. Tier 4 student visa or YMS. As the home office has already vetted you for a settlement visa, it's unlikely you'll be scrutinised doubly for your marriage registration :) It'd still be wise to give yourself ample time, though. Congratulations on your visa and upcoming marriage!

Reactions: texasbrit

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hey, did you find out information on how to find your designated registrar?
Does it say when you get your visa back? I'm getting married on Skye (with that registrar area), but I will hopefully be living in middle Scotland, so its a bit confusing as to who I will be going to.

Reactions: texasbrit

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, did you find out information on how to find your designated registrar?
Does it say when you get your visa back? I'm getting married on Skye (with that registrar area), but I will hopefully be living in middle Scotland, so its a bit confusing as to who I will be going to.
Thank you salix, Joppa, and clever-octopus! That really puts me at ease as my fiance and I are working on a short timeline as our wedding day is August 21...yays!

HatakeSage...literally the only "new" thing in the parcel UKVI returned to me was the visa in my passport. There are no other documents or instructions they send back if your visa is granted. I had previously referred to the link salix posted to browse the list of designated register offices.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those who hold fiancé(e) or marriage visit visa are usually subject to the normal 28-day procedure.
I think I know this answer to this question Joppa, but here goes...

My fiance and I had tentative plans to do a mini European city break soon after my arrival in the UK. If I were to land in the UK on a Tuesday, travel to Europe that Wednesday, return to the UK that Sunday, and give notice of marriage that Monday I would not be fulfilling my 7 day residency requirement...correct?

Do I literally have to be on UK soil for 7 full days or will me officially being on a tenancy agreement for 7 full days be enough?

I'm sure the designated register office is subject to check my passport when my fiance and I give notice. As much as we want our romantic getaway, I want to be honest and truthful upon giving notice!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hm, that link wont work for me as I am getting married in Scotland, not england/wales

but thanks for trying, I guess I'll look around :)

after a google search I notice I can only find England/Wales
This is a bit confusing for me.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hm, that link wont work for me as I am getting married in Scotland, not england/wales

but thanks for trying, I guess I'll look around :)

after a google search I notice I can only find England/Wales
This is a bit confusing for me.
Try here: I Want to Get Married in Scotland. How Do I Go About It? | National Records of Scotland

The notice period in Scotland seems to be 28 days and could be up to 70 days. It's not clear that there are "designated" register offices in Scotland, but I haven't read all the documentation.

I'd be interested to know if you can travel during the notice period. Logically it seems to me it should be fine as long as you have established residency... looking forward to hearing if I've got this right...

Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: HatakeSage

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
All register offices in Scotland (and in Northern Ireland ) are 'designated'.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Try here: I Want to Get Married in Scotland. How Do I Go About It? | National Records of Scotland

The notice period in Scotland seems to be 28 days and could be up to 70 days. It's not clear that there are "designated" register offices in Scotland, but I haven't read all the documentation.

I'd be interested to know if you can travel during the notice period. Logically it seems to me it should be fine as long as you have established residency... looking forward to hearing if I've got this right...

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks, I'll take a look!
Yeah, I did know about the 28 day notice period, at the time we are going to submit, I hope to be there a month and a half before that notice period and we're ordering priority with quick shipping too, (so we can only hope of course). I've already counted the 8 days I'll be there and the notice period so I hope to be there before so. The only thing that will hold me back I think is a rejection, I don't think it'll take three months for the visa to come. I hope not! :(

Other than that, on the "I want to get married" form, for immigrants, what is a good example of proof of my fiance visa?
I was thinking of including receipts from applying online, receipt for priority booking, and my application in general, but I dont know for sure. Do they want proof of my relationship or just like, my visa?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Edit; I found that it says "district of marriage" so I will assume the area I am getting married in.
I have written down that register office and hope to get in contact with them asap when I move over later this year.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was in the same sutuation like you...i had fiance visa and i went to local registry office and give notice and that took 28 days....you need to be in the uk for seven days before giving notice...by the way prepare your self to provide uk address when you give notice..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.